Russ Faria Case Discussion

Russ Faria Case Discussion

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:42 pm

This case was just featured on Dateline. All sorts of info on the internet. A very recent conviction - 2013 - against what appears to be very strong alibi evidence.
erasmus44

Re: Russ Faria

Postby jane » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:34 am

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/keith-m ... ive-n51956

Another conviction that makes my skin crawl. Absurd! The man has an airtight alibi. The police tell the other suspect how to testify. The judge disallows any mention of this woman who drove the victim home that night and who was the beneficiary of her insurance policy which was signed under very suspicious circumstances.

Only 4 hours by the jury to convict. Apparently, if the prosecutor can make up a story, no matter how stupid it is, there are juries who accept it without question.
jane

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 am

As I have said before, in a husband wife case in which the husband calls 911 to report that the wife has been killed, the nature of the crime reflects passion, and the weapon is still in the house, the burden of proof really shifts to the husband to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he is innocent (see the Mark Duenas case). In this case, Faria may well have met that burden by establishing an alibi covering his whereabouts between 6 and about 9:40 pm that night. I think that the only open question is whether he could have committed the crime after 9:30 when he returned. There is vague mention that the body was stiff when the authorities arrived and I don't know for sure if that means that the crime had to have been committed long before 9:30. If so, I can't see how he could have done it. His alibi includes the testimony of 4 people all of whom would be committing serious felonies if they lied and each of whom would be subject to the enormous risk that one of the others would change his mind, rat everyone out, and lead to the other 3 being convicted of serious felonies (probably a combination of perjury and accessory to murder before the fact). I'd like to know more about the four individuals who provided alibi testimony (are any of them former convicts, what do they do for a living, do they have any blood or economic ties to the defendant, etc.). But my impression of this case is that it is one we should consider as a case to sponsor.
erasmus44

Postby acbytesla » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:10 am

The big questions I have about this case which didn't seem to be covered as well as I would like was the Time of Death and how the prosecution came to an credible estimate of that time. The alibi witnesses along with the fact that Russ Faria was captured with CC video footage at two gas stations that night on his way home I'm not sure if they were on the way to his friends house where he watched a movie with 4 friends. 3 men and 1 woman. In those videos he is wearing the same clothing that he is wearing at the police station and there is no blood on those clothes. Like the Kercher case it was suggested that Faria killed his wife naked and then put back on his clothe

The prosecutor suggested that no only was his alibi witnesses lying, but that one of them had his phone (so pings of the local antenna) would provide an alibi and also stopped at Arbys so Faris would have a 9:06 receipt also confirming his alibi.

The troubling evidence for Faria are his slippers which had his wife's blood on them.
acbytesla

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:59 am

acbytesla wrote:The big questions I have about this case which didn't seem to be covered as well as I would like was the Time of Death and how the prosecution came to an credible estimate of that time. The alibi witnesses along with the fact that Russ Faria was captured with CC video footage at two gas stations that night on his way home I'm not sure if they were on the way to his friends house where he watched a movie with 4 friends. 3 men and 1 woman. In those videos he is wearing the same clothing that he is wearing at the police station and there is no blood on those clothes. Like the Kercher case it was suggested that Faria killed his wife naked and then put back on his clothe

The prosecutor suggested that no only was his alibi witnesses lying, but that one of them had his phone (so pings of the local antenna) would provide an alibi and also stopped at Arbys so Faris would have a 9:06 receipt also confirming his alibi.

The troubling evidence for Faria are his slippers which had his wife's blood on them.

The slippers are troubling but it is kind of hard to fit them into a credible scenario of guilt. The thing that jumps out at me here is that - assuming an earlier (before 9:30 TOD), this crime would have had to involve a conspiracy of 5 people any one of whom could rat out the others if he had a change of heart, got in trouble for something else and wanted to trade a reduced sentence for testimony, or simply blurted it out when drunk to a friend. This appear very very unlikely so that the alibi raises at least reasonable doubt and, more likely, convincing evidence of innocence. The big issue is TOD.
erasmus44

Postby acbytesla » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:01 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
acbytesla wrote:The big questions I have about this case which didn't seem to be covered as well as I would like was the Time of Death and how the prosecution came to an credible estimate of that time. The alibi witnesses along with the fact that Russ Faria was captured with CC video footage at two gas stations that night on his way home I'm not sure if they were on the way to his friends house where he watched a movie with 4 friends. 3 men and 1 woman. In those videos he is wearing the same clothing that he is wearing at the police station and there is no blood on those clothes. Like the Kercher case it was suggested that Faria killed his wife naked and then put back on his clothe

The slippers are troubling but it is kind of hard to fit them into a credible scenario of guilt. The thing that jumps out at me here is that - assuming an earlier (before 9:30 TOD), this crime would have had to involve a conspiracy of 5 people any one of whom could rat out the others if he had a change of heart, got in trouble for something else and wanted to trade a reduced sentence for testimony, or simply blurted it out when drunk to a friend. This appear very very unlikely so that the alibi raises at least reasonable doubt and, more likely, convincing evidence of innocence. The big issue is TOD.

I agree. I've read that people are estimating that she was killed as early as 7:30 and at that time he was with the four friends watching a movie. Russ Faria on the way to his friends that day was wearing the same clothes that he was wearing when the police arrived at the murder scene. Now that doesn't mean that he couldn't have had a second set of clothes, entered his home murdered his wife and then put the bloody clothes in a plastic bag and disposed of them and then put the clothes that he was wearing in front of those CCTV images. Anyway, he left his friends at 8:45 to 9:00 PM stopped at the Arby's Drive through at 9:06 (receipt confirms this time) It is about 20 miles from the Arbys and home. He calls the police at 9:40 to report his wife committed suicide.

It's hard to believe that he stopped at the Arby's at 9:06 drove twenty miles and murdered his wife in 34 minutes. It seems as if it had to be earlier for him to do it..but then it doesn't fit with his alibi witnesses.
acbytesla

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:56 pm

acbytesla wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:

I agree. I've read that people are estimating that she was killed as early as 7:30 and at that time he was with the four friends watching a movie. Russ Faria on the way to his friends that day was wearing the same clothes that he was wearing when the police arrived at the murder scene. Now that doesn't mean that he couldn't have had a second set of clothes, entered his home murdered his wife and then put the bloody clothes in a plastic bag and disposed of them and then put the clothes that he was wearing in front of those CCTV images. Anyway, he left his friends at 8:45 to 9:00 PM stopped at the Arby's Drive through at 9:06 (receipt confirms this time) It is about 20 miles from the Arbys and home. He calls the police at 9:40 to report his wife committed suicide.

It's hard to believe that he stopped at the Arby's at 9:06 drove twenty miles and murdered his wife in 34 minutes. It seems as if it had to be earlier for him to do it..but then it doesn't fit with his alibi witnesses.

I believe that one of the friends said that when he heard Russ had been charged, he assumed that the theory was that the murder took place before Russ showed up to watch the movie at 6. But there is overwhelming evidence that the murder could not have taken place before 6. And - unless all four of his friends are lying and subjecting themselves to felony prosecutions - he has an alibi from 6 until well after 9 (based on the distance from where he was at 9 to his home).
erasmus44

Postby acbytesla » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:39 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
acbytesla wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:

I believe that one of the friends said that when he heard Russ had been charged, he assumed that the theory was that the murder took place before Russ showed up to watch the movie at 6. But there is overwhelming evidence that the murder could not have taken place before 6. And - unless all four of his friends are lying and subjecting themselves to felony prosecutions - he has an alibi from 6 until well after 9 (based on the distance from where he was at 9 to his home).

I read the same thing. That only after they read about the timeline did they say "NO WAY".

That seems to be the issue. I have to wonder if she could have been murdered between 9:25 and 9:40? What did they use to come up with the time of death? The prosecution from what I have seen has avoided virtually any mention of timeline. The prosecutor in her closing arguments suggested that the alibi from the friends was false and one of them actually had his phone and delivered it to his home after the murder. Because the cellular evidence also backs up his story of where he was and at what time.
acbytesla

Postby AW2B » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:17 pm

jane wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/keith-morrison-house-sumac-drive-n51956

Another conviction that makes my skin crawl. Absurd! The man has an airtight alibi. The police tell the other suspect how to testify. The judge disallows any mention of this woman who drove the victim home that night and who was the beneficiary of her insurance policy which was signed under very suspicious circumstances.

Only 4 hours by the jury to convict. Apparently, if the prosecutor can make up a story, no matter how stupid it is, there are juries who accept it without question.

WOW!! What evidence did the prosecution have? I mean other than the pure speculation that his friends lied about his alibi?!
AW2B

Postby LarryK » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:14 am

I don't have time to watch the whole episode, but it certainly seems worthy of more research here. Did the prosecutor rule out his alibi, or did s/he only speculate on how he could have been guilty anyway? How was the crime scene evidence tested?
The brain is not configured in a way that makes obedience through logical, language-based propositions possible during distress and suffering. -- James Wilder, "Neurotheology and the Life Model"
LarryK

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 am

I am going to dig into this some more. It appears that the prosecutor's argument was based on a relatively early (before 9pm) TOD and an assumption that the 4 alibi witnesses were lying and that one of the alibi witnesses kept Faria's cellphone. This appears very implausible but I am trying to get more info on TOD and the credibility of the alibi witnesses. There are other issues. Given that he wore the same outfit that whole evening and no blood was on him or his clothes, the theory is apparently that he went home, took off all of his clothes, put on his slippers, committed the crime in the nude (wearing his slippers), then took off his slippers (with blood on them), carried them into his bedroom and put them in his closet, showered and fully cleaned himself, and then put his clothes back on. If he was so careful to avoid getting blood on his clothes, it is kind of hard to imagine why he put on his slippers and then didn't get rid of them.
The cellphone is another problem. If he left it with a friend to be dropped off at the house after the crime was over, he ran the risk that the police would check where his cellphone was when they arrived to investigate in the first place.
Then there is the risk that each of the 4 alibi witnesses would take (prosecution for perjury and accessory before the fact to murder) by providing a false alibi. The risk is that one of the 4 would change his or her mind and turn on the other 3 leading to their prosecution and serious prison sentences.
It is really hard to imagine how a jury decided that there wasn't, at a minimum, reasonable doubt here.
erasmus44

Postby acbytesla » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:05 am

erasmus44 wrote:I am going to dig into this some more. It appears that the prosecutor's argument was based on a relatively early (before 9pm) TOD and an assumption that the 4 alibi witnesses were lying and that one of the alibi witnesses kept Faria's cellphone. This appears very implausible but I am trying to get more info on TOD and the credibility of the alibi witnesses. There are other issues. Given that he wore the same outfit that whole evening and no blood was on him or his clothes, the theory is apparently that he went home, took off all of his clothes, put on his slippers, committed the crime in the nude (wearing his slippers), then took off his slippers (with blood on them), carried them into his bedroom and put them in his closet, showered and fully cleaned himself, and then put his clothes back on. If he was so careful to avoid getting blood on his clothes, it is kind of hard to imagine why he put on his slippers and then didn't get rid of them.
The cellphone is another problem. If he left it with a friend to be dropped off at the house after the crime was over, he ran the risk that the police would check where his cellphone was when they arrived to investigate in the first place.
Then there is the risk that each of the 4 alibi witnesses would take (prosecution for perjury and accessory before the fact to murder) by providing a false alibi. The risk is that one of the 4 would change his or her mind and turn on the other 3 leading to their prosecution and serious prison sentences.
It is really hard to imagine how a jury decided that there wasn't, at a minimum, reasonable doubt here.

I'm in full agreement. We know that Betsy was murdered after 7:00 PM as she talked to her daughter on the phone at that time. The other suspect identified by the defense was Betsy's friend Hupp. Hupp said she was with Betsy until about 7:25.
Russ Faria's 4 alibi witnesses have him with them up until about 8:45. Russ stopped at an Arbys drive through twenty miles from home at 9:06 and he called 911 at 9:40. A Medic said that her body was cold and stiff at 9:50. The stiff description leads me to think that rigor mortis had begun. The few Internet sources I've read says that this process begins between 2 hours to 6 hours post mortem. Which means it would have been impossible for Russ to murder his wife after he arrived home.

And given that Russ has 4 people who say that he was with them watching a movie and his cell phone shows that it was at their location as well, it all comes down to this alibi. I really don't see how people can discard this alibi so easily.
acbytesla

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:20 am

acbytesla wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:I am going to dig into this some more. It appears that the prosecutor's argument was based on a relatively early (before 9pm) TOD and an assumption that the 4 alibi witnesses were lying and that one of the alibi witnesses kept Faria's cellphone. This appears very implausible but I am trying to get more info on TOD and the credibility of the alibi witnesses. There are other issues. Given that he wore the same outfit that whole evening and no blood was on him or his clothes, the theory is apparently that he went home, took off all of his clothes, put on his slippers, committed the crime in the nude (wearing his slippers), then took off his slippers (with blood on them), carried them into his bedroom and put them in his closet, showered and fully cleaned himself, and then put his clothes back on. If he was so careful to avoid getting blood on his clothes, it is kind of hard to imagine why he put on his slippers and then didn't get rid of them.

I'm in full agreement. We know that Betsy was murdered after 7:00 PM as she talked to her daughter on the phone at that time. The other suspect identified by the defense was Betsy's friend Hupp. Hupp said she was with Betsy until about 7:25.
Russ Faria's 4 alibi witnesses have him with them up until about 8:45. Russ stopped at an Arbys drive through twenty miles from home at 9:06 and he called 911 at 9:40. A Medic said that her body was cold and stiff at 9:50. The stiff description leads me to think that rigor mortis had begun. The few Internet sources I've read says that this process begins between 2 hours to 6 hours post mortem. Which means it would have been impossible for Russ to murder his wife after he arrived home.

And given that Russ has 4 people who say that he was with them watching a movie and his cell phone shows that it was at their location as well, it all comes down to this alibi. I really don't see how people can discard this alibi so easily.

The two issues I am going to try to drill down on are TOD and the credibility of the alibi witnesses (do they have criminal records? are they relatives or business partners with the defendant? exactly who are they?). This may put us in the position to assert that this is one of those cases in which we can assert that he is innocent beyond a reasonable doubt.
erasmus44

Postby acbytesla » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:10 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
The two issues I am going to try to drill down on are TOD and the credibility of the alibi witnesses (do they have criminal records? are they relatives or business partners with the defendant? exactly who are they?). This may put us in the position to assert that this is one of those cases in which we can assert that he is innocent beyond a reasonable doubt.

Those do seem like the over riding factors in my mind. Unless his friends are perjuring themselves in a murder case, I simply cannot see how Russ Faria personally murdered his wife. That doesn't mean who couldn't have hired someone to do it, but there is no evidence of that. The only real evidence implicating Faria are the bloody slippers in his closet.The Medic's description seems to rule out a Post 9:30 time of death. But it seems as if the prosecution doesn't really believe that the murder took place after 9:00 either...so it all comes down to the alibi.

How do you dismiss 4 witnesses who say that you were with them watching a movie, without something to discredit those witnesses?
acbytesla

Postby jane » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:35 pm

Link to "The House on Sumac Drive", the 6 part episode shown on Friday, March 14, plus some extra clips:

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dateline/53976997#54680533
jane

Postby jane » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Article with videos from St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... 033c8.html
jane

Postby erasmus44 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:48 pm

jane wrote:Article with videos from St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

This is another good source. It appears that both this source and Dateline lean strongly toward innocence.
erasmus44

Postby Justinian » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:32 am

Just watched the Dateline which aired on 3/14/14. It's like the Amanda Knox case in many respects. It had a police department that knew the truth before they started trying to coerce an incriminating statement from the suspect. That took the word of the murderer, who stood to get the $100,000 life insurance, to incriminate the husband and (almost) the three people that were his alibi. It's the story of a prosecutor that told wild, speculative stories of what happened and presented it as truth. It's the story of a questionable judge and a whole justice system run amuck.

Lincoln County, MO (KSDK) - The husband of a woman found stabbed to death in her Troy, Missouri home last week has been charged with her murder.
Russell Scott Faria was arrested Wednesday by the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office and charged with first degree murder and armed criminal action.
Faria's wife, Elizabeth "Betsy" Faria, was found in her home in the 100 block of Sumac Drive December 27 with multiple stab wounds.

http://fox2now.com/2014/03/10/the-faria ... rt-part-3/

Italy doesn't have a monopoly on bad judges, prosecutors, and police.
Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don’t know and I don’t care. -- Jimmy Buffett
Anti-intellectualism is plausibly anger against those that undermine ones' biases.
Justinian

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 am

Justinian wrote:Just watched the Dateline which aired on 3/14/14. It's like the Amanda Knox case in many respects. It had a police department that knew the truth before they started trying to coerce an incriminating statement from the suspect. That took the word of the murderer, who stood to get the $100,000 life insurance, to incriminate the husband and (almost) the three people that were his alibi. It's the story of a prosecutor that told wild, speculative stories of what happened and presented it as truth. It's the story of a questionable judge and a whole justice system run amuck.

Lincoln County, MO (KSDK) - The husband of a woman found stabbed to death in her Troy, Missouri home last week has been charged with her murder.
Russell Scott Faria was arrested Wednesday by the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office and charged with first degree murder and armed criminal action.
Faria's wife, Elizabeth "Betsy" Faria, was found in her home in the 100 block of Sumac Drive December 27 with multiple stab wounds.

http://fox2now.com/2014/03/10/the-faria ... rt-part-3/

Italy doesn't have a monopoly on bad judges, prosecutors, and police.

I am trying to develop more information on this one so that we may consider it as a case to sponsor. One interesting tidbit - apparently one juror - after the conviction - said something to the effect of "I'm not really sure he is guilty but if he is innocent they can always fix it on appeal." Wow!!
erasmus44

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:12 pm

It looks like I will be able to get more information on this case this week and after reviewing it I will probably recommend that we sponsor it. It has the potential to be a case where a powerful case for actual innocence can be made.
erasmus44

Postby McGirr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Here is the dateline documentary.

Has there been a trust set up, the dateline episode suggests they never received a cent, but then again if it is in a trust they wont until they are 18.

Watch on youtube.com
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby McGirr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 pm

The Jury:
First vote 6-6
After 4 hours the remaining 6 were talked into a guilty decision.

What was discussed was:
It was clear the defence attorney was pointing at someone else as a suspect.
They discussed that suspect. They were talked out of it.

The reasons for the guilty finding.
Alibi was not believed.
55 stab wounds indicate rage.
Bloody slippers.
Police say there was a trail of blood leading to a kitchen drawer.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:57 pm

McGirr wrote:The Jury:
First vote 6-6

What was discussed was:

Alibi was not believed.
Bloody slippers.

As I understand it, the defense was not permitted to put on a full case concerning the alternate hypothesis. Since he was wearing the same clothes all that night, the theory must be that he came home, stripped naked but put on his slippers, committed the crime, got blood on his slippers, showered to take the blood off his body, and then put the bloody slippers away in his closet. The alibi evidence involved 4 witnesses who offered to take polygraphs -each of whom would have risked serious felony prosecution for perjury and accessory to murder if they were lying. The alibi was confirmed by evidence concerning the location of his cell phone and receipts and videos of him at various locations. No real DNA evidence against him but the big thing here is the alibi. One juror was contacted after the verdict by someone who witnessed the trial and was aware of the evidence which was excluded and told him that they convicted the wrong man. After the juror heard about the evidence, he apparently agreed. I am beginning to feel uneasy about this case. Much as it is hard for me to admit it, this case may start to rival the Kirstin Lobato case for the honor of being the Hope Diamond of Wrongful Convictions.
erasmus44

Postby McGirr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:09 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
First vote 6-6

What was discussed was:

Alibi was not believed.
Bloody slippers.

As I understand it, the defense was not permitted to put on a full case concerning the alternate hypothesis. Since he was wearing the same clothes all that night, the theory must be that he came home, stripped naked but put on his slippers, committed the crime, got blood on his slippers, showered to take the blood off his body, and then put the bloody slippers away in his closet. The alibi evidence involved 4 witnesses who offered to take polygraphs -each of whom would have risked serious felony prosecution for perjury and accessory to murder if they were lying. The alibi was confirmed by evidence concerning the location of his cell phone and receipts and videos of him at various locations. No real DNA evidence against him but the big thing here is the alibi. One juror was contacted after the verdict by someone who witnessed the trial and was aware of the evidence which was excluded and told him that they convicted the wrong man. After the juror heard about the evidence, he apparently agreed. I am beginning to feel uneasy about this case. Much as it is hard for me to admit it, this case may start to rival the Kirstin Lobato case for the honor of being the Hope Diamond of Wrongful Convictions.

The theory was:

He had his slippers on and stood in some blood and immediately took them off.

The prosecution claim he drove to his friends on the game night and left his phone there and returned to his home to commit murder and one of his friends from the game night then drove his mobile phone back to him at his house and stopped along the way to get the receipt for 9.09 pm to complete the perfect alibi and mobile timeline.

The Juror was taken aback by the suppressed evidence after the phone call and expressed dismay about the Judicial system.

There is so much mounting evidence about Pam Hudd, and essentially the defence had a right to cross examine in my opinion. The only good thing about this is that in the re trial they will have alot to cross examine with. That will be sensational news should it return to court for a re trial.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:03 pm

McGirr wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:
First vote 6-6

What was discussed was:

Alibi was not believed.
Bloody slippers.

The theory was:

The prosecution claim he drove to his friends on the game night and left his phone there and returned to his home to commit murder and one of his friends from the game night then drove his mobile phone back to him at his house and stopped along the way to get the receipt for 9.09 pm to complete the perfect alibi and mobile timeline.

The Juror was taken aback by the suppressed evidence after the phone call and expressed dismay about the Judicial system.

There is so much mounting evidence about Pam Hudd, and essentially the defence had a right to cross examine in my opinion. The only good thing about this is that in the re trial they will have alot to cross examine with. That will be sensational news should it return to court for a re trial.

Under that theory the friends would be chargeable as "accessory before the fact" in most states or even possibly as co-conspirators and would be looking at very very serious time if convicted. Each one of the four alibi witnesses would be aware that, at any point, one of the other three could get cold feet and turn state's evidence blowing the plot and resulting in a long trip up the river. Nowadays, even the Mafia has trouble enforcing silence in this kind of situation.
erasmus44

Postby McGirr » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:14 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
McGirr wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:
First vote 6-6

What was discussed was:

Alibi was not believed.
Bloody slippers.

The theory was:

Under that theory the friends would be chargeable as "accessory before the fact" in most states or even possibly as co-conspirators and would be looking at very very serious time if convicted. Each one of the four alibi witnesses would be aware that, at any point, one of the other three could get cold feet and turn state's evidence blowing the plot and resulting in a long trip up the river. Nowadays, even the Mafia has trouble enforcing silence in this kind of situation.

To that end the friends have been openly and publicly challenging the DA to charge them.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby erasmus44 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 pm

I have obtained some more information on this case and it appears that there were a number of erroneous rulings in the course of the trial. I think it is a case we should sponsor. The alibi evidence is overwhelming and it is one of the clearest cases of actual proof of innocence I have seen.
erasmus44

Postby Chris_Halkides » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:28 pm

http://rantsofapublicdefender.blogspot. ... faria.html

"So they went with a completely cockamamie story that defies all logic."

"The prosecution can present whatever cockamamie theory they can come up with, then say because this is their theory, the defense can't present this other sensible information."
Chris_Halkides

Postby erasmus44 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Chris_Halkides wrote:http://rantsofapublicdefender.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-inexplicable-case-of-russ-faria.html

"So they went with a completely cockamamie story that defies all logic."

"The prosecution can present whatever cockamamie theory they can come up with, then say because this is their theory, the defense can't present this other sensible information."

One would think that a defendant could present evidence that someone else committed the crime. If the evidence is weak, then the prosecution can argue it is weak and the jury can evaluate it and decide to reject it. But in some states the evidence has to be excluded and cannot even be put before the jury. And the reasoning is interesting. It has to be excluded because, even if very weak, the evidence might mislead a gullible jury to jump to the conclusion that someone else did it (because we all know that juries are gullible and can reach the conclusion that someone committed a crime even if there is really no credible evidence that he did it).
Hmmmm. Doesn't this rationale for exclusion "prove too much" as we used to say in law school. In fact, doesn't it undermine the basis for our entire criminal justice system and for the ironclad rule that jury verdicts must be given great deference.
In this case, the exclusion was particularly prejudicial because the prosecutor was able to argue "if he didn't do it, then who else could possibly have done it? A ghost?"
I really think that this case may displace the Lobato case of the Hope Diamond of Wrongful Convictions.
erasmus44

Postby Free Russ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:14 pm

Hello, I am alibi witness #1 from the Faria Murder trial. While I won't leave my name here, it isn't hard to figure out with a little research. I've been doing all the reading I can on this case and cases like it since the verdict and stumbled across this forum. I'm in a unique position to answer any of the questions that you'd like to pose to me regarding us, that night and the trial. To answer some of the things I've already seen....

We all are gainfully employed and work full time and have for many years.

Myself, my girlfriend and 2 other friends of ours along with Russ were at my house that night from 6-9pm. We watched 2 movies--the new Conan and The Road. It was a boring night. We smoked a little mj. We normally meet every Tuesday night from 6-9pm and had been doing so for 2-3 years previous for our game night. That night one of our buddy's had to pull a night shift so I decided instead to watch movies instead of breaking out one of our games.

None of us has criminal records. Though I did get arrested 21 years ago for failure to pay an Excessive Vehicle Noise ticket which I took care of within an hour and was released.

While my gf and I of 21 years have known Russ for almost 20 years, we'd only known the other friends we had over that night for about a year at that point--this experience however has now made us all 'best of friends'. The PA vilified us, but anyone and everyone that knows us knows we are telling the truth.

We were interviewed by the Major Case Squad on 2 occasions and thought that we'd all been cleared of any wrongdoing.

We've cooperated in the state's investigation and only wanted to tell the truth about that night. After we testified and learned about the timeline, we then realized that Russ could not have done this crime. We'd had our doubts due to the media coverage in the area and what the investigators were telling us, but when you look at everything, Betsy had to have been murdered between 7 and 730 that night. At that time we'd been watching Conan for an hour and hadn't put The Road in yet.

While Dateline was great, the local Fox affiliate Fox2 did a fantastic job and the front page story on the Post-Dispatch was good as well. Make sure to read the comments on the STLtoday story--Pam Hupp and I get into it. I also have a link to the local Topix forum thread about this trial where I post under this same name. Links are below...

http://fox2now.com/?s=faria&search_submit=

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/troy-mo ... 95J8813KFA

Free Russ Faria on fb

Unlike Lincoln County, we will talk to anyone about this travesty and will answer all questions. We've already publicly challenged them to arrest us. Luckily we all live in a different county and it is much less corrupt here.
Free Russ

Postby McGirr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Free Russ wrote:Hello, I am alibi witness #1 from the Faria Murder trial. While I won't leave my name here, it isn't hard to figure out with a little research. I've been doing all the reading I can on this case and cases like it since the verdict and stumbled across this forum. I'm in a unique position to answer any of the questions that you'd like to pose to me regarding us, that night and the trial. To answer some of the things I've already seen....

We all are gainfully employed and work full time and have for many years.

Myself, my girlfriend and 2 other friends of ours along with Russ were at my house that night from 6-9pm. We watched 2 movies--the new Conan and The Road. It was a boring night. We smoked a little mj. We normally meet every Tuesday night from 6-9pm and had been doing so for 2-3 years previous for our game night. That night one of our buddy's had to pull a night shift so I decided instead to watch movies instead of breaking out one of our games.

None of us has criminal records. Though I did get arrested 21 years ago for failure to pay an Excessive Vehicle Noise ticket which I took care of within an hour and was released.

While my gf and I of 21 years have known Russ for almost 20 years, we'd only known the other friends we had over that night for about a year at that point--this experience however has now made us all 'best of friends'. The PA vilified us, but anyone and everyone that knows us knows we are telling the truth.

We were interviewed by the Major Case Squad on 2 occasions and thought that we'd all been cleared of any wrongdoing.

We've cooperated in the state's investigation and only wanted to tell the truth about that night. After we testified and learned about the timeline, we then realized that Russ could not have done this crime. We'd had our doubts due to the media coverage in the area and what the investigators were telling us, but when you look at everything, Betsy had to have been murdered between 7 and 730 that night. At that time we'd been watching Conan for an hour and hadn't put The Road in yet.

While Dateline was great, the local Fox affiliate Fox2 did a fantastic job and the front page story on the Post-Dispatch was good as well. Make sure to read the comments on the STLtoday story--Pam Hupp and I get into it. I also have a link to the local Topix forum thread about this trial where I post under this same name. Links are below...

http://fox2now.com/?s=faria&search_submit=

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/troy-mo ... 95J8813KFA

Free Russ Faria on fb

Unlike Lincoln County, we will talk to anyone about this travesty and will answer all questions. We've already publicly challenged them to arrest us. Luckily we all live in a different county and it is much less corrupt here.

A Big Welcome Free Russ ,

This is most wonderful to have you on the forum.I hope Injustice Anywhere sponsors this case. I think we all can see a grave injustice happening here. In fact most of America from what i can gather can see what a miscarriage of Justice this case is. I have yet to hear anyone not say this is a wrongful conviction. I really look forward to hearing your views on what happened. I am Daithi from Ireland, and this would never be acceptable anywhere in the world where there is court of law.

I have signed the petition to the Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster.

http://www.change.org/petitions/missour ... e_petition

I would encourage other people to do the same.

My reasons and perhaps, posters could help improve on this were:

The defence was not allowed to cross examine Pam Hupp, The prosecution tempered reasonable doubt and undermined truthfulness by making unfair aspersions against the alibi witnesses even tarnishing them as co conspirators where there is no just cause to do so. New evidence has emerged of witness rehearsal of Pam Hupp, of her honesty in relation to a charity scheme and the fact the police did not luminol her car or rule her out as a suspect despite her timeline circumstance on the night. Pam Hupp has contradicted herself about going into the house.More indepth forensics need to be carried out on the slippers and the light-switch and the trail of blood must be re examined. Were some of the unusual injuries sustained post mortem. Were the phone records of Pam Hupps beacon signals available during trial and used in evidence...The prosecution used a fantastical theory to win their case, it was wrong and the defence should be allowed use everything in their arsenal to defend against such under the belt tactics.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby erasmus44 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

This is one of the worst I have seen in terms of a case in which the evidence of actual innocence is so strong.
erasmus44

Postby Chris_Halkides » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Juan Rivera had both an alibi courtesy of an electronic monitoring bracelet, and the fact that the DNA matched someone else. But a confession can top both, even when it is false.
Chris_Halkides

Postby Free Russ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:59 pm

My views on what happened that night and all the happenings since are, unfortunately, now 'tinted' by my complete lack of faith in our justice system.

The last 2 years we only wanted to tell everyone what we knew to be the truth of where Russ was that night and what he was doing with us. All this time we cooperate with the authorities and never even retained lawyers (now I know that we should have). From the start we were a little amazed that the investigators only wanted to ask us about the boardgames and role-playing games that we usually play on Tuesday nights, but after a couple of 'interviews' we never heard from the authorities again until Deposition 18 months later. Again, we all told them what happened that night still unsure if our friend Russ was really involved or not (God I feel so bad about that in hindsight). Then trial another 4 months later and we again tell our version of the night. But this time, after we'd testified, we met a man in the waiting area that told us the approximate timeline that the state was working with and we realized--Russ could NOT have done this! We've been trying to stand up for him and let people hear his story since then.

I firmly BELIEVE that the PA, judge and members of the sheriff's office had something fishy going on. I believe that had our testimony not been as rock solid as it was that they would have arrested us and sent us up the river like they did Russ and try to pin it on all of us. I know, it sounds crazy and a year ago I would have thought the same....but not now. I hate that I think like that, because I didn't used to think this way...

As I said, check out all the stories and videos in the links I posted above and it will give you a much more involved story than Dateline laid out. Also, interesting to note that the AG of Mo appointed special asst. Richard Hicks to assist Ms. Askey in this case. He apparently didn't get the memo that they weren't going to talk about the case when he jumped on the Dateline fb feeds after the show that night and got into a public debate with the viewers and then me. He never would answer my question though...

Here's another good link to a public defender's blog about this case...a very well-informed write-up.
http://rantsofapublicdefender.blogspot. ... l?spref=fb
Free Russ

Postby acbytesla » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:44 pm

Free Russ wrote:My views on what happened that night and all the happenings since are, unfortunately, now 'tinted' by my complete lack of faith in our justice system.

The last 2 years we only wanted to tell everyone what we knew to be the truth of where Russ was that night and what he was doing with us. All this time we cooperate with the authorities and never even retained lawyers (now I know that we should have). From the start we were a little amazed that the investigators only wanted to ask us about the boardgames and role-playing games that we usually play on Tuesday nights, but after a couple of 'interviews' we never heard from the authorities again until Deposition 18 months later. Again, we all told them what happened that night still unsure if our friend Russ was really involved or not (God I feel so bad about that in hindsight). Then trial another 4 months later and we again tell our version of the night. But this time, after we'd testified, we met a man in the waiting area that told us the approximate timeline that the state was working with and we realized--Russ could NOT have done this! We've been trying to stand up for him and let people hear his story since then.

I firmly BELIEVE that the PA, judge and members of the sheriff's office had something fishy going on. I believe that had our testimony not been as rock solid as it was that they would have arrested us and sent us up the river like they did Russ and try to pin it on all of us. I know, it sounds crazy and a year ago I would have thought the same....but not now. I hate that I think like that, because I didn't used to think this way...

As I said, check out all the stories and videos in the links I posted above and it will give you a much more involved story than Dateline laid out. Also, interesting to note that the AG of Mo appointed special asst. Richard Hicks to assist Ms. Askey in this case. He apparently didn't get the memo that they weren't going to talk about the case when he jumped on the Dateline fb feeds after the show that night and got into a public debate with the viewers and then me. He never would answer my question though...

Here's another good link to a public defender's blog about this case...a very well-informed write-up.

Welcome to the forum Russ. I don't blame you for thinking that sheriff's office might have arrested you as well. This forum was originally created to discuss and assist Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, both of whom are as innocent as Russ Faria. Raffaele, seems to have been suspected merely because he was Amanda's alibi and as such they had to implicate him to get Amanda so they did it.

I'm signing your petition and definitely think Russ has a very good chance to overcome this injustice. You and your friends seem key to his exoneration. I'm curious, did Russ's wife Betsy ever join your group on game/movie night? And did there seem to be any problems between them? Not that this is evidence of anything. Just curious.
acbytesla

Postby Free Russ » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Nah...I don't think Betsy was really interested though she would have always been welcome. Betsy and Russ had problems in the past like many couples and had even split up for a little while. But had gotten back together and had worked hard from all I know to make things work for 4 or 5 years before her death I believe. We didn't know much about his personal life and I didn't even know that Betsy's cancer had come back this time in her liver until the police informed me of that in an interview. We knew each other as good as you'd know somebody that comes over for a few hours a week to play games. While we'd known each other a long time, we were by no means 'best friends' or anything like that. The only stories of Russ being abusive or anything like that came from his wife's 'friend'. The self-described best friend to Betsy that nobody had even known about until a week before her death and who ended up getting the ins money.
Free Russ

Postby acbytesla » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:30 pm

Free Russ wrote:Nah...I don't think Betsy was really interested though she would have always been welcome. Betsy and Russ had problems in the past like many couples and had even split up for a little while. But had gotten back together and had worked hard from all I know to make things work for 4 or 5 years before her death I believe. We didn't know much about his personal life and I didn't even know that Betsy's cancer had come back this time in her liver until the police informed me of that in an interview. We knew each other as good as you'd know somebody that comes over for a few hours a week to play games. While we'd known each other a long time, we were by no means 'best friends' or anything like that. The only stories of Russ being abusive or anything like that came from his wife's 'friend'. The self-described best friend to Betsy that nobody had even known about until a week before her death and who ended up getting the ins money.

I know the last part. I would imagine that you must have been good friends if Russ was coming over every week to play games for years. You said, not best friends, but I can't imagine inviting someone over for hours each week if I did not like them.
acbytesla

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:30 am

We knew each other well enough that I allowed him to my house every week and I'd never thought that I'd have anything to worry about with him. None of us really knew any of his family aside from his wife before all of this and we didn't even really know Betsy all that well. Since this case we've become close with his family and are helping them any way we can in trying to get Russ's freedom. My relationship with Russ was based almost solely around gaming--we'd even met each other way back when because we both used to play the same wargame 20 years ago--Warhammer 40k.

I actually have no doubt that Russ will have his freedom again eventually, but I also have no doubt that Lincoln County will try to do everything possible to drag their feet in this matter. They held him for 2 years before trying him and I expect no different behavior concerning his appeal. Funny how the vast majority of America and those that know about this case in other parts of the world believe in his innocence but for some reason Lincoln County will never admit that they are wrong (as it is with most justice systems that are this seriously flawed).
Free Russ

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:19 am

Free Russ wrote:My views on what happened that night and all the happenings since are, unfortunately, now 'tinted' by my complete lack of faith in our justice system.

I went on Dateline's Facebook page and I couldn't seem to find the comments of Richard Hicks - I would like to see them so that I can get some idea of the prosecution's rationale in this case. If you can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
erasmus44

Postby acbytesla » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Free Russ wrote:We knew each other well enough that I allowed him to my house every week and I'd never thought that I'd have anything to worry about with him. None of us really knew any of his family aside from his wife before all of this and we didn't even really know Betsy all that well. Since this case we've become close with his family and are helping them any way we can in trying to get Russ's freedom. My relationship with Russ was based almost solely around gaming--we'd even met each other way back when because we both used to play the same wargame 20 years ago--Warhammer 40k.

I actually have no doubt that Russ will have his freedom again eventually, but I also have no doubt that Lincoln County will try to do everything possible to drag their feet in this matter. They held him for 2 years before trying him and I expect no different behavior concerning his appeal. Funny how the vast majority of America and those that know about this case in other parts of the world believe in his innocence but for some reason Lincoln County will never admit that they are wrong (as it is with most justice systems that are this seriously flawed).

Well unfortunately, Lincoln County is not unlike countless others that we on this forum have noticed. One of the things we have noticed is how the prosecuting jurisdiction tends to dig its heels in to avoid having to overturn even a very bad decision. Russ's hope is with the higher courts. Keep the media pressure on them and eventually this case will be thrown out. But unfortunately, it is likely to take a couple of years probably at minimum.

It could be worse for Russ...(sounds hard to believe) But I just read about a man in Japan who was released after 40 years on Death Row based on a coerced confession. DNA evidence helped exonerate him. Unfortunately the man now has severe mental issues.
acbytesla

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:01 pm

I am going to try and go through post by post and answer some questions since I have some time on my hands tonight and my gf is sick.

As for Time of Death...this was never pinpointed to any certainty. Either the initial investigators (the Major Case Squad) were completely inept or the prosecution hid this evidence. There was never any TOD established. The first responder paramedic testified that she was 'cold and stiff' when he arrived.

The ridiculously convoluted story that the PA told in closing was done so, I believe, in order to invalidate our rock-solid testimony and in the process attempt to negate the evidence that shows we aren't lying. We live in a very dense neighborhood and somebody would have seen one of us leaving that night. Also, surely they pulled all of our phone records and they would show where we all were that night. Tuesday night is a normal thing for us and the rest of us still do game night. Can't wait to have Russ back, game night isn't the same without him.

Not only did Russ have a receipt for dinner after he left. One of the other alibi witnesses also went and got a late dinner after he left my house--the one the PA specifically named as helping Russ commit this crime. His Jack in the Box recpt was presented at trial to show that he was getting dinner at about the same time that Russ was about a mile away from my house(about 30 miles from Russ's house). The PA attacked the receipt that was produced and said it was further evidence of an 'overdone' alibi...ya can't win with these people.

Ahhh...the bloody slippers. You know I think I know what happened with those based on what I know from Russ's family now. Apparently, Betsy and Russ used to both wear those slippers on and off. Even at trial DNA analysis apparently showed that both Russ's and Betsy's DNA were present in the slippers in roughly equal amounts. If you watch the video footage that shows the crime scene photos, look at her feet. Her socks are halfway pulled off, as if shoes were removed after death. I bet that Betsy was wearing the slippers and the reason that blood is only on the top is because it dripped down onto them from HER. Then the real killer pulled off the slippers and threw them in the closet...

I should be a detective. A whole lot better than the stuff Lincoln County came up with...
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:13 pm

acbytesla wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:

According to the original testimony of Pam Hupp, she dropped Betsy off at home at 7pm and left. Then, when confronted with evidence that showed her phone was still there at least until 7:30, she changed her story on the stand and said that she had gone inside to the living room and hall. Then after the trial in the ambush interview with Fox2's Chris Hayes she said that she had gone into the bedroom. She's now admitted to being in the rooms that evidence has been found in. Betsy received a call from her daughter shortly after 7 that night, telling her that she was going to be getting a phone call from the cell phone company to add some new phones to her plan (or something like that)...she never answered these calls that started around 7:14 and ended around 7:30.

I still don't know exactly where he lived out in Troy, but I do know it was not in town--it was somewhere to the west of Troy. When I used to visit family out that way, it would take me 35-40 minutes to get to their place north of Troy by a few miles. I can't see any way he could make the trip in less than 30 minutes and likely a little longer.
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:17 pm

AW2B wrote:
jane wrote:http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/keith-morrison-house-sumac-drive-n51956

WOW!! What evidence did the prosecution have? I mean other than the pure speculation that his friends lied about his alibi?!

None.
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:25 pm

acbytesla wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:

Those do seem like the over riding factors in my mind. Unless his friends are perjuring themselves in a murder case, I simply cannot see how Russ Faria personally murdered his wife. That doesn't mean who couldn't have hired someone to do it, but there is no evidence of that. The only real evidence implicating Faria are the bloody slippers in his closet.The Medic's description seems to rule out a Post 9:30 time of death. But it seems as if the prosecution doesn't really believe that the murder took place after 9:00 either...so it all comes down to the alibi.

How do you dismiss 4 witnesses who say that you were with them watching a movie, without something to discredit those witnesses?

You know, I've dealt with this question quite a bit since the trial when I first started trying to let everyone know about this injustice. After much talk with the other alibi witnesses (who don't have much of an online presence) we've all decided that all we can say is that we OWN the TRUTH of that night. Nobody will ever be able to refute what we say or trip us up, because we only have to remember what happened that night and it really was a pretty boring night. Lord knows the investigators tried their best...lying to us blatantly, good cop/bad cop, you know everything they show on TV. It was annoying and I never want to have to go through that type of interrogation again, but nobody can change our truth of that night. Also, interesting to note that we've not spoken with Russ in 2 years, yet obviously none of what any of us has said has strayed from what we say happened that night--because it is and always will be TRUE.
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:35 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
First vote 6-6

What was discussed was:

Alibi was not believed.
Bloody slippers.

We never offered to take polygraphs, but we were never asked either. During trial, PA Askey apparently told the court that we had refused to take polygraph tests, which is a lie. Each of us has 40-50+ pages of transcripts of our interviews/interrogations and at no time did anybody ask any of us to take a polygraph test. At deposition, we were asked to submit DNA, but we refused telling them that we would be happy to do so if a judge signed off on the warrant. We don't trust Lincoln County and never will--very corrupt justice system out there. We would definitely submit to a polygraph or DNA test if it was performed by a legitimate 3rd party source.

There is no way Russ did this. I had my doubts for almost 2 years, but only because we were kept in the dark. After hearing that Russ was NOT the last person to see her alive I knew he couldn't have done it--time just doesn't allow...
Free Russ

Postby Sinsaint » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Nice to meet you Free Russ. Has anyone set up a website for your friend yet? Started any change.org petitions, Wikipedia page?
Sinsaint

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:00 pm

erasmus44 wrote:

I went on Dateline's Facebook page and I couldn't seem to find the comments of Richard Hicks - I would like to see them so that I can get some idea of the prosecution's rationale in this case. If you can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

That's a really good question.

After noticing that you couldn't find them, I went to look as well. The entire thread that he posted on now appears to be missing. The name of that thread was 'What do you think of Russ's alibi?' it had a 1000 posts just on that one thread and it is now gone. That's very interesting, because after the Dateline story broke a rather large thread on the Topix forum I had been frequenting also disappeared. When I inquired with the webmaster what happened the reply was 'Hello, The thread has been removed for postings of unsubstantiated accusations, insults and personal information.' The only accusation on that thread were from a few very vicious posters that seemed to know an awful lot about the case. I have my conspiracy theory thoughts about all of that...

I will send an email to Dateline and find out what happened to that thread and let you know.
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Sinsaint wrote:Nice to meet you Free Russ. Has anyone set up a website for your friend yet? Started any change.org petitions, Wikipedia page?

Free Russ Faria on fb.

No webpage yet, but it is in the works. A change.org petition is listed on the fb page as well as ways to contact MO officials about all of this. His family has also set up a way to donate to his legal fund. I have a hard time keeping up with everything they are doing. My job is to just keep getting the word out so I try to focus on that. Wikipedia page is a good idea, I will mention it to them.

Any other useful tidbits to help me in getting the word out? I email lots of people and try to post lots on fb and forums. I've done a radio interview as well as all the Dateline and Fox2 stuff and I'm hoping for more as the word spreads far and wide. Dateline really helped LOTS getting the word out, but we're looking at other media giants now as well, just have to keep bothering them.
Free Russ

Postby lane99 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Free Russ wrote:Hello, I am alibi witness #1 from the Faria Murder trial...we will talk to anyone about this travesty and will answer all questions. We've already publicly challenged them to arrest us...

You've challenged Lincoln County to arrest you. So it seems you're willing to risk being arrested and going to prison for defending Russ Faria. Is that correct?
lane99

Postby Free Russ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Well, we challenged them because we know, just like they do, that their story is utter hogwash. They won't dare repeat it outside of the courtroom for fear of civil litigation. I've asked Richard Hicks over and over what he thought our role was that night and he would not answer in the Dateline fb feeds. Even Betsy's family will not accuse us of anything because they've likely been told by the PA not to repeat it I'm sure.

I won't dare go into Lincoln County though...on advice from 3 different lawyers. If I was to go there...no telling what might happen to me and I've got responsibilities so I would never risk that. I can't express the anger that we feel over this whole thing--not that they LIED about us and smeared our good names, but that they used that LIE to convict my innocent friend. They wanted to do it to us as well...but our testimony was too solid--the truth is easy to remember.
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:19 am

I remember noticing in the body of this thread somebody mentioning Betsy's children and the 'trust fund'.

I do believe that the children are now over the age of 21 and thus adults(they were Betsy's children from a previous marriage I believe, though Russ accepted them as his own). While that matters little in the grand scheme of things, it undermines the whole idea of having a trust set up until they are adults. Also, they claim they've received no money from the beneficiary. As far as the 'revokable trust' is concerned, I'm not even certain that there's been any evidence of any such thing ever being set up. It was testified that it had been done, but I believe Chris Hayes(Fox2 investigative reporter) had said that there is no proof of such claims.
Free Russ

Postby Sinsaint » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:17 am

Hey Free Russ... Do you know the current status of any appeals that have been filed?
Sinsaint

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am

I know it has been filed.

I think this is it, but I'm no lawyer...
http://localtvktvi.files.wordpress.com/ ... 615560.pdf
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:21 am

I do not know the status of the appeal though.

Someone told me that they contacted the AG about the appeal and got the response back that they were awaiting documents from the defense lawyer. I will hopefully find out about the validity of that statement later today.
Free Russ

Postby lane99 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Free Russ wrote:...The only stories of Russ being abusive or anything like that came from his wife's 'friend'. The self-described best friend to Betsy that nobody had even known about until a week before her death...

Nobody? So even Russ had never heard of Pam Hupp?

Free Russ wrote:...We live in a very dense neighborhood and somebody would have seen one of us leaving that night...

a) By "somebody" I assume you mean someone other than you four alibi witnesses, yes? Ok, so was there some such person then that saw Russ when he left your house at the time you say he did?

b) And speaking of people who would have seen Russ, did the clerk who would have served him at Arby's testify that he was there at 9:09pm?
lane99

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:36 pm

lane99 wrote:
Free Russ wrote:...The only stories of Russ being abusive or anything like that came from his wife's 'friend'. The self-described best friend to Betsy that nobody had even known about until a week before her death...

Nobody? So even Russ had never heard of Pam Hupp?

Free Russ wrote:...We live in a very dense neighborhood and somebody would have seen one of us leaving that night...

a) By "somebody" I assume you mean someone other than you four alibi witnesses, yes? Ok, so was there some such person then that saw Russ when he left your house at the time you say he did?

b) And speaking of people who would have seen Russ, did the clerk who would have served him at Arby's testify that he was there at 9:09pm?

I do not know how long Russ had known about Ms. Hupp. I haven't talked to him in 2 years. Members of his family that were close with Russ and Betsy as well as some other friends of theirs say that they only learned about her a week or 2 before the incident.

a) That is what I mean yes. The police told me in an interrogation that a neighbor of mine had told them that somebody left my house during the time that we've said all along that we were here. They were lying to me though in an attempt to get me to change my story or something--they pulled the same stuff with my gf and my friends that were here that night too. Picked us all up at the same time and brought us to different locations and leaned on us. After the fact, we compared notes and discovered that they had said that to all of us. I just told them that whoever they talked to was either mistaken or that they were lying to me. Must've been a lie, because nothing ever came up about it in trial. None of the neighbors that I know saw anything that night. Not surprising though since the neighbors are used to seeing a bunch of cars at my house on Tuesday nights and likely wouldn't even pay attention to the cars or when they left since we followed our normal time schedule for that night.

b) No clerks testified at the trial and I do not know if the police interviewed any of them. He had the receipt for his dinner still in the bag in his vehicle I believe when the police arrived. Due to the stretched out timeframe that this all happened in, it wouldn't surprise me if whatever employee served him doesn't even work there anymore or for some time (you know the turn over rate at fast food places).
Free Russ

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:52 pm

Something I just remembered...

Russ would have had to pass numerous red light cameras (at least 3) on his way to get dinner after he left here and then back to Troy. That's not counting any red light cameras that he would pass in Troy. I would bet the prosecution has the video that shows him when he passed them, but didn't use it because it didn't support their case. I also suspect that they pulled all of our cell phone records for that night, but that didn't get shown in trial by them either because that would blow their story. You've got to remember that the PA didn't go down the 'friends conspiracy' road until closing arguments--the defense had no opportunity to counter those ridiculous accusations and had no idea that they would make them.
Free Russ

Postby acbytesla » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:12 pm

Free Russ wrote:Something I just remembered...

Russ would have had to pass numerous red light cameras (at least 3) on his way to get dinner after he left here and then back to Troy. That's not counting any red light cameras that he would pass in Troy. I would bet the prosecution has the video that shows him when he passed them, but didn't use it because it didn't support their case. I also suspect that they pulled all of our cell phone records for that night, but that didn't get shown in trial by them either because that would blow their story. You've got to remember that the PA didn't go down the 'friends conspiracy' road until closing arguments--the defense had no opportunity to counter those ridiculous accusations and had no idea that they would make them.

The red light cameras may only catch someone passing by if someone runs a red. That is how many of them work. However, you would imagine that there are more than a few overhead CCTV cameras at some of these intersections that got an image of the vehicles. But they can be poor if the lighting isn't good or he was traveling at a good rate of speed. My guess is that they just couldn't find any that are clear enough to declare..yea, that's his vehicle. I'm surprised the fast food place didn't have CCTV footage, but then they might not keep that footage very long.
acbytesla

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Free Russ wrote:Something I just remembered...

The prosecutor's theory assumes a premeditated plan to commit murder and therefore excludes the possibility of a sudden fit of rage at something the victim said or did. It also assumes running enormous risks of being observed en route. Then, when home, he apparently took off all of his clothes, but put on his slippers, committed the crime and put his bloody slippers in his closet, and then showered off the blood on his body without leaving any trace of blood in the plumbing. And then - I guess - he just waited around for a while before calling it in because there was quite a time lag between the crime and his call. Again risking the arrival of someone at his house or at the house where the movie was being watched during that interim. He also risked having one of you change your mind and turn state's evidence. There is also the risk that someone would call his cell phone while it was not in his possession and blow his cover on that issue or that he would be searched before he got his cell phone back.
All of this to kill someone who had only a short time to live.
erasmus44

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:03 pm

I know...pretty stupid stuff huh?

If you read all the stories of the trial closely, you can see that it looks as though at the start of the proceedings, the prosecution was calling the murder a 'crime of passion' and this is what they've appeared to sell to her family, but then at the end, they called it a 'conspiracy'(with no evidence) because their case was so weak. Seems to me they have 2 different stories about that night--neither of them proven in any way, shape or form...unfortunately they are incompatible with each other. I think in desperation at the end of the proceedings, the PA brought out the conspiracy story with all the crazy 'ultimate role-play' sensationalism and got the jurors to fear her more than their future guilty consciences. I mean really, this crazy stuff they did to him they(Lincoln County) could do to anyone that is within reach of their law enforcement. That's scary.

I believe the real reason that the jury gave a guilty verdict is because of the questionable justice system in Lincoln County. These jurors know who the PA and Judge are and vice-versa and come from families that have been there for generations...retaliation is a b**ch in smalltown Missouri. The people even talk about the corruption openly on the Topix forum I post to...of course they are anonymous there so they feel safe to comment.
Free Russ

Postby acbytesla » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:40 pm

Free Russ wrote:I know...pretty stupid stuff huh?

If you read all the stories of the trial closely, you can see that it looks as though at the start of the proceedings, the prosecution was calling the murder a 'crime of passion' and this is what they've appeared to sell to her family, but then at the end, they called it a 'conspiracy'(with no evidence) because their case was so weak. Seems to me they have 2 different stories about that night--neither of them proven in any way, shape or form...unfortunately they are incompatible with each other. I think in desperation at the end of the proceedings, the PA brought out the conspiracy story with all the crazy 'ultimate role-play' sensationalism and got the jurors to fear her more than their future guilty consciences. I mean really, this crazy stuff they did to him they(Lincoln County) could do to anyone that is within reach of their law enforcement. That's scary.

I believe the real reason that the jury gave a guilty verdict is because of the questionable justice system in Lincoln County. These jurors know who the PA and Judge are and vice-versa and come from families that have been there for generations...retaliation is a b**ch in smalltown Missouri. The people even talk about the corruption openly on the Topix forum I post to...of course they are anonymous there so they feel safe to comment.

I'm not sure I buy your final comment although that may have bee a reason for a few of the jurors. It is my understanding the jury was evenly split 6 to 6 at the beginning of their deliberations. That says some people had doubts. They also didn't hear the evidence about Ms Hupp. I'd bet that if they know what the viewers what saw the Dateline or fox special, they would have even stronger reservations against a guilty verdict.
acbytesla

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:55 pm

Yea...one of the people from Troy was commenting on the Topix forum and he said he had heard that the jurors were 'livid'. And you are likely right...while I doubt the entire jury was intimidated into convicting, I do believe it likely played at least a small factor. Four hours of deliberations is ridiculously small though. Also, the guy that commented that he 'wasn't 100%, but he knew Russ would get an appeal' (paraphrasing)--it's one level of stupidity to actually do such a thing and it's a completely different level of stupidity to reveal that to a Post-Dispatch reporter.
Free Russ

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Free Russ wrote:I know...pretty stupid stuff huh?

This is going to be controversial but here goes. Lincoln County Missouri seems to have a very very high percentage of its population whose heritage is Germanic. I myself am descended from German immigrants so I can open up my fat mouth on this issue. I think that there may be some tendency for this group to respect and trust those in positions of authority and to assume that the government is honest and above board. I know that that is how I was raised. This is a factor in all jury trials but it may be a bigger factor in Lincoln County. Trial lawyers have long had "rough rules of thumb" with respect to certain national, racial and religious groups as well as certain occupations and age groups. Germans are generally considered to be good for prosecutors and insurance companies. I will leave it at that.
erasmus44

Postby Free Russ » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:14 pm

There are lots of people with German heritage in this area, though honestly I don't know if that would play anything.

I just know that something stinks about the whole investigation, trial and verdict. I can't say exactly why things went so off-kilter with all of these proceedings, I just know that they obviously did.
Free Russ

Postby acbytesla » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Free Russ wrote:Yea...one of the people from Troy was commenting on the Topix forum and he said he had heard that the jurors were 'livid'. And you are likely right...while I doubt the entire jury was intimidated into convicting, I do believe it likely played at least a small factor. Four hours of deliberations is ridiculously small though. Also, the guy that commented that he 'wasn't 100%, but he knew Russ would get an appeal' (paraphrasing)--it's one level of stupidity to actually do such a thing and it's a completely different level of stupidity to reveal that to a Post-Dispatch reporter.

It's hard to respect this guy and his comment. Anyone who knows anything about the judicial system knows that it runs slowly and that he is probably putting a man in prison for another year or two. Especially when you consider how long Russ Faria was in jail awaiting trial. If this guy actually had that thought in the jury room, then it shows that he had reasonable doubt and wanted someone else to make the decision. God forbid it was him. What a puetz.

The jury had little reason to be intimidated. But that doesn't mean they weren't. What they were, was spineless. Take the guy, who said that he knew that Russ would have an appeal. They were more afraid of putting a killer back on the street than sending an innocent man to prison. That is backwards. While no one wants to release a killer, I would be more troubled with the idea of sending someone innocent to prison.
acbytesla

Postby hoping for justice » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi everyone. I am a friend of both Russ and Betsy. It is possible I might be able to address some, not all, of the personal questions. Let me start by saying Betsy's mom told me that Pam Hupp and Betsy worked together some ten years earlier at State Farm. She told me Pam had recently popped back into Betsy's life. None of the people I have talked to that were close with Betsy, including myself, had heard of Pam Hupp until a week or two before Betsy was murdered. The Faria's were part of our small group at church and we spent a lot of time together on a social level as well. Betsy was kind of an open book with her life and for her to have never mentioned Pam was odd. She wrote journals in the "Caring Bridge" a cancer patient website. In all her entries, Pam's name was NEVER mentioned and Pam never wrote her in the on line guest book. (and there were a lot of entries).

The TOD was never established. The prosecution basically said it could have been anywhere from 7-9:30 best I can determine. When the first responder arrived he mentioned the body was cold and hard which meant rigor was already starting to set in. The prosecution argued that it could have been a "Cadaveric spasm" thought according to the appeal, they had nothing to back that. There was no internal temperature taken because they were concerned there may have been liver damage from her treatments. However, the blood in most of the areas was already drying. To me that indicates it would have to have been longer than a few minutes. IMO there is no way this could have occurred after he got home. Beside not having enough time to murder and clean himself, he would have had to clean up all evidence. In regards to him showering... they took the plumbing apart in the kitchen and the bathroom and not only did it not have blood, they said it had not been recently used. How could he have showered, cleaned up all traces of evidence and had pipes that had not been recently used.

Pam was the last one to see allegedly Betsy alive. She picked Betsy up with the intention of taking her home to "bed" according to Betsy's text to Russ. This after Betsy had sent a text to Pam specifically telling Pam not to pick her up because she was spending time with another friend she had not seen in a while and wanted some one on one time. Pam was the beneficiary of a policy that was changed just days before, cutting out not just Russ but Betsy's daughters as well. (and yes the girls are older, one is about to turn 20 and the other just turned 24 I believe). No one knew Betsy was making this change. The only one who claimed to have any knowledge was Hupp. (including Betsy's family) However, she did tell me and two other people who were very close to her within 2 weeks before her death, that she and Russ were good with life and good with God. If something happened to her first, she and Russ would be taken care of and vice versa. This was another testimony the court was able to hear but during which the jury was asked to leave the courtroom. The majority of accusations of a bad relationship and threats Russ allegedly made, originally came from Pam. I am telling you this not to accuse her of the murder. I tell you these things because the reason none of the testimony or evidence that had to do with Pam was deemed inadmissible by the prosecution and the judge because they said Pam did not have a "direct connection" with the case. So because of that, no cross examination (and Pam is not the only one his attorney was not able to cross examine), no mention of insurance or beneficiary money, and no mention of phone pings even though Pam lied about where she was multiple times. In fact her phone pinged in or near the Faria home at 7:24 ish. That call was to tell Betsy she was home. She left a vmail for Betsy because she did not answer. She left a vmail saying she was home in OFallon MO nearly 30 minutes away from the Faria home. Mind you, the prosecution, in her opening statement, said Russ was a greedy man who was angry about the insurance money going to someone else (paraphrasing). Askey uncorked the insurance issue wide open when she brought it up but then objected when Mr Schwartz brought it up and the judge made him stop talking about it and warned him not to bring it up again.

My spouse was at all 4 days of the trial and I was there the day of closing statements and the verdict. The evidence the prosecution had was so weak that like "Free Russ", my spouse and I both think Askey changed her story from angry greedy husband who killed his wife in a crime of passion to manipulative, cunning, mastermind who had been plotting with his friends for years on how to murder his wife. Russ is a good man. He is smart... He is funny... He is loving... He is protective But he is NOT a mastermind (and I meant that in the nicest way) Seriously, something is very very wrong here!
hoping for justice

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:50 pm

acbytesla wrote:
Free Russ wrote:Yea...one of the people from Troy was commenting on the Topix forum and he said he had heard that the jurors were 'livid'. And you are likely right...while I doubt the entire jury was intimidated into convicting, I do believe it likely played at least a small factor. Four hours of deliberations is ridiculously small though. Also, the guy that commented that he 'wasn't 100%, but he knew Russ would get an appeal' (paraphrasing)--it's one level of stupidity to actually do such a thing and it's a completely different level of stupidity to reveal that to a Post-Dispatch reporter.

It's hard to respect this guy and his comment. Anyone who knows anything about the judicial system knows that it runs slowly and that he is probably putting a man in prison for another year or two. Especially when you consider how long Russ Faria was in jail awaiting trial. If this guy actually had that thought in the jury room, then it shows that he had reasonable doubt and wanted someone else to make the decision. God forbid it was him. What a puetz.

The jury had little reason to be intimidated. But that doesn't mean they weren't. What they were, was spineless. Take the guy, who said that he knew that Russ would have an appeal. They were more afraid of putting a killer back on the street than sending an innocent man to prison. That is backwards. While no one wants to release a killer, I would be more troubled with the idea of sending someone innocent to prison.

It is my impression that this juror's attitude is not that unusual. The entire system has a kind of buck passing quality to it. I think many prosecutors indict with an attitude of "we're really not sure but the jury should have an opportunity to decide." Many jurors think that the prosecution wouldn't indict unless they were sure of guilt. Appellate courts consider jury verdicts virtually infallible. Individuals on the jury look to other jurors for leadership. It is very possible for someone to be convicted even though everyone in the process - prosecutor, judge, jurors - has serious doubt about guilt.
The other issue is that I am not really sure we are more trouble about convicting an innocent man as opposed to freeing a guilty man. When the crime is brutal, there is an attitude that "someone must be punished for this" - the victim's family is in court and the jury has to face them when reading the verdict and has a strong desire to give them "closure" which only a conviction can really provide. As a result, only if a clear showing of innocence can be made, is an acquittal likely.
Of course, in this case a clear showing of innocence was made and it would be even clearer if the jury were allowed to hear all the evidence. What troubles me is the question - if this guy could get convicted, just who in the world gets acquitted? Could I be convicted for masterminded the assassination of Abraham Lincoln? Wow!
erasmus44

Postby MichaelB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:00 am

I watched the Dateline and think he's likely innocent. Timeline + Alibi witnesses seem rock solid and Pam Hupp is a con-artist.
The stupid things Ergon says - THE BEST OF NASEER AHMAD: "Curatolo's testimony is one of the bedrock foundations of my beliefs in this case."
MichaelB

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:33 am

Does Betsy's family support Russ' innocence?
Sinsaint

Postby Free Russ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:42 am

No. The police convinced them early on that Russ did this.

In the Dateline interview with her mom, when she was asked if she would still think Russ did this even if shown strong contradictory evidence, she stated that she will always believe Russ did it.

Stunned....smh
Free Russ

Postby jane » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 am

Free Russ wrote:No. The police convinced them early on that Russ did this.

In the Dateline interview with her mom, when she was asked if she would still think Russ did this even if shown strong contradictory evidence, she stated that she will always believe Russ did it.

Stunned....smh

Is there any financial benefit for Betsey's family in Russ's conviction?
jane

Postby Free Russ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:05 am

Some of Russ's other family and supporters may end up piping in here...I let the 'inner circle' of supporters know about this forum as was illustrated by the above posting by one of their church friends.

I do not know of any financial benefit in it for Betsy's family. I do know that they have not seen any of the money at this time, at least that is what they told Dateline and Fox2.
Free Russ

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:10 am

We welcome their input. And please let them know this is not a site where they will be bashed. I guess IA is very selective in the cases they take on. That said, there is a wealth of information here about things you can do on your own to bring awareness to his cause.
Sinsaint

Perry Mason moment?

Postby lane99 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 am

Free Russ wrote:...According to the original testimony of Pam Hupp, she dropped Betsy off at home at 7pm and left. Then, when confronted with evidence that showed her phone was still there at least until 7:30, she changed her story on the stand and said that she had gone inside to the living room and hall...

"Changed her story on the stand"? The report I've seen indicates she told police she had gone inside the house when she spoke to them the day after the murder.
lane99

Re: Perry Mason moment?

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 am

lane99 wrote:
Free Russ wrote:...According to the original testimony of Pam Hupp, she dropped Betsy off at home at 7pm and left. Then, when confronted with evidence that showed her phone was still there at least until 7:30, she changed her story on the stand and said that she had gone inside to the living room and hall...

"Changed her story on the stand"? The report I've seen indicates she told police she had gone inside the house when she spoke to them the day after the murder.

http://fox2now.com/2013/11/22/secret-co ... rder-case/

TROY, MO (KTVI)– You`re about to hear evidence kept from a jury in a high profile murder case. Jurors convicted Russell Faria in the stabbing death of his wife, Betsy.

Arguably, some of the most intriguing facts in this Troy, Missouri case, were suppressed by the Judge. This is evidence that came out in open court, during the murder trial of Russell Faria, but after the Judge ordered jurors to take recess. The evidence involves victim Betsy Faria`s friend, who may have been the last person to see Betsy alive.
We`re talking about Pam Hupp who testified that she drove Betsy home at around seven the night of the murder. She admitted staying about 20 minutes.

According to testimony, Betsy failed to pick up important phone calls that she was expecting from her daughter at 7:21, 7:26 and 7:30.

Court records indicate Hupp`s cell phone was in the area during those times, but the jury did not hear that Hupp told police she was home at 7:27 p.m. On a map, produced by a defense forensic expert, you can see a ping from Hupp`s cell phone at 7:27. It’s near the Faria home and far away from her O’Fallon home. Incourt, we also heard Hupp first told police, and Betsy`s mother, that she did not go into Betsy`s home when she dropped her off. However, she changed her story on the stand, admitting she did enter and stayed for awhile.

According to court testimony – days before the murder – Betsy`s life insurance was changed into Pam Hupp`s name. According to testimony, Hupp currently controls those proceeds.

Russ Faria`s defense attorney, Joel Schwartz uncovered this and presented it during trial. The Judge ordered the jury to leave during the testimony. Schwartz commented, “if I was a juror, I’d be extremely offended.” He continued, “We were able to show where this particular person was, who stated she had already gotten homeand the Judge would not allow us to get into that.” Chris Hayes asked,”And you think the jury had every right.” Schwartz answered, “Absolutely the jury had every right. That person testified.”

Lincoln County Prosecutor Leah Askey believes the secret evidence is not relevant. Hayes asked Askey, “Are the jurors going to be surprised and upset when they find out they didn’t hear certain things?” Askey answered, “No, I don’t believe so. Part of our process, part of our constitution gives us different rightsand there’s protocol that goes into every case that’s tried and so things that are prejudicial to either one side or the other, you know the Judge has to weigh those things.”
Sinsaint

Re: Perry Mason moment?

Postby MichaelB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:55 am

lane99 wrote:

Geez you're a pest...... :juggle:
The stupid things Ergon says - THE BEST OF NASEER AHMAD: "Curatolo's testimony is one of the bedrock foundations of my beliefs in this case."
MichaelB

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:57 am

What little i have read so far sounds like the judge precluded Russ from presenting an alternate theory of the crime.
Sinsaint

Postby Free Russ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:10 am

First off, I DID NOT sit through the entire trial. Since we were witnesses, we weren't allowed to hear anything before our testimony and since we all work full time, we only got the day off that we needed to testify on (the trial closed the next day anyway). Some of my information may not be exactly right, though I've had extensive conversations with the family and the lawyer about the happenings at trial.

I've now confirmed with family about the changes made to the story on the stand...

Ms. Hupp WAS questioned by the defense atty, but most of it was with the jury out of the room as per the judges ruling on what he was allowed to present to jurors. She changed 2 facts on the stand from what her family can remember--she changed the amount of time she spent at the house and brought up the bedroom at that time(which apparently hadn't been mentioned before).

Hopefully the family will monitor this conversation because they are in a far better position to answer these types of questions. So, I may or may not be a pest ;)
Free Russ

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:37 am

Free Russ wrote:First off, I DID NOT sit through the entire trial. Since we were witnesses, we weren't allowed to hear anything before our testimony and since we all work full time, we only got the day off that we needed to testify on (the trial closed the next day anyway). Some of my information may not be exactly right, though I've had extensive conversations with the family and the lawyer about the happenings at trial.

I've now confirmed with family about the changes made to the story on the stand...

Ms. Hupp WAS questioned by the defense atty, but most of it was with the jury out of the room as per the judges ruling on what he was allowed to present to jurors. She changed 2 facts on the stand from what her family can remember--she changed the amount of time she spent at the house and brought up the bedroom at that time(which apparently hadn't been mentioned before).

Hopefully the family will monitor this conversation because they are in a far better position to answer these types of questions. So, I may or may not be a pest ;)

I think the pest remark was aimed at Lane 99.
Sinsaint

Postby Free Russ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:47 am

Yea, after I re-read that I figured that out...but I've been called worse--pest isn't so bad. Not worth me editing it now.
Free Russ

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:14 pm

I think Lane 99 just believes if you were convicted, you did it. She just likes to make sure everyone knows it.
Sinsaint

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Sinsaint wrote:What little i have read so far sounds like the judge precluded Russ from presenting an alternate theory of the crime.

Yes. This will be a key issue on appeal. One would think that a defendant should be free to present alternate theories of the crime. If there are weaknesses in those theories, then the prosecutor can rebut the evidence and the jury can weigh the evidence and decide if the theory has any validity. However, many states have strict limitations on the introduction of this kind of evidence. My understanding is that the reason this evidence is often excluded is that there is a concern that juries have a tendency to "jump to conclusions" and can easily be confused or misled - thus, the introduction of evidence that someone else did it - even if such evidence is weak or defective - could easily lead a jury to become confused and jump to the conclusion that the alternate perp was guilty.
Of course, this line of reasoning really "proves too much" because, if true, it means that those same juries that are subject to being misled by evidence of alternate perps can also be misled by the prosecutor's evidence that the defendant committed the crime. The same jury characteristics - gullibility, the tendency to be confused or to jump to conclusions - that serve as the basis for exclusion of alternate theories of the crime - also explain why we have so many wrongful convictions.
In this case, the problem is apparently exacerbated by the fact that the judge allowed the prosecutor to argue "if not Russ, who else could possibly have done it" in closing argument. This is the equivalent of tying someone's legs to the ground and then asking him to run the 100 yard dash in 10 seconds.
erasmus44

Postby lane99 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:22 pm

Free Russ wrote:...Some of my information may not be exactly right...

Yes, there have been some contradictions, and some of the things you've said are not true. Which is perhaps ironic, since Russ Faria's supporters are so eager to portray upon any such discrepancies, if derived from Pam Hupp, as ominous and suspicious.
lane99

Postby Free Russ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Well, again, I'm sorry that I wasn't in the courtroom the entire time and mis-spoke upon what I'd thought I'd heard. So I will only answer the questions that relate to my involvement in the case and defer the rest of the information to others.
Free Russ

Postby Sinsaint » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:57 pm

lane99 wrote:

Yes, there have been some contradictions, and some of the things you've said are not true. Which is perhaps ironic, since Russ Faria's supporters are so eager to portray upon any such discrepancies, if derived from Pam Hupp, as ominous and suspicious.

I'm not seeing anything Free Russ misspoke on. Care to enlighten me?
Sinsaint

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:11 pm

lane99 wrote:

lane99 seems to side with the prosecution in virtually every case, assuming that if a person is convicted they must be guilty. It reminds me of certain people in the financial sector who subscribe to the Efficient Market Hypothesis - if a stock is trading at $75 a share, it doesn't matter if it is a POS, has crooked management, has too much leverage, and is heading for Chapter 11. The market is always right and if it is trading at $75 a share it is worth $75 a share. These folks are often the ones who lose the most money when "unpleasant surprises" emerge.
erasmus44

Postby McGirr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:26 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
lane99 wrote:

lane99 seems to side with the prosecution in virtually every case, assuming that if a person is convicted they must be guilty. It reminds me of certain people in the financial sector who subscribe to the Efficient Market Hypothesis - if a stock is trading at $75 a share, it doesn't matter if it is a POS, has crooked management, has too much leverage, and is heading for Chapter 11. The market is always right and if it is trading at $75 a share it is worth $75 a share. These folks are often the ones who lose the most money when "unpleasant surprises" emerge.

I like your analogy erasmus44. Lane99 is in fact a very savvy investor. Business had increased 1600% since 1990.

In 1984 the Corrections Corporation of America (CXW) revolutionized the way prisons in the United States operate. The company took over a prison facility in Hamilton County, Tennessee -- the first time a private operator was contracted to run a jail. More prison companies were created and contracts continued to flow -- between 1990 and 2010 the number of privately operated prisons in the U.S. increased 1600%. The increase in privately operated prisons has outpaced both the growth of public prison facilities and even the U.S. population.

The Geo Group, Inc.(NYSE:GEO) Is another company with prisons in United states, Canada , Austrailia, and South Africa and the united Kingdom.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:01 pm

McGirr wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:
lane99 wrote:

I like your analogy erasmus44. Lane99 is in fact a very savvy investor. Business had increased 1600% since 1990.

In 1984 the Corrections Corporation of America (CXW) revolutionized the way prisons in the United States operate. The company took over a prison facility in Hamilton County, Tennessee -- the first time a private operator was contracted to run a jail. More prison companies were created and contracts continued to flow -- between 1990 and 2010 the number of privately operated prisons in the U.S. increased 1600%. The increase in privately operated prisons has outpaced both the growth of public prison facilities and even the U.S. population.

The Geo Group, Inc.(NYSE:GEO) Is another company with prisons in United states, Canada , Austrailia, and South Africa and the united Kingdom.

Prisons are a big business in the USA. It used to be hard to "site" a new prison because communities did not want one in their midst but now in rural American communities are anxious to have prisons as a source of employment and it has become politically hard to close prisons. We have roughly 2.3 million Americans incarcerated and the number has been growing rapidly until the last few years when state budget constraints have slowed it down. It costs about $35,000 a year to incarcerate someone (about the level of tuition at Harvard Medical School) and so the decision to convict a middle aged man and send him away for the rest of his life implies at least a $1 million outlay. You would think that before committing to spend that kind of money, we would want to be really sure we weren't making a mistake but this is apparently not the case.
erasmus44

Postby hoping for justice » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:41 pm

appeal hupp part.docx
Sinsaint wrote:
lane99 wrote:

I'm not seeing anything Free Russ misspoke on. Care to enlighten me?

Some people tried to give Hupp the benefit of doubt but the more she talked the less credible she seemed. "Free Russ" may have gotten a few minor unimportant factors incorrect (though what he has said so far has been pretty much dead on) but Hupp contradicts thing she herself previously said or did. I am trying to attach a small portion of the appeal showing just some of the things she changed about her stories. Again, I am not accusing her, just saying there was and is cause for suspicion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoping for justice

Postby McGirr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 pm

erasmus44 wrote:
McGirr wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:
lane99 wrote:

Prisons are a big business in the USA. It used to be hard to "site" a new prison because communities did not want one in their midst but now in rural American communities are anxious to have prisons as a source of employment and it has become politically hard to close prisons. We have roughly 2.3 million Americans incarcerated and the number has been growing rapidly until the last few years when state budget constraints have slowed it down. It costs about $35,000 a year to incarcerate someone (about the level of tuition at Harvard Medical School) and so the decision to convict a middle aged man and send him away for the rest of his life implies at least a $1 million outlay. You would think that before committing to spend that kind of money, we would want to be really sure we weren't making a mistake but this is apparently not the case.

It is a vicious circle, with a prison built in a rural town, it becomes a local source of revenue, the result if they need prisoners to keep it running. With a 1600% increase in prisons built since 1990 you have a huge array of satellite businesses that supply and serve the prison, in turn you have rural job creation. If that prison closes, it will create a vacuum that would destroy 80% the town's economy overnight. To keep it all running you need prisoners.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 am

Does Hupp have a criminal record?

Where did her husbands phone ping when she called him?

How long does he have to wait to hear about his appeal?
MichaelB

Postby Justinian » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 pm

lane99 wrote:
Free Russ wrote:Hello, I am alibi witness #1 from the Faria Murder trial...we will talk to anyone about this travesty and will answer all questions. We've already publicly challenged them to arrest us...

You've challenged Lincoln County to arrest you. So it seems you're willing to risk being arrested and going to prison for defending Russ Faria. Is that correct?

Free Russ,

Hello and good luck! :clap:
Let's see if I can sum this up:

Point 1a) Four exemplary citizens with no motive to lie, say that Russ was with them when the victim was murdered.
Point 1b) One person with a significant life insurance policy on the victim tells a story that opposes the four exemplary citizens. She has no alibi at the time of death.

The judge in the trial in which I was a jurist gave the jury instructions that each piece of evidence should be beyond a reasonable doubt. It seems that point 1a has already been established beyond a reasonable doubt and that the defendant must be found innocent. At the time, the jury didn't know that the one witness pointing the finger at the husband was the recipient, at that time, of a significant insurance policy. Still, it's 4 to 1.

Point 2a) Receipts and cell tower records verify Russ's story and that of the four alibi witnesses.
Point 2b) A ludicrous fairy tale concocted by the prosecutor opposes the facts.

The original vote of the jury was 6-6. I conjecture then that the jurists that believed the defendant was innocent decided they wanted to go home and, therefore, voted with the others (the pro guilt people). It seems that the people in favor of the government and punishment are more motivated than the others. Perhaps they enjoyed jury duty and didn't want the trial to end. Perhaps they were the jurists that enjoyed their little stipend. The jurists with more to lose financially because they had better jobs, may have been those originally in favor of innocence but got bored and stressed with a prolonged deliberation.

I need to refresh myself on the details.
Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don’t know and I don’t care. -- Jimmy Buffett
Anti-intellectualism is plausibly anger against those that undermine ones' biases.
Justinian

Postby lane99 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm

Free Russ wrote:...I'm sorry that I wasn't in the courtroom the entire time and mis-spoke...

Perfectly understandable. Happens to everyone.

hoping for justice wrote:...Pam lied about where she was... In fact her phone pinged in or near the Faria home at 7:24 ish...She left a vmail for Betsy because she did not answer. She left a vmail saying she was home in OFallon MO nearly 30 minutes away from the Faria home...

Can you provide evidence that such a voicemail exists? If what you say is true, Russ Faria's appeal document could have contained much stronger arguments on his behalf than it currently does.
lane99

Postby erasmus44 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:01 pm

Justinian wrote:
lane99 wrote:

Free Russ,

Hello and good luck! :clap:
Let's see if I can sum this up:

Point 1a) Four exemplary citizens with no motive to lie, say that Russ was with them when the victim was murdered.
Point 1b) One person with a significant life insurance policy on the victim tells a story that opposes the four exemplary citizens. She has no alibi at the time of death.

The judge in the trial in which I was a jurist gave the jury instructions that each piece of evidence should be beyond a reasonable doubt. It seems that point 1a has already been established beyond a reasonable doubt and that the defendant must be found innocent. At the time, the jury didn't know that the one witness pointing the finger at the husband was the recipient, at that time, of a significant insurance policy. Still, it's 4 to 1.

Point 2a) Receipts and cell tower records verify Russ's story and that of the four alibi witnesses.
Point 2b) A ludicrous fairy tale concocted by the prosecutor opposes the facts.

The original vote of the jury was 6-6. I conjecture then that the jurists that believed the defendant was innocent decided they wanted to go home and, therefore, voted with the others (the pro guilt people). It seems that the people in favor of the government and punishment are more motivated than the others. Perhaps they enjoyed jury duty and didn't want the trial to end. Perhaps they were the jurists that enjoyed their little stipend. The jurists with more to lose financially because they had better jobs, may have been those originally in favor of innocence but got bored and stressed with a prolonged deliberation.

I need to refresh myself on the details.

Jury dynamics are complex - as Yeats said "the best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity." The juror who is "sure" he knows what happened exerts more force than the juror who acknowledges doubt. There also is the double jeopardy concern - if we acquit him, he can never be tried again but if we convict him, it can always be reexamined on appeal. Remember that lots of evidence we are now aware of was not put before the jury due to questionable rulings by the trial judge. Still I really can't see how anyone who sat through this one could bend his mind into the posture of "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."
erasmus44

Postby Free Russ » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:17 pm

This entire case and then trial, from what I see mostly on the outside, was completely bungled.

The fact that the investigators would focus so much time on us and games that we play on Tuesday nights is stupefying. We didn't even play any games that night and still it was an issue....when did we suddenly teleport back to the 80's and start playing Beatles &/or Iron Maiden records backwards again?? There were certainly other things that needed to be looked at--stuff that 'they' say is always important to a murder case. Things like motive and opportunity or even something like evidence. They asked us the same things over and over and even tried their 'non-thruthful' ways to attempt to elicit some kind of a response from us that goes against our truth. Going so far as to have a dozen detectives pick us all up early in the morning at our residences and bringing us all to separate locations and interviewing/interrogating us for hours certainly took them away from looking into some other things that still remain unanswered, very important things.

I don't even know where to start with the prosecution of this case. I'll not go into the vast troves of information that I wasn't personally privy to, but I can talk about how badly the prosecution treated us from the time we were first introduced to Leah Askey and Richard Hicks at the deposition. To this day Leah Askey has still never spoken to any of us. The only time I've ever heard that woman speak was on a small television interview with Fox2's Chris Hayes. Richard Hicks is who talked to us at the deposition and who cross-examined us at trial--she just sat there and passed him notes. For someone who's never personally spoken to us, she sure does have an awful lot to say about what kind of people we are and what she states happened that night. What a horrible woman. During Richard Hick's questioning of me during the trial, he read me aloud a question about one of the games we play (of course) and then proceeded to answer that question with the answer that I gave to a completely different question! He was trying to make us look bad by intentionally using an answer that made us sound like bad people or something. I immediately corrected him and let him know that the answer he stated I had given was wrong but was instead the answer to the 3rd question after the one he'd just asked me. After some paper shuffling he admitted as much. Also, the argument that he got into with me on the Dateline fb feed the night the story aired was completely unprofessional. Still no answer as to why it is now missing, but I will keep digging. I do have some screenshots that one of Russ's supporters took, but it doesn't show my final post where I answered all of his questions and asked him again to simply answer my one question.

The jury was completely flawed. From some of the public statements I've heard one of them make, I'm woefully unimpressed. I hope they are never before a jury that is as lazy as they were.
Free Russ

Postby erasmus44 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:51 pm

Free Russ wrote:This entire case and then trial, from what I see mostly on the outside, was completely bungled.

The fact that the investigators would focus so much time on us and games that we play on Tuesday nights is stupefying. We didn't even play any games that night and still it was an issue....when did we suddenly teleport back to the 80's and start playing Beatles &/or Iron Maiden records backwards again?? There were certainly other things that needed to be looked at--stuff that 'they' say is always important to a murder case. Things like motive and opportunity or even something like evidence. They asked us the same things over and over and even tried their 'non-thruthful' ways to attempt to elicit some kind of a response from us that goes against our truth. Going so far as to have a dozen detectives pick us all up early in the morning at our residences and bringing us all to separate locations and interviewing/interrogating us for hours certainly took them away from looking into some other things that still remain unanswered, very important things.

I don't even know where to start with the prosecution of this case. I'll not go into the vast troves of information that I wasn't personally privy to, but I can talk about how badly the prosecution treated us from the time we were first introduced to Leah Askey and Richard Hicks at the deposition. To this day Leah Askey has still never spoken to any of us. The only time I've ever heard that woman speak was on a small television interview with Fox2's Chris Hayes. Richard Hicks is who talked to us at the deposition and who cross-examined us at trial--she just sat there and passed him notes. For someone who's never personally spoken to us, she sure does have an awful lot to say about what kind of people we are and what she states happened that night. What a horrible woman. During Richard Hick's questioning of me during the trial, he read me aloud a question about one of the games we play (of course) and then proceeded to answer that question with the answer that I gave to a completely different question! He was trying to make us look bad by intentionally using an answer that made us sound like bad people or something. I immediately corrected him and let him know that the answer he stated I had given was wrong but was instead the answer to the 3rd question after the one he'd just asked me. After some paper shuffling he admitted as much. Also, the argument that he got into with me on the Dateline fb feed the night the story aired was completely unprofessional. Still no answer as to why it is now missing, but I will keep digging. I do have some screenshots that one of Russ's supporters took, but it doesn't show my final post where I answered all of his questions and asked him again to simply answer my one question.

The jury was completely flawed. From some of the public statements I've heard one of them make, I'm woefully unimpressed. I hope they are never before a jury that is as lazy as they were.

This is another case of confirmation bias. The investigators made up their minds very early and then tried to fit the facts into their preconceived narrative. It is interesting however that - apparently - they shifted around on the issue of TOD. I am sure they leaned on you very hard to get you to change your story. They got too far down the path with Russ to entertain any alternative theory. Ultimately, they came to believe that the alibi evidence and the strong testimony that he was far away at the time the crime was committed was really further evidence of guilt. It showed a diabolically clever plan and revealed how "dangerous" a person the defendant is. If we had a videotape of Pam Hupp committing the murder, they would consider that to be further evidence of Russ's guilt because it would show the lengths he would go to (having a biological lab produce a clone of Pam and then staging the crime) to cover up his guilt.
erasmus44

Postby hoping for justice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm

lane99 wrote:
Free Russ wrote:...I'm sorry that I wasn't in the courtroom the entire time and mis-spoke...

Perfectly understandable. Happens to everyone.

hoping for justice wrote:...Pam lied about where she was... In fact her phone pinged in or near the Faria home at 7:24 ish...She left a vmail for Betsy because she did not answer. She left a vmail saying she was home in OFallon MO nearly 30 minutes away from the Faria home...

Can you provide evidence that such a voicemail exists? If what you say is true, Russ Faria's appeal document could have contained much stronger arguments on his behalf than it currently does.

A source who was at the trial said she was questioned about the voice mail. Neither the prosecution nor the police questioned the existence. This however, was another piece of evidence the courtroom heard but the jury was asked to leave the courtroom before her testimony.
hoping for justice

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 am

Free Russ wrote:This entire case and then trial, from what I see mostly on the outside, was completely bungled.

You should suggest to Russ that his attorney get in touch with forensic engineer Ron Hendry about doing a crime scene reconstruction if you give him the case files.

He did one for Amanda Knox and is doing or finishes one for Ryan Ferugson.

Professional Opinion From Forensic Engineer Ron Hendry http://www.injusticeinperugia.org/RonHendry10.html

Single Attacker Theory Of The Murder Of Meredith Kercher [Kindle Edition] Ron Hendry (Author) http://www.amazon.com/Single-Attacker-T ... ron+hendry

Watch on youtube.com
MichaelB

Postby erasmus44 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:36 am

I think that using Hendry is a good idea although the Faria case is primarily an alibi case. The main defense is that it is literally impossible for him to have committed the crime because very reliable evidence places him far away at the time the crime was committed.
erasmus44

Next

Return to Russ Faria Case