Russ Faria Case Discussion

Re: Russ Faria

Postby McGirr » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:52 pm

I am working on this case summary. I am working the details about Pam Hupp in slowly. I want to tackle the timeline first. Please feel free to correct me on any details and mistake I make. Thank you.

The Russ Faria case - Troy, Lincoln County, Missouri

Russ Faria arrived home at 9.40pm to find his wife Betsy dead on the living room floor. The caller was in a genuinely distressed state the 911 operator Tammy Vaughan recalled, the caller was sobbing and wailing when 911 received the call. Due to early stages of rigor mortis and the state of the deceased the cause of death was not clear and Russ mistakenly thought for a moment Betsy may have committed suicide.

On the 27th Dec 2011 Betsy Faria was killed in a brutal murder. Betsy lay dead for some time at her home, her body cold and stiff when paramedics arrived after a call to 911 at 9.41pm. The last person to see Betsy alive was Pam Hupp. Pam Hupp claimed she dropped Betsy home at 7.00pm and left after 20 minutes. Pam Hupp changed her statement three times, claiming she never went inside the house, Hupp also spoke to Betsy mother and gave the same story that she never went inside the house. Then later Hupp changed her statement admitting she went as far as the living room and again on the stand Hupp changed her version of events claiming she went as far as the bedroom. Phone records show a series of calls to Betsy Faria from her daughter went unanswered indicating a time of death around 7.21. According to testimony, Betsy failed to pick up important phone calls that she was expecting from her daughter at 7:21, 7:26 and 7:30. .

The police investigation however began with Russ Faria and not Pam Hupp who was slightly disabled with a back injury and this small detail whether true or not left Russ Faria as the main suspect on the fast track to a wrongful conviction.

When Emergency Response arrived they found a grieving Russ Faria and Betsy Faria dead on the living room floor from stab wounds. Emergency response had found a knife lodged in Betsy's neck. Investigators would later determine that Betsy had been stabbed 55 times. Russ is taken to the police station by the deputies for questioning about his wife's murder. Within one day Russ becomes the focus of the investigation while Pam Hupp was quickly becoming a prosecution witness against Russ Faria fuelling the suspicious police and filling 2 pages of the entire 12 page synopsis by the Major crime squad with half truths and allegations that are later contradicted by people that were close to Russ and Betsy. The investigators found a pair of blood stained slippers belonging to Russ Faria in the cupboard at the Faria house, whom ever left them there was involved in the murder. By the end of the day a miscarriage of justice was swinging into action headed by the Major case squad to prosecute Russ Faria for the murder of his wife mainly based on the allegations made by Pam Hupp and a pair of blood stained slippers.

However what was going to be an open and shut case for the major crime squad soon ran into difficulties. Checking the truthfulness of Russ Farias account of his whereabouts and activities that night the police discover Russ Faria has an iron tight alibi. He was in the company of 4 residents from O'Fallon over 25 miles away. Michael Corbin, Angelia Hulion, Brandon Sweeney and Marshall Bach all told detectives they were with Russ Faria from 6-9 pm, the night Betsy was murdered. The frustrated police found Russ Faria alibi was also supported by CCTV which confirmed the timeline of his journey home and computerised receipts from Arby's drive thru also supported his timeline of events.

When a confronted by a mountain sometimes you have to just tunnel through it and that is what happened in this case.....to be continued.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Excellent.
The stupid things Ergon says - THE BEST OF NASEER AHMAD: "Curatolo's testimony is one of the bedrock foundations of my beliefs in this case."
MichaelB

Postby Free Russ » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 pm

Yea, this is good.

I do have a copy of the transcripts and the appeals documents if you are interested in seeing them. I've also been receiving more anonymous correspondence, this time via email detailing some dubious dealings of the PA in this case. While the information that was given to me does not relate to this case, it does build a narrative of wrong-doing by PA Askey. Nothing all that surprising though...she strikes me as being so self-serving that it borders on 'evil'.

Pass me a private message if you'd like to see the transcripts or appeals docs.
Free Russ

Postby McGirr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 pm

Free Russ wrote:Yea, this is good.

I do have a copy of the transcripts and the appeals documents if you are interested in seeing them. I've also been receiving more anonymous correspondence, this time via email detailing some dubious dealings of the PA in this case. While the information that was given to me does not relate to this case, it does build a narrative of wrong-doing by PA Askey. Nothing all that surprising though...she strikes me as being so self-serving that it borders on 'evil'.

Pass me a private message if you'd like to see the transcripts or appeals docs.

Great, I will and thanks Free Russ.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby Sarah » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Judge freezes accounts of O'Fallon, Mo., woman who collected life insurance after friend's murder

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/article_334bd13a-0e96-5a17-97ed-f29547a1f197.html#.U-OIlmZRXH8.

New developments. Any comments?
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Sarah » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Is there a version of a case overview that everyone is happy with enough to get it up? I would like to move forward as a profiled case.
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:20 pm

Here's another article.

Faria murder trial witness prohibited from her own bank accounts.

http://fox2now.com/2014/08/06/faria-mur ... -accounts/

LINCOLN COUNTY, MO (KTVI) – We have an unusual twist in the ongoing saga surrounding the stabbing death of Betsy Faria. A judge has ordered one of the victim`s friends to stay away from her own bank accounts. She`s a friend who benefitted financially from Betsy Faria`s death. Fox Files investigator Chris Hayes has been following the case, along with St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter Robert Patrick. The latest civil court action highlights inconsistencies, suggesting Faria’s friend may be changing her story.

Pam Hupp was the beneficiary of a $150,000 life insurance policy, paid out after the stabbing death of Betsy Faria. A Lincoln County Judge did not allow a jury to hear about Hupp`s financial windfall or the fact that Faria`s life insurance was signed over into Hupp`s name just days before the murder. A jury then convicted Faria`s husband Russ. In the court record, Hupp first claimed she was made beneficiary to help Betsy`s daughters. Now Hupp is changing her story, stating in a newly filed temporary restraining order, that the money belongs to her. Now another judge is stepping in.

A St. Charles County Judge granted a temporary restraining order against Pam Hupp, or anyone acting on her behalf. They`re prohibited from `removing funds` from their bank accounts or selling their O`Fallon, MO home.
The TRO provides a timeline that explains why.

The morning after Betsy Faria was murdered, Major Case Squad investigators interviewed Pam Hupp, who indicated she drove Faria home the night of the murder, December 27, 2011. In a recorded interview, she explained to police why the victim had changed her life insurance policy. Hupp said, ‘and (Betsy) goes, would you be my beneficiary on my life insurance policies and make sure my kids get it when they need it?’ Hupp continues explaining to investigators and telling them her response to Betsy, ‘I said okay.’

Months later, the chief detective working Betsy Faria`s murder, warned Hupp in this videotaped interview, ‘…the insurance policy, huge in this case, obviously. The biggest doubt they`re gonna try and create is that you, a week prior to her murder, wound up being a benefactor of a $150,000 in cash. What you originally told investigators is she wanted you to do this to take care of it to make sure the kids are taken care of, because Russ and the kids would blow through it. However you now have this money and have not turned any of it over to the family. That`s a huge problem.’ You could see Hupp nod throughout.

Faria`s kids, Mariah and Leah Day, are still trying to get that money. They hired lawyers who document Hupp spending thousands, including court record of a $180,000 cash purchase of the Hupp`s current O`Fallon, MO home.

Civil court filings reveal Hupp did set up a trust November 13, 2013, just three days before Russ Faria`s trial for murder. According to the court records, Hupp said she set up the trust ‘…because I felt I was pressured to fill that account with that money from the prosecuting side…’ The court documents then reveal Hupp removed $99,700 from that trust on December 10, 2013, just weeks after a jury convicted Russ Faria of murder. Meanwhile, Hupp told Fox 2 the following week, that the girls` money was still in that trust.

In person, Hupp told us December 13, 2013 ‘As far as the insurance money and stuff like that, that is in a trust and they know it, for the girls.’

The daughters` attorneys appear to be getting a much different story from Hupp. In a deposition last month, they asked her ‘Did (Faria) mention to you that she wanted the money to be used for her daughters?’ Hupp responded, ‘Absolutely not.’ Hupp went on to say, according to the court record, ‘It was my money.’

The daughter`s attorneys, Clayton lawyers David Butsch and Christopher Roberts had no comment about the temporary restraining order they helped obtain. It`s a document that also addresses an additional $50,000 from Betsy Faria`s life insurance. On the stand during the Faria trial, Pam Hupp testified she gave the 50-grand to a friend with cancer. She`s now telling Betsy Faria`s daughters that she did not give the cancer victim that money. She said in a recent deposition that she was only ‘contemplating it.’

A court filing by an attorney for Pam Hupp, accuses the daughters of ‘attempting to sandbag and garner an unfair advantage.’ Hupp`s attorney adds, ‘until they prove the allegations they raise, they should not be permitted to harass and annoy (Hupp) by forcing restrictions on (Hupp`s) assets.’

This report is part of an ongoing joint investigation, between Fox 2 and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
The stupid things Ergon says - THE BEST OF NASEER AHMAD: "Curatolo's testimony is one of the bedrock foundations of my beliefs in this case."
MichaelB

Postby Kaosium » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:38 pm

Sarah wrote:Judge freezes accounts of O'Fallon, Mo., woman who collected life insurance after friend's murder

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/article_334bd13a-0e96-5a17-97ed-f29547a1f197.html#.U-OIlmZRXH8.

New developments. Any comments?

What is the evidence in this case? There's not even much 'evidence!' I recall reading about blood on slippers, something about a trail of blood to a kitchen drawer or something, and a lot of exculpatory evidence. I did read something about marital difficulties and a separation, what did that amount to? I imagine they made a big deal about him not realizing at first she'd been stabbed so many times and thinking it was suicide? I don't recall reading anyone make that allegation but I'm assuming they probably did. What else could they have used?

What's up with this Pam Hupp? Does she want to be arrested for murder? Does she think it impossible because Russ has been convicted? Just reading through her comments posted on that one board and about the 'trust' with the latest developments I cannot help but wonder about her.
"Honi soit qui mal y pense."
Kaosium

Postby Kaosium » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:05 am

lane99 wrote:
Free Russ wrote:...In other news...Pam Hupp herself must've seen that I posted a reply to a story on STLtoday.com and had to immediately attack me...

She did not immediately attack you. You immediately attacked her. She then replied in kind.

In other, other news, not only Pam Hupp, but it seems your hunts are identifying a growing list of witches in the area.

No one 'immediately' attacked anyone, Pam's reply was a week after Michael's comment and the first thing that could reasonably be construed as an 'attack' was this comment by Michael:

"Pam Hupp wtf are you talking about? 'Next time tell the whole story.'? What is that supposed to mean? I doubt you really had a cogent statement to make, you just want to sound smug and act like you know more than everybody else. That's what will be your downfall Pam...your time is coming.

Have you given the kids the money Pam???"

However from what I've read about (and from) her so far that might not be an 'attack' but an accurate assessment of her faculties and a prediction of probable future events! From there it deteriorated and the 'dolt' comment by Pam was the first definite 'attack' in that conversation, though it's not really worth splitting hairs over and is absolutely meaningless as far as I'm concerned.

Lane99 I realize you often back the prosecution and have noticed that it often comes out when innocence posters start looking for alternative perpetrators. Since they too may well be innocent, and if police and prosecutors are correct they may well be drawing unwarranted criticism and likely accusations from those you oppose, in a very real sense that amounts to attempting to defend the innocent as well. Whether you're correct or not is another thing, but even the devil deserves an advocate and it serves the purpose of the board.

However, what do you have on this one? Not nasty insinuations on the basis of nitpicks nor characterizations of meaningless 'attacks' on another board. You've apparently followed this case and know something about it, what is it that suggests to you that Russ is actually guilty, or Pam Hupp definitely uninvolved or if I'm reading between the lines correctly that indicates to you the four alibi witnesses are possibly involved?

Let's hear it.
Kaosium

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:35 am

I do not understand the jury at all in this case. When you have a juror admit that he is not sure but still vote for guilt, somebody failed somewhere.
It is not even a case where the jury though that Russ was guilty but even they had strong doubts.
Did the judge hose his "Reasonable Doubt" instructions?
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:07 am

Sarah wrote:Is there a version of a case overview that everyone is happy with enough to get it up? I would like to move forward as a profiled case.

I'd really like to see this happen, too. Free Russ's first overview was pretty much there, in my opinion.
lonepinealex

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:I do not understand the jury at all in this case. When you have a juror admit that he is not sure but still vote for guilt, somebody failed somewhere.
It is not even a case where the jury though that Russ was guilty but even they had strong doubts.

Most juries do not really apply the reasonable doubt test. The focus on one or two "anchor facts" and become convinced of guilt or innocence. They really have a difficult time processing probabilistic analysis especially when applied to past events. The have a lot of problems recognizing and processing uncertainty because uncertainty implies that they must choose between some risk of acquitting a guilty defendant and some risk of acquitting an innocent one. Think about a wife who suspects her husband of cheating - she will investigate and decide whether he is cheating - she will probably not conclude that she can't tell and that there is a 60% probability that he is cheating. Unfortunately, this inability to process uncertainty also affects many people's investment decisions with disastrous results.
erasmus44

Postby McGirr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:34 am

lonepinealex wrote:
Sarah wrote:Is there a version of a case overview that everyone is happy with enough to get it up? I would like to move forward as a profiled case.

I'd really like to see this happen, too. Free Russ's first overview was pretty much there, in my opinion.

What first overview???

Sarah wrote:
Is there a version of a case overview that everyone is happy with enough to get it up? I would like to move forward as a profiled case.

Yes and No.

Yes;
I can finish off the overall profile view that I have saved on my computer!

No
We are just going through the transcripts now; so a profile such as what Clive Wismayer did for the Nyki Kish case which was what we were trying to do (which is very hard) will take a little longer.That will have to come later if that is okay.

I will finish what i have off just for the overview and then it can be amended.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:36 am

erasmus44 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I do not understand the jury at all in this case. When you have a juror admit that he is not sure but still vote for guilt, somebody failed somewhere.

Most juries do not really apply the reasonable doubt test. The focus on one or two "anchor facts" and become convinced of guilt or innocence. They really have a difficult time processing probabilistic analysis especially when applied to past events. The have a lot of problems recognizing and processing uncertainty because uncertainty implies that they must choose between some risk of acquitting a guilty defendant and some risk of acquitting an innocent one. Think about a wife who suspects her husband of cheating - she will investigate and decide whether he is cheating - she will probably not conclude that she can't tell and that there is a 60% probability that he is cheating. Unfortunately, this inability to process uncertainty also affects many people's investment decisions with disastrous results.

I think one or two anchor facts should be enough in many cases. Russ's anchor fact is an airtight alibi.
Four people and multiple receipts shoudl eb enough.
Desert Fox

Postby McGirr » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:

I think one or two anchor facts should be enough in many cases. Russ's anchor fact is an airtight alibi.
Four people and multiple receipts should be enough.

The wrong person defence ( chambers v Mississippi 1976) and Holmes v. South Carolina. are both instances where reversals of murder convictions have resulted, for example in Holmes the defence attempts to offer proof that a third party committed the crime was frustrated by state evidentiary rules. The exclusion of the third party guilt evidence deprived the defendant of the right to a complete defence; a right that is guaranteed in the due process clause and compulsory process clause of the 14th and 6th amendment respectively.

The better known term ( :roll: ) for this defence is the slang term ''some other dude did it'' or the alternative term 'this other dude did/done it''.

SODDI stands for Some Other Dude Did It.
SODDI defense n. blame placed on an unknown party (in a court of law); Also TODDI defense, blame placed on a known party (in a court of law). Etymological Note: Acronyms of some other dude did it and the other dude did it. (source: Double-Tongued Dictionary)

This is a very complex and complicated area of law and involves the states rules of evidence but these can be challenged in the supreme court as we have seen in Chambers V Mississippi 1976 and Holmes v South Carolina which re affirms that 1976 ruling. Essentially this will be an important aspect of the appeal or even the eventual appeal to the supreme court if it goes that far.

In my opinion the defence was entitled to a complete defence and considering HUPP was a prosecution witness seems preponderant which make the exclusion rule wrong in these circumstances.

This is one area of the law we need help to better understand in it's application to this case and how it may aid in an appeal. It also seems that this strategy would be consistent with the views of at least some of the jurors.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 pm

I think one useful exercise may be to deconstruct the prosecution's theory as presented in closing argument. Apparently, they argue that the crime was not planned prior to the day of the crime but was opportunistic on that day probably being conceived by the defendant early in the evening and then agreed to by the Group of 4 sometime between 6 and about 7:30 when the defendant left the group (and left his cell phone behind) to go back home and commit the crime. He probably committed the crime around 8 and then waited for one of the group to come by the house around 9:30 bringing him his cell phone. He then called 911 after that member of the group left. On the way to the house the member of the group with the cell phone stopped by a fast food restaurant and obtained a receipt - allegedly in an effort to build an alibi for the defendant.
The problems with this are: 1. It involves four people taking an enormous risk of being co-conspirators in a murder case and facing at least life imprisonment. If any one of them changes his or her mind, the rest of them go off to the slammer. No real motive for this bizarre behavior is described. 2. The defendant runs the risk of being seen on his way home, having his car seen in front of his house between 8 and 9:30, having someone come by the house and knock on the door, having someone drop in on the Group of 4 after 7:30 when he is gone, having someone still be at home with his wife when he came home, having his wife be on the phone when he came home and say "Oh Russ just got back early from his game" at around 8, etc. 3. The member of the group taking the cell phone to the house runs the risk of being seen en route or at the house, having a fast food employee testify that he, and not the defendant, ordered food at around 9:05, having someone come by his house while he was en route to or from the defendant's house, etc.
It's late and I am not sure I have thought through all the problems here but it seems like an outlandish plan.
Admittedly, it is hard to conjure up exactly who committed this crime and why, but the alibi seems very, very strong especially when you think through what a false alibi implies under these circumstances.
erasmus44

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:05 am

That his alibi witnesses have not put on trial indicates pretty clearly that the prosecution does not really believe it.
I smell interest in a political career here.
Desert Fox

Postby MichaelB » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:43 am

I'm wondering if Hupp's husband was in on it and the 7.04pm call was to let him know they were back at the house. She claims Bestie just wanted to wish him a Merry Christmas. How long did that call last?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MichaelB

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:52 am

Might be interesting to hire a PI to speak to the friends of both of them to see if anything has been dropped.
This is one of those cases where we are pretty sure we know who the guilty party actually is.
Desert Fox

Re: Russ Faria *Endorsed

Postby Free Russ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 pm

MichaelB:
I think the call went to voicemail. I've got the transcripts but have not read them all as they are very long and I've been busy doing other things to help support Russ.

Russ' webpage is now live.

www.freerussfaria.us

I will have the .com, .org and .net versions of the same name forwarding to this site within the next few days. I'm still working on full functionality, but it is up and working and even has some content.

Desert Fox:
If I had as much money as I do enthusiasm in Russ' cause I would've already done so. I might look into it at least and see how much I'd have to pony up...
Free Russ

Postby MichaelB » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 am

Free Russ wrote:MichaelB:
I think the call went to voicemail. I've got the transcripts but have not read them all as they are very long and I've been busy doing other things to help support Russ.

http://www.freerussfaria.us

I will have the .com, .org and .net versions of the same name forwarding to this site within the next few days. I'm still working on full functionality, but it is up and working and even has some content.

Desert Fox:
If I had as much money as I do enthusiasm in Russ' cause I would've already done so. I might look into it at least and see how much I'd have to pony up...

The site looks good FreeRuss. :::thumbs up:::
MichaelB

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:05 am

Free Russ wrote:Desert Fox:

PI are not that expensive actually and there are some large PI firms that will do some Pro Bono work for those they think are wrongfully convicted.
I am thinking about "joining the darkside" myself and learning forensics with the interest being on the wrongfully convicted.
Desert Fox

Postby Sarah » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:24 am

Free Russ wrote:MichaelB:

http://www.freerussfaria.us

Desert Fox:

Well done Free Russ
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Sarah » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Bruce would like to do a radio show on this case on Sep 9th.

Free Russ, would you like to be on the show? Do you have anyone else who would do it?

What about you Phil?

Sarah
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Sarah wrote:Bruce would like to do a radio show on this case on Sep 9th.

Free Russ, would you like to be on the show? Do you have anyone else who would do it?

What about you Phil?

Sarah

I will likely be traveling on the 9th but I would be happy to do it some other time. Phil
erasmus44

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Sarah wrote:Bruce would like to do a radio show on this case on Sep 9th.

What about you Phil?

Sarah

I should be around until October 22 and I would be happy to participate if the show is going to be rescheduled.
erasmus44

Postby Bruce Fischer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:25 am

The Russ Faria Case: Murder Conspiracy Amongst Friends Or Wrongful Conviction?

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/injustice-anywhere/2014/10/23/the-russ-faria-case-murder-conspiracy-amongst-friends-or-wrongful-conviction

Tune in on Wednesday October 22, at 8 PM CDT. We will be discussing the Russ Faria case with Michael Corbin and Mary Anderson. Michael is one of four friends of Faria that was implicated by the prosecution in this case. Mary is Faria’s cousin and family spokesperson.

We will be taking calls during the second half of the show. Please call (347) 850-1478 with questions and comments about the case.

Russell Faria was convicted in 2013 of murdering his wife Betsy in 2011. Faria was convicted despite the fact he had a rock solid alibi. Four witnesses testified that Faria was with them watching movies at the time of the murder. Gas station security cameras and a fast food receipt also confirm Faria’s whereabouts on the evening of the murder. The prosecution had no answers for the alibi witnesses so they turned on them, shockingly implicating all four in the crime. If these four witnesses attempted to help Faria get away with murder then why have they not been charged with a crime? They would all like to know the answer to that question as well. All four have been outspoken in this case and would like answers about the allegations made against them. At the same time, all four continue to fight for the freedom of Russ Faria.

The judge in the case also suppressed evidence about another possible suspect that just happened to be a beneficiary of the victim’s life insurance policy. Two jurors have now come forward asking for answers, wondering why they were not told about this important evidence.

Was Russ Faria convicted of a crime he had nothing to do with or was this a case of four friends that all conspired to help a fellow friend get away with murder? Tune in to hear the details of this compelling case.
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby McGirr » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:33 am

Bruce Fischer wrote:The Russ Faria Case: Murder Conspiracy Amongst Friends Or Wrongful Conviction?

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/injustice-anywhere/2014/10/23/the-russ-faria-case-murder-conspiracy-amongst-friends-or-wrongful-conviction

Tune in on Wednesday October 22, at 8 PM CDT. We will be discussing the Russ Faria case with Michael Corbin and Mary Anderson. Michael is one of four friends of Faria that was implicated by the prosecution in this case. Mary is Faria’s cousin and family spokesperson.

We will be taking calls during the second half of the show. Please call (347) 850-1478 with questions and comments about the case.

Russell Faria was convicted in 2013 of murdering his wife Betsy in 2011. Faria was convicted despite the fact he had a rock solid alibi. Four witnesses testified that Faria was with them watching movies at the time of the murder. Gas station security cameras and a fast food receipt also confirm Faria’s whereabouts on the evening of the murder. The prosecution had no answers for the alibi witnesses so they turned on them, shockingly implicating all four in the crime. If these four witnesses attempted to help Faria get away with murder then why have they not been charged with a crime? They would all like to know the answer to that question as well. All four have been outspoken in this case and would like answers about the allegations made against them. At the same time, all four continue to fight for the freedom of Russ Faria.

The judge in the case also suppressed evidence about another possible suspect that just happened to be a beneficiary of the victim’s life insurance policy. Two jurors have now come forward asking for answers, wondering why they were not told about this important evidence.

Was Russ Faria convicted of a crime he had nothing to do with or was this a case of four friends that all conspired to help a fellow friend get away with murder? Tune in to hear the details of this compelling case.

Looking forward to the show. Wishing you all the best of luck, if you should want me to say anything I shall be available.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby Bruce Fischer » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 pm

McGirr wrote:
Bruce Fischer wrote:The Russ Faria Case: Murder Conspiracy Amongst Friends Or Wrongful Conviction?

Looking forward to the show. Wishing you all the best of luck, if you should want me to say anything I shall be available.

Please call the show with any comments you would like to add. (347) 850-1478
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:45 am

Michael Corbin's comments are haunting.

He spent that fateful night playing games with his buddies, Russ Faria included. That night he naively assumed that law enforcement and the judicial system of his county existed to get bad guys off the street, so that citizens like him could have evening s like the one he was having.

In the next months he was introduced to pettiness, careerism, conspiracies born from extra-marital affairs, and a think called SODDI; more properly, Missouri's ban on a defence in a criminal trial using the "Some other dude did it," defence.

That is all well and good, but what about those cases where some other dudette actually DID do it?

From Wikipedia, in their article on "Mistaken Identity":

The SODDI Defense ("Some Other Dude Did It" or "Some Other Dude Done It") is often used when there is no question that a crime occurred, such as in murder or assault cases, where the defendant is not asserting self-defense. The SODDI defense in a murder, rape or assault case is often accompanied by a mistaken identity defense and/or an alibi defense. Another common scenario where the SODDI defense is available is where the police find contraband in a car or residence containing multiple people. In this scenario, each person present could assert that one of the other people possessed the contraband.

In Holmes v. South Carolina, 547 U.S. 319, 126 S. Ct. 1727, 1731, 164 L. Ed. 2d 503 (2006), the Supreme Court held that a South Carolina statute that prohibited putting on a SODDI defense when the state's case was "strong" violated the Sixth Amendment right to put on a defense.

Amanda Knox/Raffaele Sollecit, Nyki Kish, Brian Piexotto, Darlie Routie, Kirstin Blaise Lobato.... it's almost as if courts/police everywhere are falling over each other trying to look more stupid than the last.
    “The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:54 pm

If the prosecutor that it was the worst thing every winning the case, maybe she should have never brought it to trila and just told the detectives "you do not have a case"
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Woah. So the Investigator was knocking off the prosecutor? Man alive.
lonepinealex

Postby Bruce Fischer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby Kaosium » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:19 pm

What an interesting development. Everyone ought to read that great article you wrote.
Kaosium

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:47 am

With $150,000 on the line, a murder witness changes her story

http://fox2now.com/2014/11/03/with-1500 ... her-story/
MichaelB

Postby lonepinealex » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:10 am

MichaelB wrote:With $150,000 on the line, a murder witness changes her story

http://fox2now.com/2014/11/03/with-1500 ... her-story/

Unbelievable. How is it that Betsy's family still think Russ did it? Do they still think that?

ETA I noted some months ago that Hupp's mother died in somewhat suspicious circumstances. Probably coincidence though.
lonepinealex

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:42 am

Woman, 77, dies after falling from third-floor balcony of Fenton-area retirement home

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metr ... acc3e.html

In Memory of Shirley Neumann

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignit ... id=5725455

Neumann, Shirley (nee Russell) on October 31, 2013. Beloved wife of the late Victor Joseph Neumann Jr. Loving Mother of Michael (Alexis) Neumann, Sheri (Mark) Wasserman, Pam (Mark) Hupp and Dan (Juliann) Neumann. Grandmother of Sarah, Nina, Emily, Ashley, Erik, Travis, Max, Nicholas, Abby, Janeann, Olivia, and Isabella. Great-Grandmother to three. Dear Sister of Joyce (Ed) Moore and Judy Russell. Sister-in-law of Bernice Losse. Aunt to John, Pat, Tim, Vicky and Jill. Shirley was preceded in death by parents Roy and Bertha Russell. She was a graduate of Florissant Valley Community College and the University of Missouri St. Louis. ...
MichaelB

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:41 am

Jesus, Mary and Joseph save us all.

One of the Faria prosecutors is now in a FaceBook debate with Michael Corbin; once again insinuating that Corbin has something to hide in his alibi for Russ Faria. And this prosecutor is giving alibi witness for Pam Hupp!!!!! On friggin' FaceBook!

It's now official. The Faria wrongful conviction takes the cake. First an extra-marital affair between prosecutor and lead detective, and now this.

What a complete farce.

You can't make up this stuff. No one would believe you.
    “The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Chris_Halkides » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:34 pm

If you were going to pick one link to introduce a new person to this case, which one would it be?
Chris_Halkides

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:11 pm

Chris_Halkides wrote:If you were going to pick one link to introduce a new person to this case, which one would it be?

Chris the dateline episode gives a decent overview of the case.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dateline/54680823
MichaelB

Postby McGirr » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Happy New Year Free Russ
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby eva72 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:54 am

I have recently begun researching this case. I have scoured the internet looking for more information. I have found a couple of things that I still have questions about.

1. Did Russ have an affair? Was he cheating on his wife while she was going to chemo treatments for terminal cancer? I have found some postings online (from the person who I believe may have actually committed the murder) alluding to this fact. They also state that this woman and Russ are still involved to this day and that she is visiting him in prison. Now even if all this is true--it does not make him guilty. But it would give some people reason to think he had motive.

2. Why does Betsy's family believe he is guilty? This is HUGE that her sisters and mother believe Russ is guilty. And that they do not appear to actively accuse Pam Hupp of wrong doing. Why is that? What do they know or what was their experience with Russ to believe that he is guilty? OR...are they just punishing him for cheating on her? Is the truth here that they want him to pay for the affair even if they know he did not murder her?

These are just some of my speculations and questions. I would love to hear from others on this as this is an aspect of the case I cannot find much information on.
eva72

Postby erasmus44 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:16 pm

eva72 wrote:I have recently begun researching this case. I have scoured the internet looking for more information. I have found a couple of things that I still have questions about.

1. Did Russ have an affair? Was he cheating on his wife while she was going to chemo treatments for terminal cancer? I have found some postings online (from the person who I believe may have actually committed the murder) alluding to this fact. They also state that this woman and Russ are still involved to this day and that she is visiting him in prison. Now even if all this is true--it does not make him guilty. But it would give some people reason to think he had motive.

2. Why does Betsy's family believe he is guilty? This is HUGE that her sisters and mother believe Russ is guilty. And that they do not appear to actively accuse Pam Hupp of wrong doing. Why is that? What do they know or what was their experience with Russ to believe that he is guilty? OR...are they just punishing him for cheating on her? Is the truth here that they want him to pay for the affair even if they know he did not murder her?

These are just some of my speculations and questions. I would love to hear from others on this as this is an aspect of the case I cannot find much information on.

1. I haven't heard anything like this but it would not establish guilt even if true.
2. It is likely that her family met extensively with the police and prosecutor (like the Kerchers did in Italy) and were fed the theory of the crime which the authorities adopted. It is the natural thing to do. If I had a relative who was murdered, I would be talking to the police and prosecutor and would tend to take their conclusions at face value.
3. This case is a strong wrongful conviction case for one major reason - the alibi evidence. If there were no alibi evidence, there would still be some tricky issues but the murder would look like an "intimate" (spousal) homicide and would be virtually indistinguishable from the many, many cases in which a husband calls the police from his home and says "someone just stabbed my wife." The alibi evidence is extremely strong which makes this one of the cases in which I am most certain that there was a wrongful conviction. But - as in many, many marriages - it is possible to develop theories of motive and the crime does appear to be a "crime of passion" which tends to characterize spousal murders. The main problem with the prosecution's case is that it requires belief in a theory of physics which would permit Russell Faria to be in two places at the same time. Even "string theory" and quantum physics do not really provide us with a platform to establish this possibility.
erasmus44

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:06 am

lonepinealex

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:58 pm

lonepinealex wrote:Elizabeth Hupp...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fam ... ld-n301281

Any relation??

Clearly a case in which the defense should focus on the "not guilty by reason of insanity/diminished capacity/incompetent to stand trial" cluster of defenses.
erasmus44

Postby Bruce Fischer » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:18 pm

Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby roteoctober » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:28 am

There comes some good news from time to time ... ::razz::
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby lonepinealex » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:35 am

Excellent, excellent news! Well done Free Russ.
lonepinealex

Postby Grayhawker » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:27 pm

Only to be topped when Hupp goes to jail and the girls receive all of the $150,000
Paolo Micheli stated with regard to Amanda and Raffaele: "We do not need evidence, common sense and logic tell us that they dated each other to commit this crime."
Grayhawker

Postby Desert Fox » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Grayhawker wrote:Only to be topped when Hupp goes to jail and the girls receive all of the $150,000

They will never get their mother's money and I give good odds that the prosecution will never admit their mistake to try Hupp
Desert Fox

Postby erasmus44 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Grayhawker wrote:Only to be topped when Hupp goes to jail and the girls receive all of the $150,000

They will never get their mother's money and I give good odds that the prosecution will never admit their mistake to try Hupp

But there could be a very interesting civil action by the girls against Hupp for the money complete with depositions etc. This could, of course, put Hupp in the position of having to answer a lot of difficult questions and it is possible she might fork over the money rather than go through a civil trial. The prosecutors would have no control over the civil action (it would be between two private parties).
erasmus44

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:18 pm

erasmus44 wrote:But there could be a very interesting civil action by the girls against Hupp for the money complete with depositions etc. This could, of course, put Hupp in the position of having to answer a lot of difficult questions and it is possible she might fork over the money rather than go through a civil trial. The prosecutors would have no control over the civil action (it would be between two private parties).

You misunderstand, I suspect that she spent / squandered much of it already.
Might be able to get something back by selling whatever she spent if on but likely get ten cents on the dollar
Desert Fox

Postby erasmus44 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:But there could be a very interesting civil action by the girls against Hupp for the money complete with depositions etc. This could, of course, put Hupp in the position of having to answer a lot of difficult questions and it is possible she might fork over the money rather than go through a civil trial. The prosecutors would have no control over the civil action (it would be between two private parties).

You misunderstand, I suspect that she spent / squandered much of it already.
Might be able to get something back by selling whatever she spent if on but likely get ten cents on the dollar

The fact that she spent it does not provide a defense to a legal action any more than a bank robber can refuse to return the stolen funds on the theory that he has spent the money. She would still have civil liability and her other assets could be reached to satisfy it. Of course, if she spent it on cars, houses etc. - those assets could be reached. So - unless she is so destitute as to be judgment proof, a civil action would be worthwhile.
erasmus44

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 pm

erasmus44 wrote:The fact that she spent it does not provide a defense to a legal action any more than a bank robber can refuse to return the stolen funds on the theory that he has spent the money. She would still have civil liability and her other assets could be reached to satisfy it. Of course, if she spent it on cars, houses etc. - those assets could be reached. So - unless she is so destitute as to be judgment proof, a civil action would be worthwhile.

Not arguing that they should not sue her just that they will never really get satisfaction.
Desert Fox

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:57 am

Appears to be some actual movement finally
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... a246c.html

New judge assigned to hear motion for new trial in Lincoln County murder case

The Missouri Supreme Court on Wednesday assigned a new judge to preside over the motion for a new murder trial of a Lincoln County man convicted of killing his wife.

Rachel L. Bringer-Shepard, circuit judge in Marion County in the Hannibal area, was assigned to the case.

Circuit Court Judge Chris Kunza Mennemeyer had filed a motion Monday that said after reviewing Russell Faria's request for a new trial, she has "a known conflict and must recuse" and requested a transfer to another judge.

Mennemeyer has declined to comment on the nature of the conflict, which is unclear.

Last month, an appeals court ruled that newly discovered evidence could produce a different verdict in a retrial. Defense lawyer Joel Schwartz filed a motion for a new trial last week.

The Missouri Court of Appeals in St. Louis sent the case back to the trial judge for the hearing on the retrial motion.

Faria, 45, is serving a sentence of life without parole. He was convicted of stabbing his terminally ill wife, Betsy Faria, 55 times with a serrated knife on Dec. 27, 2011.

Questions about his conviction were the subject of a joint Post-Dispatch-KTVI Fox 2 investigation last year.

Faria, his lawyers and his alibi witnesses have long argued that he was miles away when his wife died — and that somebody else killed her.

Maybe this new judge will just dismiss all charges
Desert Fox

Postby Jazz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Good news, that. I've just recently become aware of this case, have read quite a lot about it, have watched the various specials (Dateline and the Fox2/StL Dispatch one) and I am astounded. I would certainly like to help if I can.
Any word on when the motion for retrial will be heard?
Is anyone here in touch with Free Russ off the board? I would very much like to read the trial transcripts.
Jazz

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:55 am

Jazz wrote:Good news, that. I've just recently become aware of this case, have read quite a lot about it, have watched the various specials (Dateline and the Fox2/StL Dispatch one) and I am astounded. I would certainly like to help if I can.
Any word on when the motion for retrial will be heard?
Is anyone here in touch with Free Russ off the board? I would very much like to read the trial transcripts.

We have the transcripts. I'll upload them asap.
MichaelB

Postby Jazz » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:30 pm

MichaelB wrote:We have the transcripts. I'll upload them asap.

Excellent, and many thanks! I look forward to it.
Jazz

Re: Russ Faria Case Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Russ Faria's cousin Mary Anderson created a new website for the case: http://russfaria.com/
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:41 pm

Jazz wrote:
MichaelB wrote:We have the transcripts. I'll upload them asap.

Excellent, and many thanks! I look forward to it.

Trial Transcripts & Documents Thread

http://www.injusticeanywhereforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=3190
MichaelB

Postby Jazz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 pm

MichaelB wrote:Trial Transcripts & Documents Thread

http://www.injusticeanywhereforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=207&t=3190

Yes, thanks again! :) I've read the entire transcript now and have commented in that thread.

I also wanted to comment on the video in which a couple of jurors have come out and said that they felt that there was way too much evidence withheld from them, etc., which is probably more appropriate in this thread.

I suppose it's nice that they've done that, but that video does not give me much confidence in juries. These two have now said that the jury came up with a completely ludicrous 'scenario' of their own (despite there being no credible evidence whatsoever that Russ Faria committed any crime). They came up with a 'theory' that maybe he drove around on his errands, and then took his phone and left it in a mailbox somewhere, then went home and killed his wife, then went and retrieved his phone and came back home again to 'fake' the discovery of Betsy's body and call the police.

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of any such scenario happening. Presumably, they came up with their own alternate theory because they didn't believe that the other 4 'game night' witnesses were involved and they were not prepared to accept the prosecutor's made-up-on-the-spot conspiracy theory. However, the juror-concocted alternate theory would still mean - by necessity - that the other 4 'game night' witnesses were lying and conspiring with Russ Faria, because the time line remains the same, and Russ was clearly at Michael's house with the others at the time that Betsy's murder had to have occurred. So, it makes absolutely no sense for the jury to theoretically remove the 4 "co-conspirators" to come up with their alternate 'theory' when their alternate 'theory' doesn't actually remove them at all. Yet the jury was willing to send a man to jail for life on the basis of a cockamamie 'theory' that they simply made up themselves. That does not instill confidence in the jury system. I've said it for a long time and I will say it again, jurors are - for the most part - cabbages.
Jazz

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:34 pm

I have an idea on this case, can the family of Betsy Faria sue Pam Hupp in civil court for wrongful death? Lower level of evidence and if found guilty, would help Russ immensely.
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:01 am

Desert Fox wrote:I have an idea on this case, can the family of Betsy Faria sue Pam Hupp in civil court for wrongful death? Lower level of evidence and if found guilty, would help Russ immensely.

Doesn't Betsy's family think Russ is guilty? Or is that just the sister (and daughters?). Maybe they've changed their minds by now, but in the 48 hours doc (I think it was that one) they insisted that no amount of evidence would convince them Russ was innocent.
lonepinealex

Postby erasmus44 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:41 am

Desert Fox wrote:I have an idea on this case, can the family of Betsy Faria sue Pam Hupp in civil court for wrongful death? Lower level of evidence and if found guilty, would help Russ immensely.

If Russ is acquitted, he - as spouse - could commence a wrongful death action against Hupp or anyone else allegedly involved but he would have to prove by a reasonable preponderance of evidence that they were responsible.
erasmus44

Postby Desert Fox » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:06 pm

erasmus44 wrote:

If Russ is acquitted, he - as spouse - could commence a wrongful death action against Hupp or anyone else allegedly involved but he would have to prove by a reasonable preponderance of evidence that they were responsible.

While I don't think that reasonable doubt can be overcome with a case against her but I think it easily passed a reasonable preponderance of evidence.
There is almost a good circumstantial case against her if you examine everything.

Kind of hoping that once he is out of prison, he can reconcile with his daughters. I do not care about the money but my understanding is that he raised them.
Desert Fox

Postby Bruce Fischer » Mon May 18, 2015 12:29 am

Judge to determine whether Russ Faria should be granted a new trial

http://groundreport.com/judge-to-determine-whether-russ-faria-should-be-granted-a-new-trial/
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby Desert Fox » Mon May 18, 2015 1:10 pm

Is it the same judge . . . .May get a Judge Burnett situation if it is?
Desert Fox

Postby McGirr » Wed May 20, 2015 5:39 am

Bruce Fischer wrote:Judge to determine whether Russ Faria should be granted a new trial

http://groundreport.com/judge-to-determine-whether-russ-faria-should-be-granted-a-new-trial/

:) Russ Faria deserves a new trial. Delighted that this is coming to such a good conclusion. They have no evidence to prosecute him.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby lonepinealex » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Well, here's hoping for a good result tomorrow. The public momentum seems to be behind Russ anyway.
lonepinealex

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:08 pm

Message from Russ friend

"Come and lend your support for my friend Russell Faria!!

Friday, June 5 2015 at 10am in the Lincoln County courthouse Russell Faria's long-awaited hearing for a possible retrial will begin. Unlike a 'normal' hearing, PA Askey has decided to subpoena everyone involved with finding, handling and spreading word of the infamous 'Lang-Askey email' that has come to light since the end of the original trial. My only role in bringing this email correspondence to light was to accept and then open an anonymous letter sent to me at my place of work and then helping to spread the information contained within once given the 'OK' by the lawyer. I was subpoenaed as well.

There will be a laundry list of people subpoenaed to testify about this document and I will at least be in good company. The truth of this matter will come out. Lincoln County cannot continue to obscure the truth now with the entire nation watching and with a fair and impartial judge running the show.

All of this, of course, completely disregards the biggest problem with the State's case--the fact that their star witness not only received the life insurance payout, but that she's changed her story at every turn and has even said in her newest deposition that 'Detective Carrick' (Det. Ryan McCarrick) told her what to do with the money (to of course make her appear less guilty). The jury knew nothing about any of this, nor that the star witness was the last person to see Betsy alive and that cell phone evidence puts her in the house at or around the time of the murder (when she had originally said she was 30 miles away). It's time for a 'RESET'.

Most of you know this story all too well, but for those of you that don't, go look on Youtube for 'The House on Sumac Drive'. When that gets you hooked then go to fox2now.com and search for 'Faria' to see the exhaustive reporting done on this by St. Louis' Chris Hayes on Fox2. Without Chris Hayes, we would not be where we are at today and the same can obviously be said about Dateline NBC as well.

This battle has been a part of many people's lives for years to some. It's time to bring Russ back home to the arms of those who love him and end his hell on earth.

Be there if you can. Russ needs your support too!"
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:09 pm

lonepinealex wrote:Well, here's hoping for a good result tomorrow. The public momentum seems to be behind Russ anyway.

This has been an outrageous case. I think the momentum is in Russ's favor. His alibi was very strong and to call all his friends liars without proof was incredulous.

Here's to Russ!! and all his friends!
Tomorrow is a big day! <Cheers> ::Cheers::
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby lonepinealex » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Wow, Askey doesn't give up without a fight!

I think it's brilliant how much Chris Hayes and Fox 2 have been involved - nice to see the media doing something positive and going beyond tabloid superficiality.
lonepinealex

Postby Sarah » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:52 pm

lonepinealex wrote:Wow, Askey doesn't give up without a fight!

I think it's brilliant how much Chris Hayes and Fox 2 have been involved - nice to see the media doing something positive and going beyond tabloid superficiality.

They have been great. Was something new posted today? Link?
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Bruce Fischer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Hoping for the best tomorrow.
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby lonepinealex » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Sarah wrote:
lonepinealex wrote:Wow, Askey doesn't give up without a fight!

They have been great. Was something new posted today? Link?

Not that I've seen - I was responding to Free Russ's letter.
lonepinealex

Postby Bruce Fischer » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby Hans » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:24 pm

He [Raffaele] is collateral damage in the unreasonable, irresponsible, and unrelenting scapegoating of the prosecution’s grotesque caricature that is “Foxy Knoxy”
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Fantastic!
lonepinealex

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:57 pm

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:03 pm

I strongly suspect that the prosecution will drop charges before the trial, most likely just before the trial date.
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I strongly suspect that the prosecution will drop charges before the trial, most likely just before the trial date.

Yeah? That would be brilliant for Russ, not having to go through it all again. Would that make him officially exonerated? As I understand it he's been "reset" back to innocent until proven guilty - have I got that right?
lonepinealex

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:16 pm

lonepinealex wrote:Yeah? That would be brilliant for Russ, not having to go through it all again. Would that make him officially exonerated? As I understand it he's been "reset" back to innocent until proven guilty - have I got that right?

That is the way it works. . . .There was a case in Alaska where the guy died after being given a retrial. He is official considered innocent.
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:20 pm

I hope Betsy's family come round to the idea that he's innocent. It will be important for them all.

I wonder what will happen to Pam now? I can't shake the idea that she's going to do something dramatic.
lonepinealex

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:34 pm

lonepinealex wrote:I hope Betsy's family come round to the idea that he's innocent. It will be important for them all.

I wonder what will happen to Pam now? I can't shake the idea that she's going to do something dramatic.

I think it would be almost impossible to prosecute her due to being able to use Russ as a convenient target.
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 pm

how do you mean, a convenient target?
lonepinealex

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:17 pm

lonepinealex wrote:how do you mean, a convenient target?

If they try to prosecute her, her defense would then blame it on Russ. . . . After all, he was convicted once.
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:25 pm

oh I see. Well she's certainly brazen enough. I take it Missouri is not one of those states where you're not allowed to accuse someone else as part of your defence?
lonepinealex

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 pm

lonepinealex wrote:oh I see. Well she's certainly brazen enough. I take it Missouri is not one of those states where you're not allowed to accuse someone else as part of your defence?

I think you can but it is complicated
http://rantsofapublicdefender.blogspot. ... faria.html
Desert Fox

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Great news. :clap:

I don't think it'll go to trial because they know Pam Hupp will implode.
MichaelB

Postby Sarah » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:11 am

MichaelB wrote:Great news. :clap:

I don't think it'll go to trial because they know Palm Hupp will implode.

Fantastic news!
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby McGirr » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:00 am

:clap: Congratulation Free Russ,

This man is a hero for what he did for his friend. Respect bro. This would have been so difficult without your determination.
fuhgeddaboudit
McGirr

Postby Bruce Fischer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:12 pm

A new trial in this case will be very dangerous for the State. It will expose the fact that their star witness against Russ should have been their primary suspect.
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby Desert Fox » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Does anybody know if Russ would take a plea deal? I actually kind of hope not because I want this case to implode.
Desert Fox

Postby Bruce Fischer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Does anybody know if Russ would take a plea deal? I actually kind of hope not because I want this case to implode.

I see now way that he would take a deal but that would be his decision if offered. It is tough to judge anyone that is innocent facing life in prison for taking a deal, but I would be shocked if it happened here.

This case is a joke. I cannot see a jury convicting Russ if everything is on the table at a new trial.
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Postby MichaelB » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:28 pm

Bruce Fischer wrote:A new trial in this case will be very dangerous for the State. It will expose the fact that their star witness against Russ should have been their primary suspect.

That's a good way of putting it.
MichaelB

Postby lonepinealex » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:09 am

Is there any support we can give at this point? I feel like I haven't been able to contribute much, although I'd like to if I can. Is it just a matter of waiting now?
lonepinealex

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:38 am

Is he at least going to be able to get out on bail?
Desert Fox

Postby lonepinealex » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:50 am

I read that the bail was set at half a mil. So I guess not?
lonepinealex

Postby Desert Fox » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:29 pm

lonepinealex wrote:I read that the bail was set at half a mil. So I guess not?

He might have a supporter that is willing to give him 50 K to pay the bondsman.
To be honest, I don't consider him a flight risk.

Hopefully he can win and stick the state for several million dollars.
Desert Fox

PreviousNext

Return to Russ Faria Case