The Study Abroad Murder by Will Savive

The Study Abroad Murder by Will Savive

Postby gompertz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:52 pm

The Study Abroad Murder appeared in March 2011. It has been highly praised by guilters, so why do I mention it? Why did I pay money for it? Because I feel it is a very dangerous book. I have not yet read it, but, as I always do with a new book, I skimmed through it and I can confirm that it is very pro-guilt. However the author has been careful not to produce a gossipy puff piece like Angel Face. He has avoided the vapid guesswork of the Massei report. Drawing on his background as an investigative journalist, with a BS in Criminal Justice, he has presented what LOOKS LIKE a solid, fact-based account of the case, focusing on the trial itself. The guilters will use this as their bible. Those who have studied the facts, read Steve Moore, etc. will see through the facade. Yet many who are undecided could be swayed by the book's clear and forceful approach.
"It reads like a novel" said one favorable review, and that is part of the deception. Beginning with the birth of Amanda, Savive is soon reporting on the divorce (Aah, yes, a broken home...I can see how that could lead to murder....) and presenting us with a picture of a drug-addled, sex-obsessed party girl that is ripped right out of the pages of Nadeau's most "creative" passages. Yet the style is that of an objective reporter, just stating the facts. By page five he tells us about the wild party, with the rock-throwing, the orgies of sex and drunkenness that got Amanda in trouble with the cops. No explanation, as usual, as to why only Amanda was ticketed, and no action taken against the rock throwers. But whatever. Amanda was unconcerned, and only thought of her getaway to Europe (such a selfish girl!).
This, from what I have read, is the procedure. A clever propagandist , Savive holds the reader's attention with the fast-paced narrative style that makes us forget the difference between fact and fiction. To those who are not completely familiar with the facts, this book is poison. Toward the end, forensic evidence is attended to, but we are not given detailed descriptions of DNA analysis in the manner of Mark Waterbury. Rather, what we have is the appearance of scientific precision, which is the characteristic of pseudoscience, and very persuasive to the unwary. Besides, by this time, the reader will have such a negative impression of Amanda, that he will be ready to accept any tidbit of "science" as further proof of guilt. That is why I think this book, evil as it is, is important and deserves our attention. IMHO Savive is the serpent in the garden that deceives by taking the form of an honest seeker of truth.
I wonder if anyone else here has read this book, or thought about reading it.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell
gompertz

Re: The Study Abroad Murder by Will Savive

Postby Dougm » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Although I loath the PMF tactic of attacking the messenger, I have not considered reading this book, nor do I think it deserves attention. The author is someone who is trying to create a career out of self-publishing books about famous crimes, including the Amityville murders, Jonestown, and now Amanda Knox. I have read a couple of his blog postings and a couple of passages from the book that someone posted somewhere, and they are both factually inaccurate, and full if misspellings and gramatical errors. Savive tries to give the impression that he is an expert criminologist, but has no experience in that area -- he touts his degree -- "a B.S. in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Forensic Science from American InterContinental University (AIU)", as his credentials to be an expert on these crimes he writes about.

Only one problem -- anyone know anything about InterContinental University? Here is a link to the wikipedia entry on the school: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_InterContinental_University

It is a "for profit" university (in contrast to most universities, which are run as non-profit educational institutions). Here are some choice comments from the wikipedia listing:

* American InterContinental University (AIU) was founded in 1970 in Lucerne, Switzerland[1] by American couple Jack and Helen Barnette of Atlanta, and was first known as the American Fashion College of Switzerland.
* More than 80 percent of AIU students attend AIU Online, an internet-based online campus that delivers degree programs 100 percent online. (think, University of Phoenix, but less prestigious)
* The online campus is considered the main campus for AIU. (nothing wrong with learning online, but forensics?)
* "AIU's parent company CEC has been investigated by the U.S. Departments of Justice and Education and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Allegations specific to AIU include reports that the Los Angeles campus misrepresented its programs and classes, made a practice of admitting students who had not graduated from high school, and included in its enrollment numbers students who had never attended class."
* One of the most outspoken critics of AIU and CEC has been AIU's founder Steve Bostic, who alleged in 2005 that "CECO's Board has allowed management to lose sight of the Company's primary mission of providing quality education services; under these directors, CECO management has sacrificed the quality of student programs, resulting in the severe escalation of student attrition - all for the sake of a 'top-line growth strategy' that cannot be sustained." (in other words, instead of offering a quality education, they were concentrating on bringing in students, whoever would pay)
* AIU's critics have scrutinized the university's student recruiting practices. One anonymous professor told The Chronicle of Higher Education: "If you can breathe and walk, you can get into the school."[21] In July 2008, former employees filed a lawsuit alleging that the school's admissions practices defrauded federal grant and loan programs.

Ahem. I don't see why anyone would give credence to this guy -- he is another person who is trying to latch on to this case to create notority for himself, a la Daric Richie. (if anyone does not know who that is, don't ask, because neither he nor Savive has any reason to be known).
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby RoseMontague » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:42 am

I have read excerpts and the factual errors are numerous and on the side of guilt. Like the statement analysis dude Will was picked up by TJMK and now he is stuck defending an untenable position. I have pointed out several of his errors on his blog and he immediately deleted them (however he did edit his post to remove an error or two-LOL).

Will made the mistake when researching his book of believing the news stories. This case is rife with false news stories and stuff that was just made up. He wants to be a true crime writer and he does have some talent for telling a story but is lacking in the ability to determine what is true and what is fiction.
RoseMontague

Postby Dougm » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:05 am

Yes. What I was trying to point out is that, in this era of the internet, blogs and self publishing, anyone can claim to be an expert on crime. The key issue is the content of what is written, and his account is filled with factual errors.

It is interesting to me how the PMF faction attacks Steve Moore as having questionable credentials, but accepts Savive as an expert of some kind. It is evident that the only credentials they are interested in are the guilt/innocence position of the writer.
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby gompertz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:37 am

Dougm wrote:Although I loath the PMF tactic of attacking the messenger, I have not considered reading this book, nor do I think it deserves attention. The author is someone who is trying to create a career out of self-publishing books about famous crimes, including the Amityville murders, Jonestown, and now Amanda Knox. I have read a couple of his blog postings and a couple of passages from the book that someone posted somewhere, and they are both factually inaccurate, and full if misspellings and gramatical errors. Savive tries to give the impression that he is an expert criminologist, but has no experience in that area -- he touts his degree -- "a B.S. in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Forensic Science from American InterContinental University (AIU)", as his credentials to be an expert on these crimes he writes about.

Only one problem -- anyone know anything about InterContinental University? Here is a link to the wikipedia entry on the school: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_InterContinental_University

It is a "for profit" university (in contrast to most universities, which are run as non-profit educational institutions). Here are some choice comments from the wikipedia listing:

* American InterContinental University (AIU) was founded in 1970 in Lucerne, Switzerland[1] by American couple Jack and Helen Barnette of Atlanta, and was first known as the American Fashion College of Switzerland.
* More than 80 percent of AIU students attend AIU Online, an internet-based online campus that delivers degree programs 100 percent online. (think, University of Phoenix, but less prestigious)
* The online campus is considered the main campus for AIU. (nothing wrong with learning online, but forensics?)
* "AIU's parent company CEC has been investigated by the U.S. Departments of Justice and Education and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Allegations specific to AIU include reports that the Los Angeles campus misrepresented its programs and classes, made a practice of admitting students who had not graduated from high school, and included in its enrollment numbers students who had never attended class."
* One of the most outspoken critics of AIU and CEC has been AIU's founder Steve Bostic, who alleged in 2005 that "CECO's Board has allowed management to lose sight of the Company's primary mission of providing quality education services; under these directors, CECO management has sacrificed the quality of student programs, resulting in the severe escalation of student attrition - all for the sake of a 'top-line growth strategy' that cannot be sustained." (in other words, instead of offering a quality education, they were concentrating on bringing in students, whoever would pay)
* AIU's critics have scrutinized the university's student recruiting practices. One anonymous professor told The Chronicle of Higher Education: "If you can breathe and walk, you can get into the school."[21] In July 2008, former employees filed a lawsuit alleging that the school's admissions practices defrauded federal grant and loan programs.

Ahem. I don't see why anyone would give credence to this guy -- he is another person who is trying to latch on to this case to create notority for himself, a la Daric Richie. (if anyone does not know who that is, don't ask, because neither he nor Savive has any reason to be known).

Thanks for the info on AIU. The fact that the guilters have anointed Savive as their champion (mascot?) only shows how weak their case is, as I now realize. Still, I will probably publish a review of the book on Amazon one day, as a warning to the unwary. Also I have never given a one-star review before, and if I keep giving only 5 star reviews, it will make me look soft and my reviews will lose their value. :lol: This one is definitely one-star material.
I don't see anything wrong with attacking the messenger if the messenger is holding a poison dagger behind his back.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell
gompertz

Postby gompertz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:03 am

RoseMontague wrote:I have read excerpts and the factual errors are numerous and on the side of guilt. Like the statement analysis dude Will was picked up by TJMK and now he is stuck defending an untenable position. I have pointed out several of his errors on his blog and he immediately deleted them (however he did edit his post to remove an error or two-LOL).

Will made the mistake when researching his book of believing the news stories. This case is rife with false news stories and stuff that was just made up. He wants to be a true crime writer and he does have some talent for telling a story but is lacking in the ability to determine what is true and what is fiction.

Now that I have read a few more pages of Savive's book, I see what you mean about not being able to tell truth from fiction. The trouble is many of his readers will also not be able to tell, because he tells the story well. So one has to keep explaining again and again, and referring people to the Injustice in Perugia site. Always having to go back over the same old ground, refute the same tired old arguments that keep coming up with new variations, and putting up with the same stale insults from guilters, is tiring. At least if they came up with a new insult once in a while it would be amusing.
The statement analysis guy on the Seamus O'Reilly site is another one who will convince the already convinced. The comments section is full of appreciative reactions from people who say the analysis confirmed what they already believed but couldn't prove. Interesting....
gompertz

Return to Book Reviews and Discussion