The Monster of Forence

The Monster of Forence

Postby Bruce Fischer » Thu May 27, 2010 6:02 pm

The Monster of Florence
by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi
Discussion and Reviews
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

REVIEWS / LINKS - FOR PLACES TO POST YOUR REVIEWS

Postby Sarah » Sun May 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Florence- ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barnes and Noble

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Mo ... eview#TABS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borders

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... 0446581275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah
Site Admin

Re: Book Review and General Discussion

Postby ajackson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 pm

I read this book early on. It details a very broken system. Not that the system couldn't work, but rather that in the hands of disreputable people it has a far greater potential for abuse than other systems I am familiar with. Like much of what we do in the law, it isn't what the system does, but what it isn't permitted not to do. For example, writing a contract that can be understood by people really isn't that difficult. However, when I write a contract, my job is to write one that cannot easily be intentionally misunderstood. The same is true of a justice system. It is not enough that it can do justice if properly used by ethical and competent people. It must be designed so that unethical and incompetent people cannot easily manipulate it to do an injustice. The detail about Preston's interactions with Mignini really put the Knox case into context. It really shows Mignini as a bully who "roughs up" anyone who stands in his way, or more precisely stands in the way of his loopy satanic theories.
ajackson

Postby McJustice » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:27 am

Built-in means of evasion, either intentional or accidental are very dangerous and the lack of effective means to detect and repair them in a timely manner or at all is even more dangerous. Creative people always find ways to subvert any system to suit themselves. It happens everywhere and the only differences are in how easily it can happen and how long they can do it before being detected and whether there are any effective ways of removing them or even meting out meaningful punishment.
McJustice

Postby McJustice » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:29 am

Reading it now... near the end... astonishing just how the case evolved... a lot more to understanding it... need the social and political history of Italy and the way the justice system evolved... to even begin to see WHY it all went wrong and why they have deep inherent problems...
McJustice

Postby ajackson » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:19 pm

McJustice. An excellent comment about the differences between systems and totally correct! As for the social and political history, it is interesting you mention that. Rome is regarded as, along with Greece, one of the first truly Western civilizations. But in many ways, it is not. It many ways it is more Eastern. Consider the Roman Legion and an army being "decimated" for some offense. This was an arbitrary execution of every 10th soldier. This disregard for life is a more Eastern concept. In more Western society, like England and America, there is greater effort to find the "guilty party" and to establish blame. There is greater need to punish the wrongdoer and not enforce order by fear. The English jurist Blackstone's Rule of 10 is the perfect counterpoint to the notion of decimating. Blackstone said "it is better that 10 guilty men should go free, than one innocent man be punished for something he didn't do." Italy reportedly accepted a more Western type of justice system, borrowing from the U.S. and the U.K. after WWII. They imported things such as a more adversarial system, proof of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and so on. BUT THEY HAVE YET TO REALLY INTERNALIZE THESE CONCEPTS. And it is nowhere clearer than in this unfortunate case.
ajackson

Postby McJustice » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:04 am

Yes, technically they pay lip service to "innocent until proven guilty"... and yet functionally they have not changed at all.. the pretense of the suspects not being suspects, interrogation while pretending they are not suspects, the ease of getting pretrial incarceration on the flimsiest of grounds, pre-trial leaks and prejudicial news conferences, use of the same "professional Jurors" over and over whose job is to just "do their duty" and already assume guilt from the start... Italian justice signs up to the EU minimum requirements and then just goes through the motions without the least shred of shame.

and as you say "BUT THEY HAVE YET TO REALLY INTERNALIZE THESE CONCEPTS"... and even more than that, they seem to actively, flagrantly and consciously operate to negate them as much as possible. They seem to take pride and pleasure in hoodwinking those they take money from. The clever Italian fellows fooling the high and mighty Bureaucrats in Brussels... The continual ignoring of EU court rulings against them BY ITALIAN JUDGES as well as supposedly responsible people in the government shows this is not a trivial or occasional error.
McJustice

Postby kkb1216 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:13 pm

I read this book shortly after it came out and was appalled by what passed for "justice" in Perugia. As the details of Meredith's murder were revealed, it was this story that immediately came to mind and made me question the veracity of the reports from the police. I recommend "Monster of Florence" to anyone who reads and ask them to take a fresh look at the Amanda Knox situation after they have finished it.
kkb1216

Postby wald1900 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:58 pm

[quote="kkb1216"]I read this book shortly after it came out and was appalled by what passed for "justice" in Perugia. As the details of Meredith's murder were revealed, it was this story that immediately came to mind and made me question the veracity of the reports from the police. I recommend "Monster of Florence" to anyone who reads and ask them to take a fresh look at the Amanda Knox situation after they have finished it.[/quote]

It was the brief little blurb he put in the last pages (almost as if it was inserted minutes before a print deadline) of the book about Mignini and Amanda Knox that ulitmately got me interested in the case.
wald1900

FACEBOOK PAGE - THE MONSTER OF FLORENCE

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:56 pm

FACEBOOK PAGE - THE MONSTER OF FLORENCE - BOOK AND MOVIE

http://www.facebook.com/update_security ... 3408083970
Sarah
Site Admin

Return to Book Reviews and Discussion