Darkness Descending

Darkness Descending

Postby Bruce Fischer » Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Darkness Descending - The Murder of Meredith Kercher
by Paul Russell, Graham Johnson and Luciano Garofano
Discussion and Reviews
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

REVIEWS / LINKS - FOR PLACES TO POST YOUR REVIEWS

Postby Sarah » Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 pm

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Descendi ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah
Site Admin

Re: Book Review and General Discussion

Postby Pat » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Has anyone read this yet? I loved Murder in Italy and thought Angel Face was junk.

I was thinking of tracking down a copy of this book if it is any good.
Pat

Postby McJustice » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 pm

I thumbed through it in a book store a month or two ago. It was the first to be published. and as such from what I could see and also what I read about it .... mostly a quick to print regurgitation of the more moderate media and most of the prosecution viewpoint. not a lot of original material and in depth exploration and analysis. Worth reading for comparison purposes but not likely to offer anything special. The guilters were somewhat disappointed in it. The attempt at some neutrality in it and the relative lack of demonizing of Amanda and Raffaele bothered them it seems.
McJustice

Postby MikeyT » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:03 pm

I bought this book and let me tell you I am sorry that I did.
Firstly the author is a dear friend and coworker of John Kercher.
So it is of course slaned toward the negative towards Amanda and rafaele.
What doe seem crystal clear in this and Nadeau's pitiful excuse for a book aka a fairy tale.
is that the author wants to please his dear friend and coworker.
He does not stray from the ( Amanda organized the whole crime) theory.
So save your money.
The only book out there worth any money at all about this case is Candece Dempsey's book.
This book is G A R B A G E!!
MikeyT

Postby PhanuelB » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 am

When I read that book I keep saying how the hell would he know that? Here's a typical passage:

"He [Guede] ate his last chunk of chocolate before going back to his room. He pulled the scratchy institutional blankets over his head to block out the German winter. To block out the groans and shouts of dispossessed [sic] down the corridor.[sic] To block out the memories.[sic]"

I have a question that maybe somebody could answer. What would be the exact literary term to describe the book? True crime? Historical fiction? Historical narrative? I'm curious what others would call the book.
PhanuelB

Postby PaulTC » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:54 am

"Firstly the author is a dear friend and coworker of John Kercher."

Mikey, what is source for this comment? I don't doubt you--it sounds believable--but I had not heard this before. Is it common knowledge?
PaulTC

Postby McJustice » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Does the verbiage assembler responsible for this "book" have aspirations to overwrought potboiler author-dom? A book like this is apparently aimed at an audience that would lap it up unquestioningly, not able to tell imaginary filler from verifiable facts. In the end it seems no better than the "true" crime equivalent of 3rd rate romance novels.
McJustice

Postby Giordano Bruno » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:31 pm

[quote="PhanuelB"]When I read that book I keep saying how the hell would he know that? Here's a typical passage:

"He [Guede] ate his last chunk of chocolate before going back to his room. He pulled the scratchy institutional blankets over his head to block out the German winter. To block out the groans and shouts of dispossessed [sic] down the corridor.[sic] To block out the memories.[sic]"

I have a question that maybe somebody could answer. What would be the exact literary term to describe the book? True crime? Historical fiction? Historical narrative? I'm curious what others would call the book.[/quote]
I'm about half way through the book and I have read that excerpt. I agree with you and I would coin a new word, if it has not been coined already, 'docufiction'. We already have historical fiction, but the events are too recent to be given that name, although except for the time of the events, it is just like historical fiction.

Parts of it are probably true, but the parts where it seems to be like a novel are, unfortunately, as far as I can see, slanted against Amanda and Raffaele.

I will continue to read it, though, partly because as a novel it is not too bad, but also to see where the opposition is coming from.

PS There are one or two items in it which are of value, I think. For example, the cops were quite suspicious of Patrick Lumumba having 'deleted' his text to Amanda, 'See you later' (as I recall). They wanted an explanation from him. Why that would be suspicious is a bit beyond me, but what transpired was that Mr Lumumba had not saved a copy of the text in the first place. And it apparently took the cops a long time to realize that their unwarranted assumption of its having been saved was simply false.
For educated opinion of the case, please read 'Injustice in Perugia' by Bruce Fisher and 'The Monster of Perugia' by Mark Waterbury.
Giordano Bruno

Return to Book Reviews and Discussion