Murder in Italy

Murder in Italy

Postby Bruce Fischer » Thu May 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Murder in Italy
by Candace Dempsey
Discussion and Reviews

This is an excellent book that we should all be using as a reference tool.
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin

Re: Book Review and General Discussion

Postby mariquita » Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 am

Attended Candace's book-reading tonight and met a lot of wonderful people. Sarah Snyder for one (thank you for the ride home, Sarah!). :) Then of course Candace, Edda, Madison, Deanna and many other people.

Edda is a truly wonderful person to talk to and is (obviously) the most loving and devoted mother anyone could ask for. She is also truly grateful for the support for her daughter and family. Keep it up, people!

I personally thanked Candace for such a well-written book and I let her know how I appreciated that she DIDN'T include unnecessary details of the personal lives of the people involved in this case for the purpose of making a few bucks. (Which is more than I can say for the tabloids...and certain authors of *other* books on the case.)

So glad I made it out tonight!
mariquita

Postby Michael » Fri May 28, 2010 7:43 am

Wish I could have been there. I wrote a review on Barnes & Noble. It is hard to imagine what Amanda's family and friends are going through, or how they can endure it - although I know they must.

I truly hope I can help!
Michael

Postby Jack » Fri May 28, 2010 9:41 am

Don't forget to click.

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Italy-Shoc ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

24 of 38 people found the following review helpful:
Excellent, May 3, 2010
By Jeremiah Johnson "Jeremiah"
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Murder in Italy: The Shocking Slaying of a British Student, the Accused American Girl, and an International Scandal (Paperback)
Clearly the author spent thousands of hours researching for the information to produce this book. It is accurate and factual. I think it is a bargain for $7.99. You could spend a thousand hours researching on the internet and mostly you would find tabloid trash. They reported rumors and lies. If you want the facts, read the book.

The most disgusting thing I found during my research, is that there appears to be people selling publications that depend on Amanda Knox's guilt to keep their profits high. There are negative comments about Amanda Knox all over the internet that appear to be from the same source, and some are disguised as book reviews. Some people are putting forth a great deal of effort to see to it that Amanda remains in prison. For that reason I think money is their motive, and likely they are involved in selling publications about Amanda's guilt. It is unfortunate we must share this planet with such creatures.
Jack

Postby Shirley Anne » Fri May 28, 2010 12:33 pm

It sounded like a great night. I would love to have been there. I found Candace's book excellent. A very detailed account of the events leading up to and after the murder of Miss Kercher. No unnecessary details were included ie the kind of thing Barbie had written in her book. Ms. Dempsey's book is a credit to her and is a must read. I am in the middle of reading it again - gripping stuff. Well done, Ms. Dempsey!
Shirley Anne

Postby Pat » Fri May 28, 2010 11:08 pm

This is a link to the story about Candace's reading Friday night:

http://www.westseattleherald.com/2010/0 ... s-emotions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got a lot out of this book. It is my basic bible on this case. I highly recommend this book.
Pat

Postby Michael » Sat May 29, 2010 8:26 am

Here is the review I wrote.

As a history teacher, I find Candace Dempsey’s excellent book on this very disturbing case meets all the criteria for being an invaluable source. Although greatly sympathetic towards all the victims involved, Meredith, Amanda, Raffaele, and their friends and families, Dempsey maintains an appropriate level of objectivity. As an Amnesty International club advisor, I find this book to be a powerful warning on the dangers of wrongful imprisonment. As a human being, I find this gripping reading.

In painstaking detail, Dempsey takes us through the events of Nov 1st through Nov 6th, the day of the arrest. Using interviews, documents, and police records, she separates the facts from all the misinformation, explaining how the public was mislead by police, the media, the families, and even the lawyers.

What the reader gets is a murder mystery, a tragedy, and a detailed analysis on how all the parties involved distorted the truth for their own purposes. The book goes on to explain how the events of those five days led to conviction and imprisonment of two young people who may be innocent.

If you have followed this case at all, this book is must reading (regardless of your current views). If it is new, you will be learning about a terrible crime – the death of a lovely young person with her whole life in front of her. In addition, Dempsey gives the reader a powerful expose of how a criminal investigation can be manipulated by all involved, with possibly unjust results.

In either case, this is a moving and compelling account that you will want to read more than once.
Michael

Postby struoc » Sun May 30, 2010 4:59 pm

I read Candace's book and it was well laid out.
The rush to close the case was obvious, and here is where the prosecution moved everyone into the wrong direction.
struoc

REVIEWS / LINKS - FOR PLACES TO POST YOUR REVIEWS

Postby Sarah » Sun May 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Italy-Shoc ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... Descending" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barnes and Noble

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Murder ... italy#TABS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borders

http://www.borders.com/online/store/Tit ... 042523083X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby european neighbour » Mon May 31, 2010 3:49 am

Will an ITALIAN(!) edition/translation soon be available IN ITALY? I would highly recommend it!!
european neighbour

Postby PomMom12 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 pm

I just finished Candace's book and would highly recommend it. I am thoroughly convinced that Amanda is innocent and should be set free at once and not going on trial (again) for slander.
PomMom12

Postby Linds1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:46 am

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and this book opened my eyes to an entire new perspective of the case. This book is a wonderful read, and is the most unbiased book that I have seen or read.
Linds1

Postby PaulTC » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:48 am

If you are going to get just one book on the case, get this one. It is really very good and quite evidently written by a thoroughly decent human being. Candace is especially helpful in explicating fully all of the events in that critical period between when the murder occurred and when Amanda was formally arrested. It is very clear that stories of Amanda's "odd" behavior are exaggerated if not entirely false. But within a day or two the full meaning of what had occurred hit her like a ton of bricks and she was on the point of collapse. I also had not realized before that in modern, "enlightened" Italy it is possible to detain a girl barely out of her teens, abusively interrogate her over a long period, arrest her, bring her up before a judge, and remand her to jail for up to one year pending further investigation and possible charges--all without once allowing her to see a lawyer.
PaulTC

Postby thinker53 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:21 pm

[quote="Michael"]Here is the review I wrote.

As a history teacher, I find Candace Dempsey’s excellent book on this very disturbing case meets all the criteria for being an invaluable source. Although greatly sympathetic towards all the victims involved, Meredith, Amanda, Raffaele, and their friends and families, Dempsey maintains an appropriate level of objectivity. As an Amnesty International club advisor, I find this book to be a powerful warning on the dangers of wrongful imprisonment. As a human being, I find this gripping reading.

In painstaking detail, Dempsey takes us through the events of Nov 1st through Nov 6th, the day of the arrest. Using interviews, documents, and police records, she separates the facts from all the misinformation, explaining how the public was mislead by police, the media, the families, and even the lawyers.

What the reader gets is a murder mystery, a tragedy, and a detailed analysis on how all the parties involved distorted the truth for their own purposes. The book goes on to explain how the events of those five days led to conviction and imprisonment of two young people who may be innocent.

If you have followed this case at all, this book is must reading (regardless of your current views). If it is new, you will be learning about a terrible crime – the death of a lovely young person with her whole life in front of her. In addition, Dempsey gives the reader a powerful expose of how a criminal investigation can be manipulated by all involved, with possibly unjust results.

In either case, this is a moving and compelling account that you will want to read more than once.[/quote]

Michael I agree with you on the book and about unlawful imprisonment. I also belong to A.I. and know how much judicial abuse exists in the world, including in the U.S.
thinker53

Postby patricking » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:39 am

From Jack's review above: "Some people are putting forth a great deal of effort to see to it that Amanda remains in prison. For that reason I think money is their motive, and likely they are involved in selling publications about Amanda's guilt. It is unfortunate we must share this planet with such creatures."

I've had the disturbing experience of interacting with some of these people, one in the flesh, and let me assure you, these people are not smart enough to have a financial motive. Jealousy and hate are their motives, in some cases Italian nationalism. When you ask about the lack of forensic evidence they tell you, "read the trial transcripts." When you ask them where the trial transcripts are posted, they send you this:

http://www.truejustice.org/ee/index.php?/P20/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go to that sight and choose subject: "reporting on the case" and choose "worst reporting," every major American television news team including Fox News is there. These people believe the Knox family has managed to influence the entire American media by paying them to say only good things about their daughter! Then, after you're done with that bullshit, go back and choose "best reporting" (spoiler alert): Jeanine Pirro, Anne Coulter, And Tina Brown! If it wasn't literally tragic it would be funny.

Some of you no doubt know Amanda Knox. I don't know her at all. I even started following this case because I believed she was like Pamela Smart or Karla Homolka, or Susan Atkins. When I read about her background, though, I thought 'If this kid killed someone, we're looking at a major sociological shift.' No one with Amanda's educational skills, pattern of behavior, or family background has ever committed this type of crime. Then I read the evidence. There's no evidence! Even the evidence they offer appears to be manipulated. Raffaele's DNA on the bra clasp but not on the bra itself. How can that happen? Amanda's blood DNA mixed with Meredith's in footprints found with Luminol? They inspected her body the night she was arrested, less than 48 hours after the crime and she didn't have a bruise or cut on her. Where do they claim this blood came from? But apparently in Italy they don't have to explain anything.

In reading Ms. Dempsey's book, I find myself at a level of anger and frustration I've really never felt before. This case is literally of mythic proportion: We have a princess in a dungeon guarded by a dragon and we've got to slay the dragon to free the princess. But we have to slay the dragon metaphorically to free her from the real dungeon she's caught in, Italian bureaucracy. I think Stendhal said only war can end bureaucracy. If that's the case, so be it, I'm ready. I think a war for the life of a princess is a better older motive than one for the life of an oil company.
patricking

Postby PaulTC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 am

The idea that a small group of people and a small PR firm in Seattle could influence the media to any great extent is preposterous.

I am laughing about Pirro. Check out her role in the Deskovic case. Here is a passage from the NY Daily News:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crim ... l-2.htmlon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Wikipedia article on Pirro also contained this info before her pals removed it and sanitized the entry.

Also, among the luminaries Tina Brown lined up to blurb for Barbie's book are Marsha Clark (o caro nome!) and Linda Fairstein the former prosecutor and now mystery writer who became infamous for making sure the original defendants in the Central Park Jogger case were interviewed without a lawyer or guardian present. Their subsequent convictions were later thrown out at the request of Robert Morgenthau, Fairstein's highly respected boss. Even now, Fairstein is embroiled in another civil lawsuit stemming from her alleged misconduct in the Jovanovic case.

Good grief
PaulTC

Postby RayTurner » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 am

I was watching tv when Pirro decided to run against Hilary Clinton for the New York Senate seat. She held a press conference but somehow misplaced her notes and thus had nothing to read off for her announcement. It was really bad. I'm pretty sure her husband was some sort of crook or something. I think her handlers definitely helped with her wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanine_Pirro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Look at the "awards" section. I mean, c'mon! Is it really necessary to list all that?
RayTurner

Postby knox22852 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:46 pm

This is an excellent book... It is VERY upsetting how the police ambushed the two young students the night before Amanda mother was set to arrive and help her daughter. The Judges should be ashamed of the system that is badly biased; used test results from unaccredited labs, (who would trust unaccredited brain surgery?) and leaks information that are very false to falsely imprison the two students. Very Disturbing …. The system needs to be re-engineered to produce reliable results that can to validated by independent sources not your boss… like ISO…International Organization for Standardization
knox22852

Postby PaulTC » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:56 am

I just reread this book on vacation and it's better this time around. Candace is very subtle--something I didn't fully appreciate when I just read it quickly for the narrative flow. A good subtitle could be: "All the Details You Should Know and Probably Haven't Heard."
PaulTC

Candace Dempsey Live on Radio and TV

Postby Michael » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 pm

You can watch and listen to Candace live on radio and TV talking about the book and case at the link below.

[url]http://www.booktour.com/author/candace_dempsey[/url]
Michael

Postby ScifiTom » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:51 am

To Everyone

Hey everyone I am very new in here, and I have got this book last April 2010, and it is a great book, and it is a must see book to read, and I really receremened(sp) to everyone, that you too will like the book and talk to you soon everyone!!!
TMJ

Anne Hathaway number 1 fan

Free the Innocence 2

Free: Kirstin Lobato Las Vegas NV & Dusty Turner Norfolk VA
ScifiTom

Postby Ligy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 pm

[quote="patricking"],

We have a princess in a dungeon guarded by a dragon and we've got to slay the dragon to free the princess. But we have to slay the dragon metaphorically to free her from the real dungeon she's caught in,

I think a war for the life of a princess is a better older motive than one for the life of an oil company.[/quote]

that's an original way of putting it, nice thought.
Ligy

New interview with Candace Dempsey in Seattlest

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:23 am

Candace talks about how her interest, and her book, developed.

[url]http://seattlest.com/2010/09/07/an_interview_with_candace_dempsey_a.php[/url]

She talks about the interview in her Italian Women blog.

[url]http://blog.seattlepi.com/dempsey/archives/220591.asp[/url]
Michael

Postby Giordano Bruno » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:37 pm

Candace's book has won the True Crime Book Reviews award.

http://truecrimebookreviews.com/2011/01 ... s-winners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Congratulations, Candace! :D
For educated opinion of the case, please read 'Injustice in Perugia' by Bruce Fisher and 'The Monster of Perugia' by Mark Waterbury.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Jazz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm late to this thread but just wanted to add a comment because I, too, think that Ms. Dempsey's book is very well done. I only read it in November or December but I thought it was fairly well balanced and did a good job of presenting the evidence. Sure, there were some minor errors (most books on true crimes contain at least a few, since they are often written before the totality of the evidence is in or has been fully analyzed) but they were relatively minor and few.

Oh, and I voted for it in the competition as well. Congratulations to Ms. Dempsey on the win.
Jazz

FACEBOOK PAGE - MURDER IN ITALY

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:59 pm

FACEBOOK PAGE - MURDER IN ITALY

Murder In Italy, the Amanda Knox story by Candace DempseyAuthor

http://www.facebook.com/update_security ... 3736052809
Sarah
Site Admin

Re: BOOK DISCUSSION - MURDER IN ITALY

Postby FulcrumDB1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:10 am

[u][size=150][i]The Francesca Bene Incident[/i][/size][/u]

[i]I am wondering why Candace has made no mention of this in her book (or have I missed it?)[/i]

In the Afterword section of the book [i]The Monster of Florence[/i], Douglas Preston mentions an incident related to him by Mario Spezi regarding the Amanda Knox case, where Mario was approached by Francesca Bene ([i]Giornale dell'Umbria[/i]). She mentions a story that she covered, that was also printed in [i]Corriere della Sera[/i] and covered by RAI television.

On the morning of Meredith's murder, long before the body was discovered, a well known drug dealer and addict was seen washing himself in a public fountain in a piaza near the house. He was covered in blood, had a knife wound on his hand, and was screaming "I killed her... I killed her!"

Francesca interviewed many eyewitness including the ambulance driver and EMT staff, who all willingly gave their names.

The day the story was published, Francesca was called into Mignini's office and indicted for the crime of "[i]inciting public alarm by publishing false information[/i]", and the matter was squashed. The addict has been shut up in a rehab centre and no one has been allowed to interview him.

Strangely, the description given by eyewitnesses was...
    age - thirtyish
    hair - blond
    eyes - blue
    clothing - white beret and dark coat

This somewhat matches the description given by Rudy Guede in his "first" statement.

Has anyone else heard more about this?
FulcrumDB1

Re: FACEBOOK PAGE - MURDER IN ITALY

Postby wald1900 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:59 pm

I put this out as my Facebook Status today.....please feel free to steal, amend, rewrite or ignore as you see fit.

Today is Amanda Knox's 1,344th day in prison for a crime she didn't commit. It is also her birthday, the fourth she's spent behind bars. She is now 24 years old. The weather in Perugia is mainly sunny. Hot. High 94F. Winds light and variable, however in prison, I'm told the prisoners don't get much of a breeze.

Edited to correct error - it is Amanda's fourth birthday in prison.
wald1900

Postby Dougm » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:12 pm

wald1900 wrote:I put this out as my Facebook Status today.....please feel free to steal, amend, rewrite or ignore as you see fit.

Today is Amanda Knox's 1,344th day in prison for a crime she didn't commit. It is also her birthday, the third she's spent behind bars. She is now 24 years old. The weather in Perugia is mainly sunny. Hot. High 94F. Winds light and variable, however in prison, I'm told the prisoners don't get much of a breeze.

Nice. I would just volunteer that I believe this is her 4th birthday behind bars. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby wald1900 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Dougm wrote:
wald1900 wrote:I put this out as my Facebook Status today.....please feel free to steal, amend, rewrite or ignore as you see fit.

Today is Amanda Knox's 1,344th day in prison for a crime she didn't commit. It is also her birthday, the third she's spent behind bars. She is now 24 years old. The weather in Perugia is mainly sunny. Hot. High 94F. Winds light and variable, however in prison, I'm told the prisoners don't get much of a breeze.

Nice. I would just volunteer that I believe this is her 4th birthday behind bars. 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011.

And you would be correct. I noticed it a few minutes ago and edited for inability to perform simple math. I think I've got the formula now....its (B/X)^2-1 multiplied by my dogs age. Interestingly, not only does this formula reveal how many birthday's AK has spent behind bars, but also demonstrates that Rudy stood in the garden, threw a rock through the window, crawled into the house and murdered MK. As I demonstrated in my original (unedited) post, the formula is very complex and people frequently get the answer wrong although when you break it down it's really not all that tough to figure out. :D
wald1900

Postby Dougm » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:30 pm

wald1900 wrote:And you would be correct. I noticed it a few minutes ago and edited for inability to perform simple math. I think I've got the formula now....its (B/X)^2-1 multiplied by my dogs age. Interestingly, not only does this formula reveal how many birthday's AK has spent behind bars, but also demonstrates that Rudy stood in the garden, threw a rock through the window, crawled into the house and murdered MK. As I demonstrated in my original (unedited) post, the formula is very complex and people frequently get the answer wrong although when you break it down it's really not all that tough to figure out. :D

I only knew it because I have gotten it mixed up enough times, I finally remembered. Since it is not yet 4 years for Amanda in jail, it seems logical it would be 3 birthdays, but no.

That is much trickier than it should have been for the court to figure out that Rudy is the sole killer, and put an end to this farce!! Have a good one!
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Candace's Interview with Ill Messaggero

Postby Sarah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:04 pm

PDF with Candace's Interview with Ill Messaggero

guaita_dempsey.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sarah
Site Admin

Re: Candace's Interview with Ill Messaggero

Postby Sarah » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:10 pm

candace
Sarah
Site Admin

Holly Recommends…

Postby Sarah » Sun May 13, 2012 9:02 am

Great review and really interesting personal story by author!

Holly Recommends…

This entry was published on May 11, 2012

Murder in Italy by Candace Dempsey

First, I’d like to draw attention to a new feature I have added to my blog called ‘What I’m reading’ where I will file book reviews all together as a page. Here is my first review. For weeks I debated whether I really wanted to share this, but I felt it was important, so here it is:

I recently finished reading Murder in Italy by Candace Dempsey. It’s the non-fiction account of American college student Amanda Knox and British college student Meredith Kercher, who were studying in Perugia, Italy in 2007 when Meredith was found murdered. Knox was blamed, after confessing during a sleep-deprived interrogation in which she was yelled at, bullied, and hit by the officers. She immediately recanted her statement, once she was left alone and had time to regroup.

I never followed this case much, and figured that the bits of it I caught on the news, portraying her and her Italian boyfriend as crazy, sexually-obsessed killers, was accurate. I thought it was a sad story, but not a story that I really cared to know much about.

However, upon reading this book, I couldn’t help but be strongly reminded of a similar situation I found myself in, in April of 2001, when I was returning to Italy from Albania. After a really rotten time and a dangerous crossing of the Adriatic Sea on a stormy night in a tiny boat (due to bad weather the boat ride had been delayed and delayed, until finally the only option running was a small boat filled with Albanian workers, going to Italy) I arrived in southern Italy. After having traveled through Albania, I was so glad to be back on Western European soil that what was about to unfold would not register as a huge deal in my life. Over the years I have not given it much thought. At least I hadn’t until I read this book.

The thing is, none of the border patrol officers believed that two Americans in their twenties would travel in Albania for pleasure. No one believed that we were tourists, because no one tours Albania. Arriving on a small, rickety boat didn’t help matters. When my traveling companion, toting the backpack that had probably accompanied him to a dozen Phish concerts, petted the drug-sniffing dog like it was his long lost pooch, that was simply too much for the border patrol. We found ourselves detained in a small room with many Italian police officers questioning us about what we’d been doing in Albania. At first I was relatively unfazed. Annoyed with my fellow traveler for being an idiot. Tired. But compared to Albania, land of blood feuds and broken down buses and washed out roads, where women were strangely absent and there were guys standing around with machine guns everywhere, I was not that concerned. Honestly, I had been pretty sure I was going to die there, or in that boat, and I was just glad to sit down someplace clean.

Despite having been detained completely based on their suspicions alone, this detainment seemed justified. I guess I figured they pulled anyone suspicious aside and questioned them, just to be safe. I felt that traveling is unpredictable and you just have to roll with what comes your way. This seemed like a hiccup, nothing more.

The officers searched through our bags. They dumped everything out on the floor and picked through our belongings, commenting in Italian on my underwear and other personal belongings. I began to wonder where exactly this was going. I began to be a little bit concerned about whether justice would prevail, because nothing was feeling orderly or professional. They talked to us then yelled at us then talked to one another. They brought in other officers who spoke better English. They asked us again and again what we had been doing in Albania. As it got later and I got more and more tired and hungry, I began to get over my relief at being back on Western European soil and I began to wonder when this would end, when we would be able to leave. They stopped questioning us and most of them went away, leaving us sitting there, waiting, and then returned, with a woman officer. And I instantly knew what this meant. We were going to be strip searched. I began to cry.

“Why are you crying?” they asked me.

“I know why she is here. You’re going to strip search us,” I said.

Somehow, in this moment, a zipper in my fellow traveler’s backpack that had not been uncovered was opened by one of the officers, and inside was a chintzy souvenir Albanian flag. The type of thing a drug smuggler would probably not bother buying. And they let us go. Just like that, what could have been a nightmare was over.

Since Italians eat dinner very late, we were still able to go out to eat. As I recall, sitting down and eating was all we cared about. I don’t recall if we even talked much about what had just happened. Really, so much had happened over the past couple of weeks that it seemed incidental.

I lumped this experience as the final detail of Albania, and even blamed it on Albania in my mind. If we’d returned via Greece instead, this wouldn’t have happened, I figured.

But so much of Murder in Italy reminded me of that long forgotten night that the older, wiser, more careful and settled version of myself looks back at it, wondering how it kept from spinning even more out of control. Like Amanda Knox, I was young and underestimated the gravity of what was happening. I trusted that since I was innocent, they would figure out that I had done nothing wrong. The difference is that she was suspected of murder, and she was even younger and more trusting than I was. Not to mention more sleep deprived by the time she confessed. This book convinced me that she and her boyfriend, along with their families, were victims of a government that wanted to quickly solve a case and turn attention away from the possibility of their city having a legitimate crime problem. They ruined her reputation and almost let the real killer get away. It’s a sad story, one I probably would not have believed if her story was not so familiar to me.

It may seem like a stretch to say that what happened to me and my fellow traveler compares to what happened to her and her boyfriend, but the descriptions in the book, and the way both interrogations began, seemed very similar to me. I think when she first sat down she probably felt very much the way I felt, like she as just going to roll with this and it would be okay, only things ended up much differently for her.

To me, the mark of a great book is whether you think about it after you put it down. I wouldn’t normally classify a true crime type of book as great, but this one stuck with me, and compelled me to tell my own story in defense of Amanda Knox. I believe she is innocent and I hope other people will read this book and see through what happened to her as well.

http://hollyrecommends.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/murder-in-italy-by-candace-dempsey/
Sarah
Site Admin

Re: Holly Recommends…

Postby Dougm » Sun May 13, 2012 10:08 am

Sarah wrote:Great review and really interesting personal story by author!

Holly Recommends…

This entry was published on May 11, 2012

Murder in Italy by Candace Dempsey

First, I’d like to draw attention to a new feature I have added to my blog called ‘What I’m reading’ where I will file book reviews all together as a page. Here is my first review. For weeks I debated whether I really wanted to share this, but I felt it was important, so here it is:

I recently finished reading Murder in Italy by Candace Dempsey. It’s the non-fiction account of American college student Amanda Knox and British college student Meredith Kercher, who were studying in Perugia, Italy in 2007 when Meredith was found murdered. Knox was blamed, after confessing during a sleep-deprived interrogation in which she was yelled at, bullied, and hit by the officers. She immediately recanted her statement, once she was left alone and had time to regroup.

I never followed this case much, and figured that the bits of it I caught on the news, portraying her and her Italian boyfriend as crazy, sexually-obsessed killers, was accurate. I thought it was a sad story, but not a story that I really cared to know much about.

However, upon reading this book, I couldn’t help but be strongly reminded of a similar situation I found myself in, in April of 2001, when I was returning to Italy from Albania. After a really rotten time and a dangerous crossing of the Adriatic Sea on a stormy night in a tiny boat (due to bad weather the boat ride had been delayed and delayed, until finally the only option running was a small boat filled with Albanian workers, going to Italy) I arrived in southern Italy. After having traveled through Albania, I was so glad to be back on Western European soil that what was about to unfold would not register as a huge deal in my life. Over the years I have not given it much thought. At least I hadn’t until I read this book.

The thing is, none of the border patrol officers believed that two Americans in their twenties would travel in Albania for pleasure. No one believed that we were tourists, because no one tours Albania. Arriving on a small, rickety boat didn’t help matters. When my traveling companion, toting the backpack that had probably accompanied him to a dozen Phish concerts, petted the drug-sniffing dog like it was his long lost pooch, that was simply too much for the border patrol. We found ourselves detained in a small room with many Italian police officers questioning us about what we’d been doing in Albania. At first I was relatively unfazed. Annoyed with my fellow traveler for being an idiot. Tired. But compared to Albania, land of blood feuds and broken down buses and washed out roads, where women were strangely absent and there were guys standing around with machine guns everywhere, I was not that concerned. Honestly, I had been pretty sure I was going to die there, or in that boat, and I was just glad to sit down someplace clean.

Despite having been detained completely based on their suspicions alone, this detainment seemed justified. I guess I figured they pulled anyone suspicious aside and questioned them, just to be safe. I felt that traveling is unpredictable and you just have to roll with what comes your way. This seemed like a hiccup, nothing more.

The officers searched through our bags. They dumped everything out on the floor and picked through our belongings, commenting in Italian on my underwear and other personal belongings. I began to wonder where exactly this was going. I began to be a little bit concerned about whether justice would prevail, because nothing was feeling orderly or professional. They talked to us then yelled at us then talked to one another. They brought in other officers who spoke better English. They asked us again and again what we had been doing in Albania. As it got later and I got more and more tired and hungry, I began to get over my relief at being back on Western European soil and I began to wonder when this would end, when we would be able to leave. They stopped questioning us and most of them went away, leaving us sitting there, waiting, and then returned, with a woman officer. And I instantly knew what this meant. We were going to be strip searched. I began to cry.

“Why are you crying?” they asked me.

“I know why she is here. You’re going to strip search us,” I said.

Somehow, in this moment, a zipper in my fellow traveler’s backpack that had not been uncovered was opened by one of the officers, and inside was a chintzy souvenir Albanian flag. The type of thing a drug smuggler would probably not bother buying. And they let us go. Just like that, what could have been a nightmare was over.

Since Italians eat dinner very late, we were still able to go out to eat. As I recall, sitting down and eating was all we cared about. I don’t recall if we even talked much about what had just happened. Really, so much had happened over the past couple of weeks that it seemed incidental.

I lumped this experience as the final detail of Albania, and even blamed it on Albania in my mind. If we’d returned via Greece instead, this wouldn’t have happened, I figured.

But so much of Murder in Italy reminded me of that long forgotten night that the older, wiser, more careful and settled version of myself looks back at it, wondering how it kept from spinning even more out of control. Like Amanda Knox, I was young and underestimated the gravity of what was happening. I trusted that since I was innocent, they would figure out that I had done nothing wrong. The difference is that she was suspected of murder, and she was even younger and more trusting than I was. Not to mention more sleep deprived by the time she confessed. This book convinced me that she and her boyfriend, along with their families, were victims of a government that wanted to quickly solve a case and turn attention away from the possibility of their city having a legitimate crime problem. They ruined her reputation and almost let the real killer get away. It’s a sad story, one I probably would not have believed if her story was not so familiar to me.

It may seem like a stretch to say that what happened to me and my fellow traveler compares to what happened to her and her boyfriend, but the descriptions in the book, and the way both interrogations began, seemed very similar to me. I think when she first sat down she probably felt very much the way I felt, like she as just going to roll with this and it would be okay, only things ended up much differently for her.

To me, the mark of a great book is whether you think about it after you put it down. I wouldn’t normally classify a true crime type of book as great, but this one stuck with me, and compelled me to tell my own story in defense of Amanda Knox. I believe she is innocent and I hope other people will read this book and see through what happened to her as well.

http://hollyrecommends.wordpress.com/2012/05/11/murder-in-italy-by-candace-dempsey/

I have posted before that people who are suspicious of Amanda's actions need to put it in context, and this is a perfect example of what I am trying to get at. It's not that Amanda is perfect or that she did everything right. But if put in the context of who she was, what she was doing in Italy, her age and personality, her actions, all of them, make sense. It is only when people assume she should act like a 40 year old woman who was not in a foreign land that her actions seem so odd.

Thanks for sharing!!

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby MustBeQuantum » Sun May 13, 2012 10:38 am

There but by the grace of Luck or God go any one of us. For some reason, ignoring the "hostage" aspects of international travel is ignored nowadays. Why would anyone go to Albania (hated in the EU for a long time), or any of the former SSR countries which have brought their own isolated morality to the "civilized" countries? Imagining that a "western" country could never treat travelers badly is naive at best and idiocy at worst.

My own rather cynical wish is that some of the people whining about "respecting" other cultures or laws deal with them in real time and real experience.

Travel should be encouraged and celebrated, but we all have to be aware of the dangers.
MustBeQuantum

Postby roteoctober » Sun May 13, 2012 2:35 pm

Well, certainly the Italian Police doesn't come out well from that story.
Probably they were extremely suspicious of anyone coming from Albania, and they still are to this day, but ten years ago it was even worse.
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby pmop57 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Life at NO RISK does not exist.
pmop57

Return to Book Reviews and Discussion