John Follain - Amanda Knox’s $4m book deal is ‘dirty money’

This is a public forum discussing the wrongful conviction of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. Please read the guidelines before posting.

John Follain - Amanda Knox’s $4m book deal is ‘dirty money’

Postby Sarah » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 am

Sunday Times today:

Amanda Knox’s $4m book deal is ‘dirty money’
John Follain, Rome
Published: 14 April 2013

A REPORTED $4m (£2.6m) advance paid to the American student Amanda Knox for her autobiography is “dirty money”, according to the former bar owner she falsely accused of murdering Meredith Kercher.
Patrick Lumumba, who owned the bar where Knox worked as a waitress, alleged that she slandered him to cover her own involvement in the 2007 killing of Kercher, an exchange student from Coulsdon, south London. Kercher was found almost naked with her throat cut in her cottage in the Italian town of Perugia.
Knox, 25, will publish Waiting to be Heard on April 30 in the United States, despite facing a new trial over Kercher’s murder. HarperCollins, its British publisher, said publication had been delayed in the UK on legal advice.
“Knox shouldn’t earn money because I think she’s guilty . . . [This is] the version of a girl who tells lies, she has changed her story,” said Lumumba, 43, who was arrested and jailed for a fortnight after her accusation.
He said the advance was wrong “from a moral point of view”, adding that Knox had failed to apologise for slandering him. “For me the $4m are dirty, they’re dirty money,” he said.
Last month Italy’s highest court overturned an earlier acquittal of Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito, 29, and ordered a retrial for both of them.
Police arrested Knox, Lumumba and Sollecito after she placed herself at the crime scene, saying she was in the kitchen of the cottage while Lumumba killed Kercher in the latter’s bedroom. Knox later withdrew her statement, saying she spent the night of the murder at her boyfriend’s flat.
The court confirmed Knox’s earlier conviction for slandering Lumumba and ordered the new trial to establish why she had done so. Only Rudy Guede, an Ivory Coast drifter, has been definitively convicted of killing Kercher.
Lumumba, who was cleared after witnesses proved he was at a bar, Le Chic, on the night of the murder, hailed the quashing of the acquittal as “greatly satisfying” and said he would attend the new trial, due to take place in Florence in the autumn.
“When Amanda Knox slandered me, she was trying to avoid being condemned for murder,” Lumumba said.
“Condemning her for slander, without convicting her [also] of murder, makes no sense, because she did it to hide her guilt.”
Asked why he thought Knox was guilty, Lumumba replied: “Because she never said, ‘I apologise because I slandered Patrick.’ She never said this and that means it’s a strategy. I believe that if a person is innocent and did nothing, she doesn’t need this strategy.
“I’m convinced she knows very well what happened to Meredith, but we cannot say how it happened.”
Investigators have said Kercher was murdered after she refused to take part in a drug-fuelled sex game.
After her acquittal was reversed, Knox said, “Any questions as to my innocence must be examined by an objective investigation and a capable prosecution.” She said previous prosecutors who were “responsible for the many discrepancies in their work must be made to answer for them”.
Robert Barnett, a Washington lawyer who negotiated Knox’s publishing contract, said she had “marched through [her experiences] with incredible dignity and respect”.
Lumumba is appealing to the European Court of Human Rights after an Italian judge awarded him €8,000 (£6,800) in damages, a sum he said was “ridiculous”. He lost the bar he owned and now works in restaurants and bars run by friends.
Sarah
Site Admin

Re: John Follain - Amanda Knox’s $4m book deal is ‘dirty mon

Postby pmop57 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 am

PL might be right that EUR 8.000,- is not enough but at the end he is attacking the wrong person! As I still believe that the interrogation was illegal and would not stand an examination by the ECHR a higher sum might very well fall back to the Italien State. But as difficult as it is we have to wait for the motivation report and the final issue of the trial(s). And finally it will be a decision of Amanda and her team to bring (or not) the case to the ECHR and I believe that she and her team will make the right decisions.
pmop57

Postby MichaelB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 am

He's annoying hey. His 15 mins was up years ago but he's a flea you can't get rid of.

If he got a toothache he'd probably blame Amanda.
Cristina Magnani
‏@cri_magnani @Annella ricordati testa di cazzo, che io non ho padroni. Io non prendo ordini. Io li do'
hahahaha Cretina.
MichaelB

Postby Supernaut » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 am

As if more confimation were needed of what a craven and unscrupulous character Lumumba has turned out to be.
Truth is truth though never so old and time cannot make that false which once was true - Edward de Vere

For truth is truth to the end of reckoning - Will Shake-speare
Supernaut

Postby pmop57 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:10 pm

I cannot see what can be 'dirty money' on a book deal ! Really, what is the state of mind of those people and reading some of those comments I ask myself what planet they are living on.
pmop57

Postby Chris_Halkides » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:16 pm

Amanda apologized on more than one occasion. The first time was to the court, and I believe that was on 30 November 2007. She also apologized at the start of the trial of second instance, IIRC. Both Patrick and Mr. Follain should be aware of that:

"Patrick? I don't see you. But I'm sorry. I'm sorry because I didn't mean to do wrong to do you. I was very naïve and not courageous at all; I should have been able to withstand the pressures that caused me to do harm to you. I didn't mean to contribute to what you have suffered. You know what it means to have unjust accusations imposed on your skin. You didn't deserve what you experienced and I hope you will be able to find peace."
Chris_Halkides

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:17 pm

Supernaut wrote:As if more confimation were needed of what a craven and unscrupulous character Lumumba has turned out to be.

You have to understand that in Perugia the local prosecutor/judicial bureaucracy has all sorts of leverage over this guy and that they are willing to use it ruthlessly and this is probably the only way he can protect his family - by toadying up to the local authorities. Of course, he should be suing Mignini for wrongful imprisonment based on flimsy evidence and then no evidence at all as of November 7 when Amanda retracted her statement. But if he did that, the local authorities would retaliate big time!!
erasmus44

Postby Chris_Halkides » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Yes, but Patrick lives in Poland now.
Chris_Halkides

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Chris_Halkides wrote:Yes, but Patrick lives in Poland now.

I stand corrected. Any info on why he moved? Are any members of his family still in Italy?
erasmus44

Postby Hans » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:28 pm

He [Raffaele] is collateral damage in the unreasonable, irresponsible, and unrelenting scapegoating of the prosecution’s grotesque caricature that is “Foxy Knoxy”
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby erasmus44 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:51 pm

We obviously need a better translation but if there an implication that he may still own an interest in a bar in Perugia?
erasmus44

Postby kindlekitten » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:53 pm

remind me again who Follain is in this non ending cast of clowns?
kindlekitten

Postby B_Real » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:07 pm

kindlekitten wrote:remind me again who Follain is in this non ending cast of clowns?

Creepy UK journalist who wrote a pro-guilt book and was in cahoots with the prosecution.
B_Real

Postby Supernaut » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:06 pm

B_Real wrote:
kindlekitten wrote:remind me again who Follain is in this non ending cast of clowns?

Creepy UK journalist who wrote a pro-guilt book and was in cahoots with the prosecution.

Creepy is right. I was watching the BBC coverage of the appeal verdict live - at one point shortly after the verdict Follain was in mid-flow with a Beeb reporter who had to interrupt him for an audio feed, and the camera stayed on them for a full minute (ETA>> actually, it was longer than that - 2 or 3 minutes) while she conversed with someone else before she got back to him.

He stood there like a statue, with a neutral if slightly resentful expression on his face, but not moving a muscle, so much as scratching his nose.

It was, quite frankly, WEIRD.
Truth is truth though never so old and time cannot make that false which once was true - Edward de Vere

For truth is truth to the end of reckoning - Will Shake-speare
Supernaut

Postby ScifiTom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:35 am

MichaelB wrote:He's annoying hey. His 15 mins was up years ago but he's a flea you can't get rid of.

If he got a toothache he'd probably blame Amanda.

To Sarah & Micheal B.

First I would like to thanks Sarah for the information and I truly belive that John Follain doesn't get it, that it not about the money. It about she got screw of a nasty prosecutor who want to hurt her of not knowing anything about criminal law. I can come on millions of theory stuff through what Prosecutor Guilano Mignini did to her, and you are right Micheal B. if Johnny boy has a toothache he will blame Amanda for nothing of not knowing of being a journals of saying he thinks he wrote a guilty book of the crime and he dead wrong because Amanda was wrong convicted from this crime of sloppy joe!!!
TMJ

Coming soon: My own Anne Hathaway Website business in the near future!!!
ScifiTom

Postby Hans » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am

Isn't it interesting that nothing that was published over the last few days is really news?
Follain's piece about Lumumba resembles this piece from the Daily Mail written by Nick Pisa.
Nadeau's latest about Arline Kercher recycles articles about the family's press conference after the aquittal.
And even Graham's latest article even if it's good is only a combination of three articles from the sun. (His take on the evidence, the one about the guard and one about that lesbian affair-thing that had been written much earlier.)
The editor of Perugia Today get's upset over a rewriting of old news, so what?
The Castellini piece was new to me, but maybe even that "update" on Guede's case had been written for the 2011 edition of their book, (it's not clear from the article.)
Much ado about nothing...
He [Raffaele] is collateral damage in the unreasonable, irresponsible, and unrelenting scapegoating of the prosecution’s grotesque caricature that is “Foxy Knoxy”
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby pmop57 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 am

You must milk the cow as long as possible, what more what better and if only possible at the costs of Amanda.
It's simply hypocritic when they speak about blood money when it is about Amanda's book. They fool the public and that is their main business. All that scribbling will land where it belongs to, on the dunghill.
pmop57

Postby Dougm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:22 am

This highlights the problems with Italy's justice system to me. So remind me, what is it that Amanda supposedly did to Lumumba that has made him so angry? Oh, right, she accused him of murder, but he is innocent. Horrible, horrible, even if she was being coerced by cops and was a very young woman who did know what was going on, that is really, really, bad.

So now, Lumumba repeatedly accuses her of murder, when she is innocent, and he has no real information about her guilt. But that is OK for some reason.

This is what they call, "justice".
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby european neighbour » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:35 am

The three steps of the three wrong persons who were wronged:

1. They arrested the wrong persons when they falsely proclaimed the guilt of Amanda, Raffaele and Patrick.

2. They beyond captured the very wrong persons in the sense of capability, personality, character, excellence etc. and I will concede that also Patrick may be (might have been) a likeable and nice guy.

3. But when it comes to the ordeal then we see two "kids" overcoming 4 years of wrongful incarceration in an exemplary manner and in comparison a definitely more adult Patrick dealing with two weeks in a more discraceful manner.
european neighbour

Postby Merlinovich » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 am

Lumumba's soul was for sale, he criticized the police for his treatment and arrest, but suddenly changed the story and claimed the police had done nothing wrong. Let the innocent throw the first stone. Lumumba is the one with a dirty conscience. Amanda apologized to him in court even though he wasn't there at the moment. But Lumumba can read, can't he? He claims she never apologized to him, which is a lie.
Merlinovich

Postby Hans » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 pm

It's all the journalists getting themselves back into the spotlight, Follain chose Lumumba, Nadeau Arline Kercher and Graham chose to balance the sex stories that "might be" in the book with the evidence. The evidence part obviously lost.
I guess the German Bild will have put together a piece of all this tomorrow (they haven't published the latest set of Amanda pictures yet). They are all killing time until either the Supreme Court's motivation or Amanda's book and interview are released. I think there will be a lot of old stories warmed up and published over the next weeks.
But back to the "dirty money" or even "blood money" part, if I recall Frank's posts on that matter correctly Lumumba asked for a compensation of 512.000 Euros for his ten days in prison. That he got only 8.000 minus court costs for pushing it all up to the Supreme Court must have deeply disapointed him.
It's also interesting that in this story "coloured" people play the race-card. I guess Charles Mudede started this very early on by bringing up (inventing?) the story told by "Matthew" about that incident in the coffee-shop ("My people killed your people.") Lumumba embraces the role of the victim of a racist motivated crime. In one of the documentaries, I think it was in "Sex, lies and the murder of Meredith Kercher" he said in an interview "She accused me because I'm black." And suddenly all of it makes sense. The whitebread American with a German heritage must be a racist and obviously blames the nearest black man when in trouble. (Wendy Murphy shrieking "But she blamed an innocent black man!" from shortly after the aquittal rings in my ears.)
That both Daily Mail articles are still available online isn't good for Lumumba's credibility but as we say in German: "Was kümmert mich mein Geschwätz von gestern." Nothing is older than yesterday's newspaper.
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby erasmus44 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:57 pm

These stories, threats of lawsuits, arguments about money are really focused on a desperate effort to prevent the defendants from mounting an effective defense in court. The prosecution has an enormous resource advantage here and normally is able to "bully" indigent defendants into submission. They are terrified of a well funded, effective defense focused on the weaknesses of the prosecution case and the outcome of a possible revelation of prosecutorial and police misconduct. That is why we will now see an all out effort to starve the defense of resources to proceed. For Maresca, of course, there is the prospect of a big "pay day" and he will work tirelessly to reach the "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow.
erasmus44

Postby Hans » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm

Another thing on the "blood money"
Why is there no similar outrage against:
- Castellini (1 book + update, various articles)
- Sarzanini (1 book , various articles)
- Nadeau (1 renamed book , various articles)
- Follain (2 books, if you count "Death in Italy" as a new book, various articles)
- Savive (one very low quality e-book and a blog)
- Russel, Johnson, Garofano (1 book, several TV appearances for Garofano)
- Pezzan, Brunoro (1 book)
- King (1 book)
as there is against Dempsey, Burleigh, Girlanda, Brown, Waterbury, de Jesus (2?), Fischer, Preston/Spezi and of course Sollecito and now Knox for collecting "Blood Money" and profiting from Meredith's murder?
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby TomG » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am

For those who haven't seen them yet here are Patrick’s two versions of events indicating that it was he who changed his story, perhaps he just doesn’t want to be the only one!!

Mail online 25th November 2007

At 6.30am on Tuesday, November 6, the bell to his fourth-floor flat in the town buzzed insistently and a woman's voice outside demanded he opened the door. He had barely had time to do so when the woman, assisted by, Patrick estimates, 15 to 20 others, barged their way in.

"They were wearing normal clothes and carrying guns," he says. "I thought it must be some sort of armed gang about to kill me. I was terrified. "They hit me over the head and yelled 'dirty black'. Then they put handcuffs on me and shoved me out of the door, as Aleksandra pulled Davide away, screaming."

He was greeted outside by a convoy of seven police cars, sirens blazing, and driven to Perugia's police station, where he was subjected to a ten-hour interrogation.

"I was questioned by five men and women, some of whom punched and kicked me," he claims. "They forced me on my knees against the wall and said I should be in America where I would be given the electric chair for my crime. All they kept saying was, 'You did it, you did it.' "I didn't know what I'd 'done'. I was scared and humiliated. Then, after a couple of hours one of them suggested they show me a picture of 'the dead girl' to get me to confess. "It might sound naive, but it was only then that I made the connection between Meredith's death and my arrest. Stunned, I said, 'You think I killed Meredith?' "They said, 'Oh, so now you've remembered' and told me that if I confessed I'd only get half the 30-year sentence."

It wasn't until 5.30pm that ? still handcuffed and unfed ? he was shown the evidence against him, a statement from Amanda saying that on the night of November 1 he had persuaded her to take him back to the house she shared with Meredith and two others. He had then, she claimed, gone into Meredith's room and raped her before killing her while she sat and listened to the screams from the kitchen. She said he was motivated by revenge after Meredith had rejected him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urder.html

Mail online 11th October 2011

Knox said she had given them his name after a 14-hour interrogation and also claimed that she had been hit twice by police - a claim they deny and which has cost her a charge of slander.

Mr Lumumba said: 'One thing I could never understand is that Amanda has always said she was given a rough time by the police. But I was named as the one who killed Meredith, the black third-world African, and they never gave me any problems. 'I do find that very strange, and I also find it amazing that she has never actually said sorry to me - when we were questioned she didn't even tell the police that I had nothing to do with it.'

Mr Lumumba was eventually released after a Swiss professor came forward to say he could not have been the killer, as he had been a customer in the bar the night of the murder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... urder.html

The reasons why don’t really need to be asked. The motivation for change was obviously the Perugia Police department and probably Mignini himself. If he were to get any compensation from Amanda he would have had to toe the line. He changed his story exonerating the police and got himself onside with them.

All he needed to do was make the right noises and the police would do him no further harm!! They probably had him in for a little tete-a-tete and with a little persuasion and a reminder of the alternatives Patrick had little choice! Do you really think he had much alternative after his first version of events?
Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what your country can do for Amanda and Raffaele.
TomG

Postby Grayhawker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Amanda's Book Excerpt wrote:As closing arguments were underway during her appeal in October 2011, Knox drew three columns in her journal. Each column shows a list of the things she would do with her life based on the three possible outcomes she faced: freedom, 26 years in prison or a life sentence.

Her "life-imprisonment list" included:

Stop writing letters home.
Ask family to forget me?
Suicide?

While awaiting the court's ruling on her appeal, Knox imagined her mother, Edda Mellas, going home to Seattle alone. Thinking of this worst case scenario -- her mother leaving Italy without her -- she wanted to find a way to comfort her. Knox wrote her mother a letter – or maybe a goodbye note – that would arrive after the appeal verdict.

On Oct. 3, 2011, Knox was acquitted of murder and freed immediately. She walked through the prison gates one final time – leaving behind the fears, depression and loss of hope.

Knox's final letter to her mother arrived in Seattle not long after she did.

The beginning reads, "I'm writing this letter in case you come home and I'm not there with you to receive it, just in case we didn't win and I won't be going home for a long time."

This is powerful. It broke my heart to think about the letter waiting for her mom. The depth of Amanda's concern for others is reflected in that action. Where is the selfishness or self-centeredness that guilters want to paint her as? Nowhere, because they never knew the real Amanda, and never will.

I hope, sincerely hope, that Meredith's family reads the book. If this short piece is any indication, they will finally learn who Amanda is and can approach her about Meredith's last days and what Meredith meant to Amanda. They would gain back a piece of Meredith's life this way, a precious piece.
Paolo Micheli stated with regard to Amanda and Raffaele: "We do not need evidence, common sense and logic tell us that they dated each other to commit this crime."
Grayhawker

Postby Dougm » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Hans wrote:Another thing on the "blood money"
- Follain (2 books, if you count "Death in Italy" as a new book, various articles)
- King (1 book)
as there is against Dempsey, Burleigh, Girlanda, Brown, Waterbury, de Jesus (2?), Fischer, Preston/Spezi and of course Sollecito and now Knox for collecting "Blood Money" and profiting from Meredith's murder?

I believe it is called "selective indignation". :rolleyes:
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby Hans » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Grayhawker wrote:
Amanda's Book Excerpt wrote:As closing arguments were underway during her appeal in October 2011, Knox drew three columns in her journal. Each column shows a list of the things she would do with her life based on the three possible outcomes she faced: freedom, 26 years in prison or a life sentence.

Ask family to forget me?
Suicide?

While awaiting the court's ruling on her appeal, Knox imagined her mother, Edda Mellas, going home to Seattle alone. Thinking of this worst case scenario -- her mother leaving Italy without her -- she wanted to find a way to comfort her. Knox wrote her mother a letter – or maybe a goodbye note – that would arrive after the appeal verdict.

On Oct. 3, 2011, Knox was acquitted of murder and freed immediately. She walked through the prison gates one final time – leaving behind the fears, depression and loss of hope.

The beginning reads, "I'm writing this letter in case you come home and I'm not there with you to receive it, just in case we didn't win and I won't be going home for a long time."

This is powerful. It broke my heart to think about the letter waiting for her mom. The depth of Amanda's concern for others is reflected in that action. Where is the selfishness or self-centeredness that guilters want to paint her as? Nowhere, because they never knew the real Amanda, and never will.

I hope, sincerely hope, that Meredith's family reads the book. If this short piece is any indication, they will finally learn who Amanda is and can approach her about Meredith's last days and what Meredith meant to Amanda. They would gain back a piece of Meredith's life this way, a precious piece.
Where did you get that quote? :Asche auf mein Haupt:
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby Hans » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Dougm wrote:
Hans wrote:Another thing on the "blood money"
- King (1 book)

I believe it is called "selective indignation". :rolleyes:
Or something like that... :((:
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby Grayhawker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Hans wrote:
Grayhawker wrote:

Ask family to forget me?
Suicide?

Where did you get that quote? :Asche auf mein Haupt:

It was ABC one but when I looked at them again, they appear to have edited their online story. Pretty sure it was the ABC one because it was advertising the Sawyer interview and it had an associated video. It was the end of the 2nd page which is now different.

Amanda Knox Reveals in Book She Considered Suicide in Prison
Paolo Micheli stated with regard to Amanda and Raffaele: "We do not need evidence, common sense and logic tell us that they dated each other to commit this crime."
Grayhawker

Postby pmop57 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:41 am

I think Follain is actually preparing volume 4 to 7 of his book series and probably he will offer the income from the books to the Kercher family. Just a point of view.
pmop57

Postby schmidt53 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:45 am

pmop57 wrote:I think Follain is actually preparing volume 4 to 7 of his book series and probably he will offer the income from the books to the Kercher family. Just a point of view.

"Just a point of view" is that the title of book? Just not a definitive point of view?
schmidt53

Return to Injustice in Perugia - Public Discussion Forum