Amanda Knox Book - Waiting to be heard

Amanda Knox Book - Waiting to be heard

Postby ScifiTom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 am

To everyone

Hey everyone, as we all already know that Amanda is writing a book and got her book publisher ready even now their is more news on this part of today that I am not sure of it. But it saying that Amanda book will be publish in summer of 2012. But I could be wrong anyway. I found this article and here is the link and enjoy reading it, and will you buy this book???

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/13/busin ... shers.html

For me, yes I will buy this book and course I am going to read it, even I truly belive it is a good book to become an excellent true crime story of freedom of faith!!!

From Tom

Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir
Amanda Knox

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Be-Heard-A-Memoir/dp/0062217208
TMJ

Anne Hathaway number 1 fan

Free the Innocence 2

Free: Kirstin Lobato Las Vegas NV & Dusty Turner Norfolk VA
ScifiTom

Re: Amanda Knox Book

Postby Graeme » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 am

“I think it’s a huge gamble for somebody,” said one publisher who did not intend to bid on the book and declined to be named because the auction was taking place privately. “It’s not like she has been exonerated in a clear and definitive way.” - :roll:

Yes, I will definitely be buying it.
Graeme

Postby RoseMontague » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:42 am

I would love to buy this book as well. I wish they would hurry up and get working on it.
RoseMontague

Postby Giordano Bruno » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:15 am

I will buy it also, of course.

I'm sure that Amanda's lovely personality will come across in the writing and I loved her short story which is in 'Take Me With You'.

I hope Amanda makes an enormous lot from it and she deserves every penny for her work and her ordeal.
For educated opinion of the case, please read 'Injustice in Perugia' by Bruce Fisher and 'The Monster of Perugia' by Mark Waterbury.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Dougm » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Nina Burleigh tweeted today that the bidding is up to $3.8 million! I hope she is right. She does not say the source.
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby Giordano Bruno » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:36 pm

Dougm wrote:Nina Burleigh tweeted today that the bidding is up to $3.8 million! I hope she is right. She does not say the source.
I hope so too. :)
For educated opinion of the case, please read 'Injustice in Perugia' by Bruce Fisher and 'The Monster of Perugia' by Mark Waterbury.
Giordano Bruno

Postby MustBeQuantum » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 pm

I have a general question regarding the US and I am not sure where it should go:

On the UK Huffpost thread, one commenter was insistent that the US Attorney General personally guaranteed that Ms Knox would return to Perugia if she was to be retried. How the heck is the US AG involved? Did Hellman and Zanetti call him up and demand a bond before they would release her?

That comment was on the book thread, so I put it in this one. Does anyone here know about any US government guarantees? I thought the government was pretty much staying out while the trial was going on.
MustBeQuantum

Postby roteoctober » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:19 pm

MustBeQuantum wrote:I have a general question regarding the US and I am not sure where it should go:

On the UK Huffpost thread, one commenter was insistent that the US Attorney General personally guaranteed that Ms Knox would return to Perugia if she was to be retried. How the heck is the US AG involved? Did Hellman and Zanetti call him up and demand a bond before they would release her?

That comment was on the book thread, so I put it in this one. Does anyone here know about any US government guarantees? I thought the government was pretty much staying out while the trial was going on.

I think it's bogus, the more so since she could be tried "in absentia", that is without she being present.
Moreover such a guarantee, if somehow became known to that commenter, would have been well known by the media and would certainly have been (repeatedly) quoted during so many hours of broadcasts...
Finally such guarantee could not be legitimately requested by Italy, since after acquittal she was to any purpose a free citizen under Italian law.
I also think that under US law such guarantees cannot be given lighthandedly...

Above all, according to what I've read, the last word about extraditions is anyway up to the Secretary of State and not to the Attorney General:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/15mcrm.htm#9-15.700

point 4:

If the court finds the fugitive to be extraditable, it enters an order of extraditability and certifies the record to the Secretary of State, who decides whether to surrender the fugitive to the requesting government.
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby sflicker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:03 pm

roteoctober wrote:
MustBeQuantum wrote:I have a general question regarding the US and I am not sure where it should go:

I think it's bogus, the more so since she could be tried "in absentia", that is without she being present.
Moreover such a guarantee, if somehow became known to that commenter, would have been well known by the media and would certainly have been (repeatedly) quoted during so many hours of broadcasts...
Finally such guarantee could not be legitimately requested by Italy, since after acquittal she was to any purpose a free citizen under Italian law.
I also think that under US law such guarantees cannot be given lighthandedly...

Above all, according to what I've read, the last word about extraditions is anyway up to the Secretary of State and not to the Attorney General:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/15mcrm.htm#9-15.700

point 4:

If the court finds the fugitive to be extraditable, it enters an order of extraditability and certifies the record to the Secretary of State, who decides whether to surrender the fugitive to the requesting government.

If the supreme court where to throw out the acquittal and send the case back to the appeals court. Could extradition be asked for at that point or would the Italians have to wait to a conviction from the appeals court? or even a a final conviction at the supreme court level? I really hope it doesn't go this far as this could be 4-5 more years before it's all settled if two more trials after the supreme court.
sflicker

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:06 pm

sflicker wrote: If the supreme court where to throw out the acquittal and send the case back to the appeals court. Could extradition be asked for at that point or would the Italians have to wait to a conviction from the appeals court? or even a a final conviction at the supreme court level? I really hope it doesn't go this far as this could be 4-5 more years before it's all settled if two more trials after the supreme court.

Truly, I feel more for the Kerchers about this possibility than the Knox/Mellas clan - even as it would be simply an extension of the nightmare.
    “The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Dougm » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:19 pm

Even if this made any sense, which it doesn't (why would the US Attorney General make this type of statement, even if it were in his power to do so?), I think those UK Huffposters might be advised not to take anything said by any politician too seriously. A statement that they would guarantee they would do XYZ at some future date, not knowing what had transpired in the case, and in the world, between now and then?

Please. If they believe that, I have this really cool looking bridge that connects lower Manhattan and Brooklyn, and they can buy it from me, at the right price!
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby Grayhawker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:37 pm

If Italy tried to get Amanda extradited, it will be tied up in US courts for years.

The US law does not allow double jeopardy. Unless they have new evidence, that a US appeal court would have to review, or they have a new crime to charge her with, there is no way the US would allow the request.
Paolo Micheli stated with regard to Amanda and Raffaele: "We do not need evidence, common sense and logic tell us that they dated each other to commit this crime."
Grayhawker

Postby Clive Wismayer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:13 am

Grayhawker wrote:If Italy tried to get Amanda extradited, it will be tied up in US courts for years.

The US law does not allow double jeopardy. Unless they have new evidence, that a US appeal court would have to review, or they have a new crime to charge her with, there is no way the US would allow the request.

I would like to see them try to extradite her. They would be utterly humiliated. I wonder whether there is a discovery process? Maybe a US judge could demand those tapes .... ? But for the fact that Amanda is a real person and it's her liberty at stake, not mine, I would say, 'bring it on'.
Clive Wismayer

Postby roteoctober » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 am

sflicker wrote:
If the supreme court where to throw out the acquittal and send the case back to the appeals court. Could extradition be asked for at that point or would the Italians have to wait to a conviction from the appeals court? or even a a final conviction at the supreme court level? I really hope it doesn't go this far as this could be 4-5 more years before it's all settled if two more trials after the supreme court.

I'm not totally sure if extradition could not theoretically be asked just in order to have her at the trial but from all that I've read nobody considers the hypothesis of an extradition request before a conviction confirmed by the SC.

Let's put it clear and open: extraditing Amanda Knox would be a big POLITICAL issue: media reaction in the US, a lot of controversies (and I'm not even talking about legal issues), the possibility that the Secretary of State (Clinton or another one doesn't matter, if Knox is popular enough as to make conceding extradition a political liability in term of votes, it won't be conceded by ANY Administration, be it Obama, Romney, Santorum, Gingrich...)...all of that would create a lot of stir between Italy and the US so nobody would ever conceive of asking for it for anything less of a full conviction.

I goes also so far as to state that all these political issues won't be totally neglected by the SC. ;)
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby Giordano Bruno » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:48 am

On a new thread?
Giordano Bruno

Postby roteoctober » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:04 am

Correct, we are going a bit off topic...
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby Grayhawker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:46 am

If, IF, the SC threw out the conviction and ordered a new trial, could Amanda's lawyers get the venue moved to an EU court of law?
Paolo Micheli stated with regard to Amanda and Raffaele: "We do not need evidence, common sense and logic tell us that they dated each other to commit this crime."
Grayhawker

Postby komponisto » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:21 am

Grayhawker wrote:If, IF, the SC threw out the conviction and ordered a new trial, could Amanda's lawyers get the venue moved to an EU court of law?

No. It would be another round at the Corte di Assise di Appello.
komponisto

Postby Giordano Bruno » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:04 pm

Sarah has posted on FB:-
Congratulations Amanda !!! "Four months after being freed from an Italian prison and cleared of charges that she murdered her roommate, Amanda Knox has sold her memoir for close to $4 million, according to people familiar with the negotiations."

Wonderful news! Well done Amanda!
Giordano Bruno

Postby ScifiTom » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Giordano Bruno wrote:Sarah has posted on FB:-
Congratulations Amanda !!! "Four months after being freed from an Italian prison and cleared of charges that she murdered her roommate, Amanda Knox has sold her memoir for close to $4 million, according to people familiar with the negotiations."

Wonderful news! Well done Amanda!

To Giordano

Lol Giordano and this is wonderful news even that is a lot of money into a rich lucky style!!!

From Tom
TMJ

Anne Hathaway number 1 fan

Free the Innocence 2

Free: Kirstin Lobato Las Vegas NV & Dusty Turner Norfolk VA
ScifiTom

Postby couldbeher » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:59 pm

$4 million! Nice!! I felt savagely gleeful when I heard that. Think I'll buy a copy for myself AND one as a Christmas present to my self-righteous guilter sister :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
couldbeher

Postby kindlekitten » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I wonder how soon we can pre-order?
kindlekitten

Postby sflicker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 pm

This is great news :)
sflicker

Postby Giordano Bruno » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:32 pm

ScifiTom wrote:
To Giordano

Lol Giordano and this is wonderful news even that is a lot of money into a rich lucky style!!!

From Tom
Unfortunately Sarah writes that it will not pay the legal bills because half goes on taxes and there are ongoing trial(s).
Giordano Bruno

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:17 am

I bet Knox's book outsells Nadeau's book.
    “The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Sarah » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 am

Giordano Bruno wrote:Unfortunately Sarah writes that it will not pay the legal bills because half goes on taxes and there are ongoing trial(s).

The comment was really from Chris Mellas. I just pasted his comment.

------------------
Chris Mellas
Half goes to taxes.
After that, she needs money. Then the bills get addressed.
It helps, but it does not completely cover everything. Plus there are legal fees to be paid for ongoing cases in Italy.
-------------------

One thing though is Chris always tries not to let his hopes get too high in case they are dashed.

I'm hopeful the book will pay the bills and if not other things connected to the book. I wish the family all the best.
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby roteoctober » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:26 am

Sarah wrote:
Giordano Bruno wrote:Unfortunately Sarah writes that it will not pay the legal bills because half goes on taxes and there are ongoing trial(s).

------------------
Chris Mellas
Half goes to taxes.
It helps, but it does not completely cover everything. Plus there are legal fees to be paid for ongoing cases in Italy.
-------------------

One thing though is Chris always tries not to let his hopes get too high in case they are dashed.

I'm hopeful the book will pay the bills and if not other things connected to the book. I wish the family all the best.

Half of the sum goes to taxes?

But tax rates in the US aren't lower than in Europe?

I could expect half of it going to taxes in Italy (where we have some of the highest tax rates in the world) but in the US I'd expect less than 30%...
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby Grayhawker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 am

Noted this about help for Amanda writing book:
Burnham said that Knox, who studied creative writing, would work with a collaborator and that her book will cover her life in Perugia leading up to the murder of 21-year-old British student Meredith Kercher, along with an account of the events surrounding the murder. Knox's editor will be Claire Wachtel, whose other authors have included crime novelist Dennis Lehane, journalist Cokie Roberts and U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas.
"Claire has a great track record of working with high-profile figures," Burnham said. "She's a very sensitive, responsive editor who I think can work with someone like Amanda, who's new to the experience."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/02/16/3018363/amanda-knox-has-deal-with-harpercollins.html#storylink=cpy
Grayhawker

Postby Grayhawker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:53 am

Next up: SUE THE CRAP OUT OF THE BRITISH AND ITALIAN MEDIA FOLLOWED BY THE ONLINE HATE/SLANDER SITES!!!!!!
BaHAHAHAHA :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Grayhawker

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 am

To get top dollar is a Wow, just Wow moment.

All I had hoped for is at the very least she got enough to pay back her parents and secure them a retirement. Now there's enough for payback + some.

The book has gotta go after the whole system, the police, judges, Mignini, journalists. I also wanna see pages and pages of thanks to everyone who helped her and what they did.

I want to see her pass judgement on the whole corrupt system that allows this to be done to people.

To quote Oliver Cromwell:

“this is a righteous judgement of god upon these
barbarous wretches, who have imbrued their hands in so much innocent blood....”
The stupid things Ergon says - THE BEST OF NASEER AHMAD: "Curatolo's testimony is one of the bedrock foundations of my beliefs in this case."
MichaelB

Postby Jstanz » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 am

kindlekitten wrote:I wonder how soon we can pre-order?

If you find out would you please post here? I would appreciate very much and I'll do the same.
All my grammar and spelling mistakes are the result of auto-correct. If auto-correct is not used here, I still blame it.
Jstanz

Postby kindlekitten » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 am

Jstanz wrote:
kindlekitten wrote:I wonder how soon we can pre-order?

If you find out would you please post here? I would appreciate very much and I'll do the same.

Indeed! I will! I shall start haunting Amazon!
kindlekitten

Postby Grayhawker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

Well, I guess that pretty much exposes the $1MIL movie rights offer recently as nothing more than a publicity stunt!

They might have thought that any publicity for their company is good publicity but when the result is humiliation, I DON'T THINK SO!
Grayhawker

Postby LarryK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:20 am

I'll pre-order it as soon as I can and read it as soon as I get it.

I hope she includes all she can remember about Meredith (not her death.)
The brain is not configured in a way that makes obedience through logical, language-based propositions possible during distress and suffering. -- James Wilder, "Neurotheology and the Life Model"
LarryK

Postby Grayhawker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:40 am

roteoctober wrote:
Sarah wrote:

------------------
Chris Mellas
Half goes to taxes.
-------------------

I could expect half of it going to taxes in Italy (where we have some of the highest tax rates in the world) but in the US I'd expect less than 30%...

The top rate for federal taxes is 38%(?) then Washington state taxes could be around 6-9% and I suppose she would pay social security on this also?

Now, if they can show legal expenses somehow as a deductible from all of this, they may come out better than 50%.
Grayhawker

Postby sflicker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:03 am

The 4 million may not all be cash. Not sure about book deals but I've read that in record deals the musicians have to use the money from an advance to pay expenses like recording studio fees, and other related fees. Maybe Amanda will have to pay the collorborator a salary. She definately will have to pay her agent.
sflicker

Postby Giordano Bruno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am

sflicker wrote:The 4 million may not all be cash. Not sure about book deals but I've read that in record deals the musicians have to use the money from an advance to pay expenses like recording studio fees, and other related fees. Maybe Amanda will have to pay the collorborator a salary. She definately will have to pay her agent.
I don't know much about tax but those expenses all sound as though they could be tax-deductible. I hope Amanda gets good advice regarding minimizing tax. People with large incomes and large expenses can benefit a lot from various methods. I believe in the UK people who do freelance work can create a 'company' of which they are the sole member with perhaps a nominal 'secretary' and the 'company' gets paid and the taxes are then much less. People in the entertainment industry sometimes relocate to Southern Ireland as their 'residence' so that they pay less tax.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Grayhawker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 am

Link to story in The Telegraph titled "Amanda Knox's trial by autobiography" written by Iain Hollingshead:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9089020/Amanda-Knoxs-trial-by-autobiography.html

Apparently, Meredith Kercher's family is now coming out with a book.
Even Peter Kercher, Meredith’s father, a freelance journalist who has repeatedly spoken with dignity of the pain caused by Knox’s celebrity status – and his dread of Knox selling her story – has signed a deal with Hodder to publish a book next April about his daughter.

Raffaele Sollecito, Knox’s former boyfriend and co-defendant, has recently engaged Andrew Gumbel, a respected British journalist based in America, to ghost his side of the story.

Gumbel denies he’s cashing in on a brutal murder. “I know that, in Raffaele’s case, no day has gone by without him thinking of Meredith and the hell her family has gone through,” he says. “We are not 'cashing in’ on her death, but rather illuminating the way the Italian police and judiciary compounded the tragedy by throwing two young people into prison for no good reason. Their stories – both their stories – deserve to be heard and I believe it is important that they are.”
Grayhawker

Postby RoseMontague » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:29 am

Grayhawker wrote:Link to story in The Telegraph titled "Amanda Knox's trial by autobiography" written by Iain Hollingshead:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9089020/Amanda-Knoxs-trial-by-autobiography.html

Even Peter Kercher, Meredith’s father, a freelance journalist who has repeatedly spoken with dignity of the pain caused by Knox’s celebrity status – and his dread of Knox selling her story – has signed a deal with Hodder to publish a book next April about his daughter.

Raffaele Sollecito, Knox’s former boyfriend and co-defendant, has recently engaged Andrew Gumbel, a respected British journalist based in America, to ghost his side of the story.

Gumbel denies he’s cashing in on a brutal murder. “I know that, in Raffaele’s case, no day has gone by without him thinking of Meredith and the hell her family has gone through,” he says. “We are not 'cashing in’ on her death, but rather illuminating the way the Italian police and judiciary compounded the tragedy by throwing two young people into prison for no good reason. Their stories – both their stories – deserve to be heard and I believe it is important that they are.”

Exactly. It is important. The story needs to be told.
RoseMontague

Postby Giordano Bruno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 am

RoseMontague wrote:
Grayhawker wrote:Link to story in The Telegraph titled "Amanda Knox's trial by autobiography" written by Iain Hollingshead:

Exactly. It is important. The story needs to be told.
So John Kercher's other name must be Peter?
Giordano Bruno

Postby Clive Wismayer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 am

Giordano Bruno wrote:So John Kercher's other name must be Peter?

Strangely, he was referred to as Peter on a radio programme today (BBC radio 5)
Clive Wismayer

Postby Dougm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:23 am

anglolawyer wrote:

One of the things I have noticed in this case is that many members of the media, instead of doing their own research, read other reporter's articles, and quote them verbatim. So mistakes are often repeated as if they are facts.

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby Hans » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 am

anglolawyer wrote:

John Leslie Kercher (from the listing of the parties in the italian pdf of the Hellmann-Zanetti Report)
He [Raffaele] is collateral damage in the unreasonable, irresponsible, and unrelenting scapegoating of the prosecution’s grotesque caricature that is “Foxy Knoxy”
~ Amanda Knox
Hans

Postby Clive Wismayer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:36 am

Dougm wrote:
anglolawyer wrote:

One of the things I have noticed in this case is that many members of the media, instead of doing their own research, read other reporter's articles, and quote them verbatim. So mistakes are often repeated as if they are facts.

That's what probably happened here. Good point Doug.
Clive Wismayer

Postby pmop57 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 am

Dougm wrote:
anglolawyer wrote:

That's normal ! Most have not even their own reporters on the cases. They buy their information (articles) from the great press agencies and then publish them in their own papers. It's because of that information is often unisided. That's why it is so important to support by all means the real investigating journalists, like Frank for exemple. Its only when they have access to the media you can get real information and something can be moved.

So again an warm appeal to all to support Frank and his efforts!
pmop57

Postby Clive Wismayer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:42 am

pmop57 wrote:

That's normal ! Most have not even their own reporters on the cases. They buy their information (articles) from the great press agencies and then publish them in their own papers. It's because of that information is often unisided. That's why it is so important to support by all means the real investigating journalists, like Frank for exemple. Its only when they have access to the media you can get real information and something can be moved.

So again an warm appeal to all to support Frank and his efforts!

Before I forget Pmop, thanks for referring me to that German 'book review'. Glad I had already had my breakfast before I watched it.
Clive Wismayer

Postby Giordano Bruno » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 am

Getting back to finances, I think that Amanda, after the final appeal has gone through, might be able to claim, or even sue the Italian Prosecution services, for legal costs for defending herself against a wrongful, and indeed malicious, prosecution. As well as claiming compensation for wrongful imprisonment.

Here's hoping.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Dougm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59 am

Giordano Bruno wrote:Getting back to finances, I think that Amanda, after the final appeal has gone through, might be able to claim, or even sue the Italian Prosecution services, for legal costs for defending herself against a wrongful, and indeed malicious, prosecution. As well as claiming compensation for wrongful imprisonment.

Here's hoping.

Now that would be a good plan. She might need to have the calunnia conviction overturned first. If not, they can claim that the prosecution resulted in conviction of a crime so she is not due compensation (I can't help but wonder if that is why Hellmann convicted her of that, when his motivation seems to argue the opposite).

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby pmop57 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Dougm wrote:
Giordano Bruno wrote:Getting back to finances, I think that Amanda, after the final appeal has gone through, might be able to claim, or even sue the Italian Prosecution services, for legal costs for defending herself against a wrongful, and indeed malicious, prosecution. As well as claiming compensation for wrongful imprisonment.

Here's hoping.

Now that would be a good plan. She might need to have the calunnia conviction overturned first. If not, they can claim that the prosecution resulted in conviction of a crime so she is not due compensation (I can't help but wonder if that is why Hellmann convicted her of that, when his motivation seems to argue the opposite).

I am strongly convinced that the appeal judgement will be confirmed and the calumnia conviction overturned!
pmop57

Postby kindlekitten » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:35 pm

Grayhawker wrote:

I could expect half of it going to taxes in Italy (where we have some of the highest tax rates in the world) but in the US I'd expect less than 30%...[/quote]
The top rate for federal taxes is 38%(?) then Washington state taxes could be around 6-9% and I suppose she would pay social security on this also?

Now, if they can show legal expenses somehow as a deductible from all of this, they may come out better than 50%.[/quote]

we don't have state taxes here in WA State
kindlekitten

Postby pmop57 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:01 pm

kindlekitten wrote:
Grayhawker wrote:

Now, if they can show legal expenses somehow as a deductible from all of this, they may come out better than 50%.[/quote]

we don't have state taxes here in WA State[/quote]

I think Amanda as the author, writing and living in US, has not to pay taxes on her earnings in Europe.
Her books will be imported to Europe as all other goods. The seller of the books (librairies, ...) will be taxed on their benefits and the buyers of the books will pay the end price of the book including TVA (Tax on supplementary value), which for books (to be promoted) in most EU countries is generally at lover tax level.
So her earnings (honorars, ...) for writing will only be taxed in US. This may be different for direct earnings in EU no directly related to the book selling.
pmop57

Postby LarryK » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:16 am

I'm not a tax expert, but I'm pretty certain that royalty income (assuming that's what it will be) doesn't pay Social Security taxes. So tax-wise, she's only out Federal income tax, along with possibly higher foreign taxes on foreign income. Hopefully she gets some big deductions, and her agent and collaborator won't take a huge amount. She's fortunate to live in a state that won't tax her (in contrast, California would take at least 9.3%, and it may be still more for higher incomes.)

If part of her income is for doing interviews, that may be subject to Social Security as well as regular income tax.
The brain is not configured in a way that makes obedience through logical, language-based propositions possible during distress and suffering. -- James Wilder, "Neurotheology and the Life Model"
LarryK

Postby Grayhawker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:17 am

LarryK wrote:I'm not a tax expert, but I'm pretty certain that royalty income (assuming that's what it will be) doesn't pay Social Security taxes. So tax-wise, she's only out Federal income tax, along with possibly higher foreign taxes on foreign income. Hopefully she gets some big deductions, and her agent and collaborator won't take a huge amount. She's fortunate to live in a state that won't tax her (in contrast, California would take at least 9.3%, and it may be still more for higher incomes.)

If part of her income is for doing interviews, that may be subject to Social Security as well as regular income tax.

Is it Washington or Oregon that doesn't have state income tax?
Is it incorrect to assume she would also have to pay state tax if it exists?

Eitherway, there will be a big chunk going to the FEDs who did almost nothing to help during the trials.
Grayhawker

Postby pmop57 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 am

Grayhawker wrote:
LarryK wrote:I'm not a tax expert, but I'm pretty certain that royalty income (assuming that's what it will be) doesn't pay Social Security taxes. So tax-wise, she's only out Federal income tax, along with possibly higher foreign taxes on foreign income. Hopefully she gets some big deductions, and her agent and collaborator won't take a huge amount. She's fortunate to live in a state that won't tax her (in contrast, California would take at least 9.3%, and it may be still more for higher incomes.)

Eitherway, there will be a big chunk going to the FEDs who did almost nothing to help during the trials.

I am glad for Amanda! And you should not be worried about money! Amanda for sure has good consultancy and the case is far from being over yet!
pmop57

Postby Jstanz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:49 am

I like "THE Definitive Account" as part of Amanda's book title.
All my grammar and spelling mistakes are the result of auto-correct. If auto-correct is not used here, I still blame it.
Jstanz

Postby Norm51 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:55 am

Someone mention movie possibility. I was thinking - who would play Amanda? Well - there are at least two or three maybe more Amandas on any Girls soccer teams. Pick one with Amanda's look - (s) possibly majoring in performing arts - and presto! I think that is why this case garnered so much attention. So many people have an Amanda in their family. I know - I do. I can't wait for the book.
Norm51

Postby kindlekitten » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:08 am

Grayhawker wrote:

Washington. I live here. Oregon doesn't have sales tax. I lived there
kindlekitten

Postby sflicker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:27 am

Does anybody have a guess/estimate how many copies will need to be sold before Amanda starts earning royalties on the book?
sflicker

Postby pmop57 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:33 am

kindlekitten wrote:
Grayhawker wrote:

Washington. I live here. Oregon doesn't have sales tax. I lived there

I love paying tax ! The more I pay the more I have earned !
pmop57

Postby Jstanz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:36 am

[="pmop57"]I love paying tax ! The more I pay the more I have earned ![/quote]

I think you're one in a million!
Jstanz

Postby Jstanz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 am

hmmmm, messed that quote up.
Jstanz

Postby Clive Wismayer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 am

Jstanz wrote:hmmmm, messed that quote up.

Saw what you did there ...
Clive Wismayer

Postby Jstanz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:40 am

anglolawyer wrote:

Not such an ace...... :(
Jstanz

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:46 am

Whoever they get to play Knox, it has to be played like Meryl Streep played Karen Silkwood. Not that they need a 'name' actress but there were times in the film Silkwood that Streep played it as if a minor character simply watching everyone else play out the drama.

The whole point of the film should be that this is not about either Knox or less so about Sollecito.

How does one play a character who is a minor player in the background for the first act?
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby pmop57 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 am

Jstanz wrote:
anglolawyer wrote:

Not such an ace...... :(

Ok! I agree ... all joke h a s its limits! :mrgreen:
pmop57

Postby Giordano Bruno » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Jstanz wrote:I like "THE Definitive Account" as part of Amanda's book title.
Unfortunately, John Follain's book also calls itself 'the definitive account' and he is a well-known guilter.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Jazz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:00 pm

pmop57 wrote:I love paying tax ! The more I pay the more I have earned !

Lol. My tax law prof used to say, "I love paying my taxes. It means that my parents don't have to live with me."

:lol:
Jazz

Postby Jstanz » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Giordano Bruno wrote:
Jstanz wrote:I like "THE Definitive Account" as part of Amanda's book title.
Unfortunately, John Follain's book also calls itself 'the definitive account' and he is a well-known guilter.

Yes, that's why I said it but with a different "The". Because Amanda's would obviously be more definitive.
Jstanz

Postby erasmus44 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:40 pm

I like Nancy Reagan's title - "My Turn" - for Amanda's book.
erasmus44

Postby Giordano Bruno » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 am

erasmus44 wrote:I like Nancy Reagan's title - "My Turn" - for Amanda's book.
I agree. I personally don't like the word 'definitive' for philosophic reasons. I feel that 'definitive' refers to definition. Concepts and mathematics are subject to definition but, imo, the real world and people do not conform, at least not easily, to definitions. Just my two pence worth.

But whatever Amanda likes for the title is good by me. :)
Giordano Bruno

Postby Jstanz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:29 am

Giordano Bruno wrote:
erasmus44 wrote:I like Nancy Reagan's title - "My Turn" - for Amanda's book.
I agree. I personally don't like the word 'definitive' for philosophic reasons. I feel that 'definitive' refers to definition. Concepts and mathematics are subject to definition but, imo, the real world and people do not conform, at least not easily, to definitions. Just my two pence worth.

But whatever Amanda likes for the title is good by me. :)

You're right, Giordano. I was mostly subtly slurring Follain with my title.

erasmus, MY Turn would be an excellent title!
Jstanz

Postby roteoctober » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:51 pm

"Witch Hunt" or "Witch Trial" wouldn't be bad, but I also stand by the title I proposed months ago: "A Perugian vacation". :D
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby Didaktylos » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:20 pm

My suggestion: "Innocence is no defense".
Come together, raise up your voices
This time my song of love and life won't go away
I'll sing forever here in the sunshine
I've lived to see the sun break through the storm
And I'm so glad I'm standing here today
Didaktylos

Postby roteoctober » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:43 pm

Didaktylos wrote:My suggestion: "Innocence is no defense".

Good one.
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby sept79 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Didaktylos wrote:My suggestion: "Innocence is no defense".

Ditto
sept79

Postby Giordano Bruno » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:20 pm

'My Turn', 'Innocence is No Defence', 'Witch Trial', 'Witch Hunt', 'Vacation in Perugia':- I think they are all wonderful titles.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Clive Wismayer » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:32 pm

This is a good game. I offer:

'Case open' or
'Case closed'
Clive Wismayer

Postby LarryK » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 am

Some good suggestions...How about "An Innocent Abroad", taken from Timothy Egan's NY Times article on the case in June 2009, alluding to Mark Twain's "Innocents Abroad", which (as I have heard, I haven't read it) is a European travelogue showing how naive Americans can get into trouble if they don't understand the cultural differences of the countries they are visiting.
LarryK

Postby Sarah » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 am

anglolawyer wrote:This is a good game. I offer:

'Case open' or
'Case closed'

Except in Italian! caso chiuso
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby geebee2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:48 am

Maybe "They don't know me" or something alluding to that.
geebee2

Postby Clive Wismayer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:54 am

Sarah wrote:
anglolawyer wrote:This is a good game. I offer:

'Case open' or
'Case closed'

Except in Italian! caso chiuso

If it's in Italian, it could also be 'vada a bordo, cazzo!' (not really relevant but my all time favourite foreign expression, which I now use daily :lol: ).
Clive Wismayer

Postby Dougm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:20 am

A few titles come to mind. How about:

* Saved by love
* Never Alone
* I'm not that girl
* I can only be me
* Love conquers all

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby roteoctober » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:44 am

I suggest to organize a poll for the best title.

Anyway my three (EDIT total updated) latest proposals:

- "The Prisoner"

- "In the Land of Deception"

- "In the Land of NeverTruth" :lol:
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby Teddy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:49 am

"The Real Foxy Knoxy" ;)
"My Perugian Nightmare"

or sometimes, it's good to use a single hard-hitting word that describes what happened, such as:
"BETRAYED"
Amanda Knox: "According to Mignini, we found Meredith at the villa and said, Hey, that stupid bitch. Let’s show Meredith. Let’s get her to play a sex game. I was horrified. Who thinks like that?".... indeed, who thinks like that?
Teddy

Postby Teddy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:50 am

roteoctober wrote:I suggest to organize a poll for the best title.

Anyway my two latest proposals:

- "The Prisoner"

You can't count. :lol:
Amanda Knox: "According to Mignini, we found Meredith at the villa and said, Hey, that stupid bitch. Let’s show Meredith. Let’s get her to play a sex game. I was horrified. Who thinks like that?".... indeed, who thinks like that?
Teddy

Postby roteoctober » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:55 am

Teddy wrote:
roteoctober wrote:I suggest to organize a poll for the best title.

Anyway my two latest proposals:

- "The Prisoner"

You can't count. :lol:

Yeah, I added one and didn't correct the total....I'm going to modify the original post. ;)
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby roteoctober » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:16 am

I've just had an inspiration, an epiphany:

"See You Later"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
roteoctober
Tech Director

Postby geebee2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:14 am

What did Amanda say right at the end of her final appeal speech?

It sounds something like "majesdeet" and I think it means "do justice".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VCAQabpPOU

I think something like that might be good.
geebee2

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:54 am

Teddy wrote:"The Real Foxy Knoxy" ;)
"My Perugian Nightmare"

or sometimes, it's good to use a single hard-hitting word that describes what happened, such as:
"BETRAYED"

"Where's a cop when you need one?"
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Jstanz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:56 am

Bill Williams wrote:
Teddy wrote:"The Real Foxy Knoxy" ;)
"My Perugian Nightmare"

"BETRAYED"

"Where's a cop when you need one?"

LOL
Jstanz

Postby Teddy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:12 am

geebee2 wrote:What did Amanda say right at the end of her final appeal speech?

"la giustizia" = "justice"
geebee, did you not notice the subtitles? :lol:
Teddy

Postby MustBeQuantum » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:36 am

"Purgatorio"
MustBeQuantum

Postby Dougm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:10 am

roteoctober wrote:I've just had an inspiration, an epiphany:

"See You Later"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought of that too, but it also seemed like a joke!

When I was a teenager, and we wanted to blow someone off, we said "Later! Much!" So how about "Later, Perugia"?

Amanda Knox
Dougm

Postby Jstanz » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 am

Teddy wrote:

I didn't see any subtitles when I watched it!
Jstanz

Postby Grayhawker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:28 am

Raffaele's co-writer was quoted today as saying this:
Not only will the book leave no doubt about Raffaele’s innocence; everything Raffaele and his family have to tell, backed by previously unpublished documents in the case, suggests that his incarceration had almost nothing to do with the actual evidence but had another motivation entirely — to be revealed when the book comes out.
Might one of the IIP's own pet theories prove true?!?!!!! It was a conspiracy after all!!!! YES!!!!
Grayhawker

Postby Clive Wismayer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

Grayhawker wrote:Raffaele's co-writer was quoted today as saying this:
Not only will the book leave no doubt about Raffaele’s innocence; everything Raffaele and his family have to tell, backed by previously unpublished documents in the case, suggests that his incarceration had almost nothing to do with the actual evidence but had another motivation entirely — to be revealed when the book comes out.
Might one of the IIP's own pet theories prove true?!?!!!! It was a conspiracy after all!!!! YES!!!!

Who could you possibly be referring to :?: :?:
Clive Wismayer

Postby Giordano Bruno » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

'Twenty Six Years for Eating a Pizza'.
Giordano Bruno

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:55 pm

Giordano Bruno wrote:'Twenty Six Years for Eating a Pizza'.

"That's the last time I book with Priceline!"

"Other than that, I really enjoyed Italy."
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Giordano Bruno » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Bill Williams wrote:
Giordano Bruno wrote:'Twenty Six Years for Eating a Pizza'.

"That's the last time I book with Priceline!"

"Other than that, I really enjoyed Italy."
:D
Giordano Bruno

Postby Teddy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Jstanz wrote:
Teddy wrote:

I didn't see any subtitles when I watched it!

That's odd, when I click on that link it definitely does show subtitles, and the title of the video is "Amanda Knox's complete appeal speech + English Subtitles". :?
Teddy

Next

Return to Injustice in Perugia Forum