Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Sarah » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:19 am

Information sent by Jamie Snow supporter:
------------

Jaime is being represented by the University of Chicago's Exoneration Project. Links to documentation for the items below can be found at: http://www.FreeJamieSnow.com. Just scroll down.


In 2001, Jamie Snow was wrongfully convicted for the 1991 murder of a gas station attendant during an apparent robbery at the Clark Super 100 Station located at 802 E. Empire St. in Bloomington, Illinois.

This violent and senseless crime occurred in Bloomington, Illinois on Easter Sunday 1991. The murderer walked away with a total of $30, as Jamie Snow ate dinner with his children. The tragedy was compounded when, after several years without a clear suspect, Jamie Snow was arrested and improperly charged by police and prosecutors willing to convict him by any means necessary, even after passing a polygraph exam.

The conviction was only possible using testimony of unreliable witnesses, many who had their own legal issues, people easily coerced into accepting deals, some more than willing to give false testimony. A plethora of jailhouse informants claimed that Snow “confessed” to them while awaiting trial. Many of which have now recanted their testimonies in sworn affidavits. There has never been any physical evidence tying Jamie Snow to this case. Information has also come forward that at least one jury member knew Jamie Snow and did not inform the court of same.

Jamie has spent the last 12 years in prison fighting to present new evidence demonstrating his innocence. The original trial violated his constitutional rights in several ways, many which stem from a lack of representation by his public defender, who presented little to no defense. Not surprisingly, this attorney has since been disbarred, yet Jamie's conviction remains. With an over-zealous prosecution and no proper defense, Snow had no more chance at trial than William Little did when faced with an armed gunman.

The Prosecution relied on one “star witness” who provided critical eye-witness identification. Yet this same witness was UNABLE to identify Snow in photo books or during a line-up which occurred soon after the crime. It wasn't until 1999, 8 years later and AFTER Snow's arrest, that the "star witness" identified Snow upon seeing his photograph in a local newspaper. Only at the trial, 10 years after the fact, did the "star witness" speak of Snow's "eyes" being "unforgettable," yet he had seen Jamie in numerous close up photos and the in person line-up not long after the incident occurred.

Approximately 4 years after conviction police radio tapes disclosed to Snow that "star witness" could NOT have seen what he testified to seeing.

Jamie has always maintained his innocence, and continues to do so.

=====================THE FACTS=====================

Jamie Snow's CODEFENDANT was found NOT GUILTY in a previous trial based on the same evidence. She testified FOR Jamie in his own trial.

Jamie Snow PASSED a POLYGRAPH exam before arrest because HE DID NOT COMMIT THIS CRIME. The state sent the polygraphs of two jailhouse informants that testified against Jamie at trial, but they omitted the results.

There is NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE linking Jamie Snow to this tragic crime, however there IS PHYSICAL EVIDENCE in the form of blood, bullets and fingerprints - all motions for testing with current technology have been thus far DENIED.

The prosecution's "star witness" Danny Martinez FAILED to identify Jamie during an in-person line up shortly after the crime, and numerous photo books over the years in which his picture was included. In fact, the DAY AFTER THE CRIME, he identified these two suspects stating, "It's between these two.". He did NOT identify Jamie until nearly 10 YEARS LATER in a private meeting at the state's attorney's office.

The composite and description released to the public CHANGED SUBSTANTIALLY over the years to better fit Jamie's description (no earring in left ear and no chin scar). In December 1993, when the composite was changed, Police Spokesman Ogg expressed concern, saying the FBI teaches police to stick to one composite drawing during a homicide investigation, and Bloomington police followed that guideline until yesterday. He said releasing the second composite drawing was like putting "the second-string offense" into a game when the first-string doesn't get the job done.

This LIFE SENTENCE was also based on unreliable witness testimony from "jailhouse informants" receiving deals for lighter sentences

Even the first police officer on the scene has submitted a sworn affidavit DISPUTING the "star witness testimony

More than 15 WITNESSES for the prosecution have RECANTED THEIR TESTIMONY in sworn affidavits

The public defender assigned by the State to Jamie's case has since been DISBARRED. The Honorable Judge Knecht addresses the issue here.
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Eye Witness ID Issue

Postby tam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 am

There is no DNA and no murder weapon in this case. It was based primarily on one Star Witness that only ID'd Jamie approximately 9 years later. Prior to this identification, he failed to ID Jamie four times (3 photo line ups and 1 physical line up). He only ID'd him in a private meeting at the state's attorney's office 9 years later from a picture of the original line up, which he attended shortly after the crime and failed to ID him.

There were also two other witnesses. The primary witness never ID'd Jamie and the other was a 14 year old boy who has since recanted his identification. You can read an overview of the entire witness ID issue here: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/IDWITNESSISSUE.pdf- there are links to the relevant police reports and statements in that document.

An additional related issue is the composites that were released. The composite and description released to the public CHANGED SUBSTANTIALLY over the years to better fit Jamie's description (no earring in left ear and no chin scar). In December 1993, when the composite was changed, Police Spokesman Ogg expressed concern, saying the FBI teaches police to stick to one composite drawing during a homicide investigation, and Bloomington police followed that guideline until yesterday. He said releasing the second composite drawing was like putting "the second-string offense" into a game when the first-string doesn't get the job done. The composites are here, along with the relevant newspaper blurbs over time. http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/summary_compositesarticles.pdf
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Ineffective Counsel

Postby tam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 am

Jamie's trial lawyer, Frank Picl, was disbarred and sent to prison in 2006 for bilking an elderly woman of over $200,000 (her life savings) while she was in a nursing home. He had power of attorney over her, and used the money to support his gambling addiction. She died penniless. He was also disbarred for failing to file a timely postconviction petition for a client. Jamie had always claimed that he was ineffective, that he was drinking during trial, and did not interview witnesses. Jamie's co-defendant was acquitted in a previous trial based on the same evidence, e.g., they had to prove that Jamie did it in order for her to be found guilty. She had a really good lawyer, and Jamie's lawyer was paid by the state to sit in on that trial. However, he did not use critical evidence that was presented in his co-defendants trial. In 2006, during Picl's own sentencing hearing he went on and on about his addictions and problems (mental illness, alcoholism, gambling), and had experts testify to that. And that it was all PRIOR to Jamie's trial.

In a recent appellate court hearing, Judge Knecht addressed this issue in open court. It was the first time in 12 years someone had taken notice. Still, in the denial, it was not mentioned. They ruled the issue res judicata, and stated counsel did not effectively argue the points in the brief. Here is the 4 minute segment in which Judge Knecht confirmed this issue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvIqDmWjxcs

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvIqDmWjxcs[/youtube]
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Polygraphs

Postby tam » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 am

In 1994, Jamie agreed to take a polygraph on this case and passed it:
http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_Snow.pdf

We have obtained the polygraphs from two jailhouse informants who testified against Jamie, but the state omitted the results. Crazy, huh? I currently have a FOIA request in for all polygraphs related to this case. Maybe we'll have some luck there.

Informant 1 Polygraph: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_Roland.pdf
Informant 2 Polygraph: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_SScheel.pdf
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby Sarah » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Tam. :)

Thanks for providing so much information. Hopefully forum members will find time to take a look at the case.
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby tam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks Sarah. I really appreciate your starting the thread. There's more info, so I'll just keep posting as I can. Please let me know if I overdo it! :)
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby Christine Bivens » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:26 am

Eyewitness testimony is supposed to be weighed. Did the witness give a good and ample description of the suspect and make an immediate ID? With each passing day memory becomes more unreliable and can be filled in with "facts" that were not what was seen at the time but from a host of other places. It would be helpful to know who received the reward money in this case too.
Christine Bivens
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby tam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks Christine. We still haven't found out what happened to the $12,000 reward. I have a FOIA request in for that information. Here's some info about the Martinez ID:

The star witness, Danny Martinez identified Snow about 8 years after the crime. After he had been presented with Snow's picture numerous times. We know through testimony in at least 2 of these photo sessions there were multiple pictures of Jamie.

04/01/91 - Photo book - the day after the crime, in which he did not pick Snow, but picked two others and stated "it's between these two."
Police Report: http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/PR_MartinezID1.pdf
Pictures of who he picked: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/betweenthesetwo.jpg

06/21/91 - In person lineup - in which Snow participated (#6), Martinez asked for #'3 and #4 to move forward, and said that '#3 looked like the person, but was not positive.'
Police Report: http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/PR_linup062191.pdf
(Have a FOIA request for photo arrays)

10/22/91 - Photo book , again, he did not pick Snow, but picked two others.
Police Report: http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/PR_MartinezID2.pdf
(Have a FOIA request for photo arrays)

11/03/93 - Photo books in which he did not pick anyone.
http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/PR_MartinezID3.pdf
(Have a FOIA request for photo arrays)

It's notable that in 1999, the Martinez was interviewed again. In that interview, the name "Jamie Snow" was mentioned 5 times within 8 questions. Also, the detective admitted giving the victim's mother Martinez' telephone number.
Martinez 1999 interview: http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/INT_Martinez030499.pdf

Excerpt from the 1999 interview:

Martinez: "And another thing I wanted to say is that I don't know who called Mrs. Little to have her call me I mean that was I mean, I mean I know that her son was involved and uh I know Easter's comin around the corner and she's goin through a hard time right now I mean coulda returned your phone call towards me and you know mentioned something to me... "

Detective Barcus: "And I, and I, and I did and I tried doin that and I'll have to take responsibility for that and I'll explain to you a little bit later about what transpired there, but I did remember somethin I wanna talk to you about. I wanna show you 3 drawings and what I would like you to do is look at these 3 drawings and tell me if you had to pick 1 of these 3 drawings as being the person you saw now granted 2 of 'em have some kind of a hat on and 1 of 'em doesn't, but if you had to pick which l would you say, this is the person I saw?" (this has NEVER been explained.)
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

News Coverage

Postby tam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:10 am

NEWS CLIP: State Supreme Court Not Taking Snow Case: June 13, 2012
BLOOMINGTON-A Bloomington family isn't giving up hope despite a State Supreme Court ruling. http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext?nxd_id=252472 (WMBD)

-----------

Ill. Supreme Court won’t take Snow case: June 13, 2012
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Supreme Court won’t take the case of a Bloomington man serving a life sentence for a 1991 murder. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/ill-supreme-court-wont-take-snow-case/

-----------

NEWS CLIP: Court case of Jamie Snow rejected by Illinois Supreme Court: Jun 13, 2012
The Illinois Supreme Court has decided not to hear the case of Jamie Snow.
http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Cou ... 95885.html (WEEK)

-----------

Supreme Court declines to hear Snow's case: June 07, 2012
SPRINGFIELD — The Illinois Supreme Court will not consider the case of a Bloomington man who claims he is innocent of the 1993 murder of a Bloomington gas station attendant. (The Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 963f4.html

-----------

Supreme Court filing: Stay away from Snow case: May 2012
By Ryan Denham 4 weeks ago SPRINGFIELD – Prosecutors are asking in a new filing that the Illinois Supreme Court to stay away from a 1991 Bloomington murder case. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/supreme-court-filing-st ... snow-case/

-----------

Prosecutors urge Supreme Court not to hear Snow case: May 22, 2012
BLOOMINGTON — A Bloomington man serving life in prison for the 1991 murder of a gas station attendant should not have the chance to bring his case to the Illinois Supreme Court, prosecutors argued in a recent court filing. (The Pantagraph)

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... f887a.html

-----------

Supporters of man convicted of murder push to reopen case: May 2, 2012

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. -- Supporters of a man convicted of murder are asking McLean County authorities to reopen the case. (WEEK)
http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/in- ... 48405.html

-----------

Snow supporters use billboard to get new trial: May 1, 2012
BLOOMINGTON - Jamie Snow supporters have tried to get a new trial for the convicted killer through police and the courts, and now they are taking their appeal to the public. Snow supporters have rented a billboard at Veterans Parkway and Eastland Drive in Bloomington which posts a tip-line for the public to call with information about the 1991 murder. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/snow-supporters-use-bil ... new-trial/

-----------

NEWS CLIP: New Billboard Aims to Prove Snow's Innocence: May 1, 2012
BLOOMINGTON--A brand new billboard is encouraging people to help a convicted murderer prove he didn't do the crime. The sign supports Jamie Snow, who is serving a life sentence in prison for the 1991 murder of gas station attendant Bill Little. (WMBD)
http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=243122

-----------

Snow appeals to Illinois highest court: April 17, 2012
SPRINGFIELD -- The Committee to Free Jamie Snow (CFJS) announced today that a petition was filed last week with the Illinois Supreme Court requesting leave to appeal the Fourth District's Appellate Court decision denying Snow a hearing to present new evidence in the 2000 murder conviction of a gas station attendant during an apparent armed robbery. (CFJS - Press Release)
http://freejamiesnow.com/pr_scappeal.htm

-----------

Snow asks Illinois Supreme Court to take case: April 18, 2012
SPRINGFIELD – Attorneys for convicted murderer Jamie Snow have asked the Illinois Supreme Court to take his case, arguing that an appellate wrongly tossed out his attempt for a new hearing and ballistics testing. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/jamie-snow-asks-illinoi ... take-case/

-----------

Convicted murderer appeals to Illinois Supreme Court: April 18, 2012
SPRINGFIELD— Attorneys for Jamie Snow argue an appellate court wrongly rejected his request for a new hearing and ballistics testing. Snow is serving a life sentence in a Joliet prison. He was convicted in 1991 in the death of gas station attendant Billy Little. (State-Journal Register)
http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x178327597 ... reme-Court

-----------

Dozier returns to familiar territory at state's attorney's office: March 21, 2012
BLOOMINGTON — Retired judge Ron Dozier returned to work in the Law and Justice Center in December — this time assuming his former role as McLean County state’s attorney. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/special-secti ... 963f4.html

-----------

Snow’s defense plots next legal move: January 12, 2012
SPRINGFIELD – A panel of judges has denied convicted murderer Jamie Snow’s challenge of a lower court’s ruling that rejected his bid for a new trial in a 1991 Bloomington homicide. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/court-denies-snows-appe ... 91-murder/

-----------

Court denies B-N man's appeal of murder conviction: January 12, 2012
SPRINGFIELD -- The 4th District Appellate Court has denied a Bloomington man's appeal of his 2001 murder conviction. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 963f4.html

-----------

NEWS CLIP: Witnesses Recant Statements in Snow Murder Trial: Dec 7, 2011
Ten years after being convicted of murder Jamie Snow's lawyer says witnesses are changing their stories.
http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Wit ... 21458.html (WEEK)

-----------

Attorney: New evidence could reverse Snow's murder conviction: December 7, 2011
SPRINGFIELD — A parade of witnesses who testified against Jamie Snow at his 2001 murder trial have recanted, creating a pool of new evidence that could reverse Snow’s murder conviction. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 963f4.html

-----------

Judges in Snow appeal eye testimony, defense team: December 7, 2011
SPRINGFIELD – A three-judge panel hearing convicted murderer Jamie Snow’s appeal honed in Wednesday on allegations that one of his attorneys during his 2001 trial was drunk on the job but questioned whether recanted testimony from witnesses was really new evidence. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/judges-in-snow-appeal-e ... ense-team/

-----------

Decade later, Snow’s fight continues: November 28, 2011
JOLIET – Jamie Snow claims the criminal justice system failed him 10 years ago, that police and prosecutors used unfair tactics, that witnesses lied or mistakenly identified him, and that his own attorneys bungled his defense and couldn’t stop him from being convicted of a murder he didn’t commit. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/decade-later-snows-fight-continues/

-----------

Appellate court to hear Jamie Snow new yrial request: November, 2011
SPRINGFIELD – An Illinois appeals court will take up Jamie Snow’s request for a new trial in December. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/illinois-appellate-cour ... l-request/

-----------

Why Eyewitness Testimony Should Rarely Be Used To Convict Anyone: September 14, 2011
Jamie's case is used as an example in this article on richardwanke.com. (Richard Wanke)
http://richardwanke.com/2011/09/14/why- ... ct-anyone/

-----------

Inmate appeals denial of new trial in 1991 central Illinois killing: September 13, 2011
BLOOMINGTON — Lawyers for a man convicted of murder in a 1991 central Illinois killing have appealed a judge's decision denying him a new trial. The attorneys say a key piece of their argument will come from a former Bloomington police officer now in prison. (PJStar)
http://www.pjstar.com/free/x519372313/I ... is-killing

-----------

Snow's lawyers want Pelo to testify in appeal: September 12, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- Serious doubts about the credibility of eyewitness testimony and jailhouse informants are among the reasons Jamie Snow deserves a new trial on the murder charges that sent him to prison for life, according to an appeal filed by defense lawyers. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... z1YUgUL2On

-----------

Jamie Snow supporter files FOIA for mug shots and reward money information: September 7, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- The Committee to Free Jamie Snow (CFJS) announced today that a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request has been submitted to McLean County and the City of Bloomington for materials related to the investigation of the 1991 murder of gas station attendant William Little. (CFJS - Press Release)
http://freejamiesnow.com/pr_foia.htm

-----------

NEWS CLIP: Postcards in the Park: Shows Support For Convicted Murderer: July 31, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- Tammy Alexander isn't related to Jamie Snow, she's not a family friend, and she doesn't even live in Illinois. (Note: Includes newsclip from event) (Central Illinois Proud)
http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=191237

-----------

Friends Gather to Show Support: July 31, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- Supporters of a man convicted for murder gathered at Miller Park in Bloomington to help him in his claim of innocence. (Central Illinois Proud)
http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Fri ... 90873.html

-----------

Jamie Snow supporters to rally in Bloomington this weekend: July 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- Friends and family of Jamie Snow are meeting in Miller Park Sunday for ‘Postcards in the Park.’ (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/jamie-snow-supporters-t ... s-weekend/

-----------

Judge denies Snow's petition for new trial in 1991 murder: April 27, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- A judge has turned down the petition of a Bloomington man seeking a new trial on murder charges in the 1991 shooting death of a gas station clerk. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... z1SWC8B5lq

-----------

Convicted killer's attorney wants ballistics tests: March 17, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- Attorneys for convicted murderer Jamie Snow are asking that the state conduct ballistics tests on two bullets found at the scene of the 1991 robbery where a gas station clerk was killed. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html

-----------

Convicted murderer seeks review of evidence: March 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- Attorneys representing a man convicted of murdering a gas station clerk in Bloomington would like the court to consider additional evidence. (WJBC)
http://wjbc.com/convicted-murderer-seek ... -evidence/

-----------

Ballistics database search could free Illinois man serving life sentence for murder: March 16, 2011
BLOOMINGTON -- The Committee to Free Jamie Snow (CFJS) announced today that a motion has been filed asking the McLean County Circuit Court to order a ballistics test that could prove the bullets found in a crime committed in 1991 are linked to a crime committed by another perpetrator. (CFJS - Press Release)
http://freejamiesnow.com/pr_ballistics.htm

-----------

Judge considers request to add evidence in Snow case: November 5, 2010
BLOOMINGTON -- A judge has taken under consideration a request by convicted murderer Jamie Snow to add two new pieces of evidence to his petition requesting a new trial. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html

-----------

Snow to bring new evidence to hearing: September 29, 2010
BLOOMINGTON — A Bloomington man serving a life sentence for a murder he claims he did not commit will bring two new pieces of evidence to the courtroom Nov. 5 when he returns to request a hearing on his request for a new trial. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html

-----------

Judge appointed to hear Snow's request for new trial: June 14, 2010
BLOOMINGTON -- A Schuyler County judge has been appointed to hear Jamie Snow's request for a new trial on murder charges. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html

-----------

Judge removes himself from hearings involving Snow case: April 26, 2010
BLOOMINGTON -- McLean County Judge Paul Lawrence has removed himself from future hearings in the 1999 murder case involving Jamie Snow, citing a potential conflict of interest with the anticipated testimony of another judge who served as a prosecutor. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 03286.html

-----------

Jamie Snow wants change of venue for retrial request: February 16, 2010
BLOOMINGTON -- A Bloomington man serving life in prison for a murder he claims he did not commit has asked that a judge outside the 11th Judicial Circuit hear his case, starting with his request for a new trial. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html

-----------

Jamie Snow alleges overzealous cops, false testimony: February 4, 2010
BLOOMINGTON -- Bloomington police officers looking to build their careers by cinching an 8-year-old murder case and false testimony from witnesses who received help with pending criminal cases were among the reasons cited by Jamie Snow in his request for a new trial on murder charges. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 002e0.html

-----------

Snow's bid for new trial slowed by DNA testing delays: September 1, 2009
BLOOMINGTON -- Jamie Snow will have to wait at least two more months before he knows the results of DNA testing on blood from the scene of a 1991 murder for which he was convicted. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/ar ... 002e0.html

-----------

Pelo has offered to help convicted killer obtain a new trial: April 1, 2009
BLOOMINGTON - A former Bloomington police sergeant accused of rape has offered to assist Jamie Snow, the Bloomington man convicted of killing a service station worker in 1991, with his efforts to obtain a new trial. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/cr ... 7fe62.html

-----------

Snow's defense wants just blood tested in push for new murder trial: Thursday, March 12, 2009
BLOOMINGTON - The defense team for Jamie Snow, who was convicted of the 1991 murder of William Little but is seeking a new trial, asked the court Thursday to allow a narrower DNA testing than previously requested. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... dc6ff.html

-----------

Defense waiting on DNA expert in effort to get Jamie Snow new trial: January 16, 2009
BLOOMINGTON - The defense team for convicted murderer Jamie Snow is waiting for an expert's opinion on DNA testing of evidence introduced at Snow's 2001 trial for the killing of William Little. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... 1b476.html

-----------

Snow's lawyer wary of DNA testing restrictions in bid for new trial: November 7, 2008
BLOOMINGTON - The Illinois State Police crime lab has agreed to perform DNA tests on evidence stored since 1999 in the murder case of Jamie Snow, but Snow's defense has concerns about limitations the state wants to impose on its examination. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... 9512c.html

-----------

Jamie Snow is featured on TruthinJustice.org: Innocent Imprisoned: August 15, 2008
Jamie Snow returns to court in fight for new trial in '91 murder (Truth in Justice)
http://truthinjustice.org/jamie-snow.htm

-----------

Snow's attorney seeks DNA tests at state lab: September 29, 2008
BLOOMINGTON - Attorneys for convicted murderer Jamie Snow want the state crime lab to perform DNA tests on several pieces of evidence, a request prosecutors said could burden an already backlogged state facility. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... f1dba.html

-----------

Snow lawyer asks for DNA testing on blood, bullets: September 5, 2008
BLOOMINGTON - An attorney for convicted murderer Jamie Snow is asking that DNA testing be conducted on blood, fingerprints and bullets found at the scene of a 1991 robbery in Bloomington. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... b8a9a.html

-----------

Snow's attorney to request new DNA testing: August 19, 2008
BLOOMINGTON - New DNA testing will be requested by attorneys for Jamie Snow, the former Bloomington man convicted of killing Bill Little almost 20 years ago, Snow's attorney said in a hearing Monday. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... 96fe7.html

-----------

Jamie Snow returns to court in fight for new trial in '91 murder: August 16, 2008
BLOOMINGTON - Jamie Snow is looking for a second chance to convince a jury that he didn't kill an 18-year-old Bloomington gas station clerk in 1991. (Pantagraph)
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ ... 31248.html
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Interviews with Jamie about the case

Postby tam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:18 am

May 2012: The Other Side of Justice: The Jamie Snow Case: May 23, 2012
An interview with supporter Tammy Alexander about the Jamie Snow case with Vincent Hill, a former Nashville police officer and licensed private investigator. Vincent was the first to speak out publicly regarding the faulty investigation of Nashville Police concerning the murder of NFL great Steve McNair. Vincent has appeared on such shows as Dateline NBC, Open Line Live, ESPN and countless radio talk shows.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/the-other-side-of-justice/2012/05/23/the-jamie-snow-case

November 2011: WJBC interview Jamie in person at Stateville Prison. The video are excerpts, there is more of the interview in the audio at the bottom of the page.
http://wjbc.com/decade-later-snows-fight-continues/

August 2008: Jamie Snow talks with a reporter from the Pantagraph via telephone from Stateville Prison.
http://videos.pantagraph.com/p/video?id=2083138
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby Dougm » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:25 am

Tam -- I haven't read all of the info about this case, but from what I have read, I have been having a hard time figuring out the basic, "what happened"? From reading what I have so far about this case, I get the impression that the cops in Bloomington wanted to "get" Jamie, and the premise is that they coerced witnesses into indentifying him and also to testify that he confessed to them. So why did they want to get Jamie so bad? What was their issue with him?

Thanks!
When you berate someone and push them and confuse them and lie to them and convince them that they're wrong you're not finding the truth.

Amanda Knox
Dougm
Moderator
 
Posts: 3189
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:00 pm

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby tam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 am

We can only speculate (and I hate speculation), but I think it was much more about solving a cold case than it was about targeting Jamie. No doubt, Jamie was an easy target - he was no choir boy, but then many of those who have been wrongfully convicted have been in trouble before. If you watched the movie "Conviction" that guy was very much like Jamie. The lead detective that had been on the case since 1991 - a seasoned detective, and the one Jamie took the polygraph for - retired around 1998. Two rookie detectives took over the case at that time, and that's when the informants came to light, etc. One of the detectives in this case was found later by a higher court to have paid a witness to testify. That case was overturned. We do know there was tremendous pressure by the victim's family to solve the case. Particularly the mother, who never gave up (not that she should have). Ultimately, when we look at the facts and the evidence, it really doesn't matter "why." The evidence simply is not there. I hope that answers your question :)
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby Bton » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 am

I grew up in Bloomington, but had moved away several years before this happened. Moved back the year after. It was a terrible, terrible thing and I recall the Pantagraph, in its usual journalistic excellence, was all OVER it. I think people were afraid there was this crazed killer out there and who was going to be next. I guess I keep asking myself - what influence did the Little family have on the police dept? As far as I know, they weren't particularly politically connected to the city or the large businesses in town. Why were they able to exert such pressure on the PA office. Was it that or just a fear generating by publicity and that was the pressure for the police dept to solve the crime.

Also, I know it's been said Jamie was no choir boy (who among us is perfect) but something lead the police to him. And why him and not the other 25 young men of the same approximate build/look?

And, why are the police/prosecutor's office so against having this case re-opened??

I don't really expect answers - just some thoughts I have as I continually look at this case. It bothers me that this is not the first time this type of conviction has occurred here.
Bton
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:15 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby tam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Very interesting questions. The Little family was putting public pressure to solve the crime all along - why did the case suddenly get solved when two rookie detectives took over after the original detective on the case retired? Aside from the jailhouse snitches who testified that he "confessed" to them, they had an eyewitness who failed to ID him at least 4 times over nearly a decade. Why did they release a completely different composite several years after the crime? Why won't they honor my FOIA requests? Why won't they test the blood, fingerprints, and bullets from the crime scene? Why won't they tell us what happened to the reward money?

I do know this for a fact, Charles Reynard (the SA who prosecuted Jamie) got a judgeship the year after Jamie's conviction. The same SA that prosecuted Alan Beaman whose case was overturned in 2008, and it's recently been ruled that Beaman can name Reynard in a lawsuit because they withheld evidence in his trial. Which also brings up the question, why did they go after Alan Beaman instead of the others who had a relationship with the victim in his case? Why did they ignore them and go so far as to hide evidence of alternative suspects? Why didn't they ever test the DNA in Beaman's case? Why didn't they open that case? It could have been resolved years ago, yet he spent over a decade in prison just fighting to be heard.
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby Sarah » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 am

There is discussion about possibly making this case one of IA's profiled cases.

This is a new section for cases we are supporting as innocent or support further DNA testing on, but that IA members are not actively working on. http://www.injustice-anywhere.org/ProfiledCases.html

Could we please get some members to dig into this case a bit and see if they do support the innocence of Jamie Snow?

Thanks, Sarah
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Jamie Snow

Postby tam » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks Sarah. The links and info below may help you get started. If you would like more documentation or have questions, I'm happy to answer or get the answer for you.

Case Summary:
http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/JamieSnow_WC.pdf

ID Witness Issue: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/IDWITNESSISSUE.pdf

Composite Issue:
http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/summary_compositesarticles.pdf

We have fingerprints, blood, and bullets that have not been tested. The items that were tested 12 years ago did not match Jamie. There is NO physical evidence linking him to this crime, and he was not present when the crime occurred. He was at home with his family.

WEEK TV coverage of 2nd Annual Postcards in the Park. http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Supporters-of-convicted-felon-want-a-new-trial-for-1991-murder-163355136.html

WMBD coverage - Jason Chambers responds. There IS new evidence! Very disappointed Nicole Snow's interview wasn't used. It was excellent. http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=262302
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Overzealous Detectives and Ineffective Counsel to Blame for Wrongful Conviction of Jamie Snow

"Jamie Snow has proclaimed his innocence from day one.‭ ‬He told police he was nowhere near the scene of the crime at the time of Little‭’‬s murder.‭ ‬According to Snow,‭ ‬he was across town having dinner with his children.‭ ‬In the years following Snow‭’‬s conviction,‭ ‬new information has come to light that strongly suggests the wrong man was sent to prison for Little‭’‬s murder, as a result of police misconduct and bad lawyering."

http://www.groundreport.com/Business/Jamie-Snow-Is-The-Victim-of-WrongFul-Conviction/2953594

There is a new section on Injustice-Anywhere.org for this case: http://www.injustice-anywhere.org/JamieSnow.html
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Plea to Erin Moriarty from Jamie Snow Supporters

Watch this video to see me standing there like a statue as my wife looks calm cool and collected. :)

Watch on youtube.com


No, my son does not tower over me, it's just a bad camera angle! :)
Image
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Discussion

Postby Clive Wismayer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:34 am

This question of why the cops targeted him specifically may be hard to answer but it's pretty important. One thing we never get on these forums is a prosecution lawyer or a cop. As a result, we don't get their mindset. I am doubly disadvantaged being British and consequently not familiar with the cultural differences. We don 't elect DAs over here, and the cops don't spend much time in the limelight. But basic things must apply. Solving crime must be good for your career, especially serious crime and maybe even more cold cases that defeated one's predecessors. There may come a point past which a detective cannot turn back and re-think everything, consequently becoming invested in the result. These guys deal with what, to them, must seem like the fag-end of society: a never ending stream of low life, no-hopers, ne-er do wells, bad and unattractive people. I imagine it sours the puss and makes them grim. That might lead to cynicism ('they're all guilty') and there's corruption too. They fight dirty and the laws put in place to constrain them were put there for a reason. Law is reactive. If it works don't fix it. Laws that prohibit evidence obtained in questionable circumstances are needed because without them, the cops would play hard (and sometimes dirty). The passing of laws doesn 't make the cops themselves any nicer.

Tam, you say Jamie was 'no angel'. What are we talking about here? How well known to police was he? Also, is there a photo of him from 1991. I would like to compare it with the two mug shots Martinez picked out originally.
Clive Wismayer
 

Re: Polygraphs

Postby tam » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:07 pm

tam wrote:In 1994, Jamie agreed to take a polygraph on this case and passed it:
http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_Snow.pdf

We have obtained the polygraphs from two jailhouse informants who testified against Jamie, but the state omitted the results. Crazy, huh? I currently have a FOIA request in for all polygraphs related to this case. Maybe we'll have some luck there.

Informant 1 Polygraph: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_Roland.pdf
Informant 2 Polygraph: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_SScheel.pdf


We recently got the results of the polygraphs through FOIA. Both of them failed. Go figure. It only took 13 years to get these results.
http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/docs/93_s ... ygraph.jpg
http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/docs/99_S ... ygraph.jpg
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Polygraphs

Postby Clive Wismayer » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:06 pm

tam wrote:
tam wrote:In 1994, Jamie agreed to take a polygraph on this case and passed it:
http://freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_Snow.pdf

We have obtained the polygraphs from two jailhouse informants who testified against Jamie, but the state omitted the results. Crazy, huh? I currently have a FOIA request in for all polygraphs related to this case. Maybe we'll have some luck there.

Informant 1 Polygraph: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_Roland.pdf
Informant 2 Polygraph: http://www.freejamiesnow.com/docs/LDet_SScheel.pdf


We recently got the results of the polygraphs through FOIA. Both of them failed. Go figure. It only took 13 years to get these results.
http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/docs/93_s ... ygraph.jpg
http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/docs/99_S ... ygraph.jpg

Incredible. Good for you for persisting.
Clive Wismayer
 

Re: Jamie Snow Discussion

Postby Sarah » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 pm

The Wrongful Conviction of Jamie Snow
Injustice Anywhere Radio 8pm CST Tuesday 11/19

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/injustice-anywhere/2013/11/20/the-wrongful-conviction-of-jamie-snow

Please join us to discuss Jamie Snow's case on Injustice Anywhere Radio.
Please spread the word. It's way past time for the truth to come out in Jamie's case. Listen and ask questions.

Join the group conversation during the show on the Injustice Anywhere Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/291062117582686/
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Jamie Snow Discussion

Postby Jazz » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:04 pm

Clive Wismayer wrote:Also, is there a photo of him from 1991. I would like to compare it with the two mug shots Martinez picked out originally.

I've just been poking around this thread and the many links, and there is what appears to be a photo of Mr. Snow at the beginning of this video, although I have no idea what year it was taken, of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzmA_bSN_jw

ETA: I'm entirely new to this particular case and I am having difficulty understanding it. Are the trial transcripts posted somewhere? (I have read the linked site but it does not seem to be particularly user-friendly and it does not appear to have the relevant documents readily available in usable fashion, although this might be a browser issue, I suppose.)
Jazz
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Jamie Snow Public Discussion Forum

Postby Bruce Fischer » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Jamie Snow Public Discussion Forum
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Advocate Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 pm

"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Advocate Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:40 pm

"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Public Discussion Forum

Postby Niteangel » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:28 pm

Is there more details about this case? All I know is that years later he was accused of the crime based on an eye witness statement, and that this person hadn't recognised him right after the murder (and the other details you gave about the eyewitness).
'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.' Sherlock Holmes
User avatar
Niteangel
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:15 pm

Re: Jamie Snow Public Discussion Forum

Postby Christine Bivens » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:31 pm

Niteangel wrote:Is there more details about this case? All I know is that years later he was accused of the crime based on an eye witness statement, and that this person hadn't recognised him right after the murder (and the other details you gave about the eyewitness).


Huge amount of information available @ http://www.freejamiesnow.com/
Christine Bivens
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 am

Re: Jamie Snow Public Discussion Forum

Postby Christine Bivens » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Niteangel wrote:Is there more details about this case? All I know is that years later he was accused of the crime based on an eye witness statement, and that this person hadn't recognised him right after the murder (and the other details you gave about the eyewitness).


There is also a great facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/freejamiesnow?fref=ts
Christine Bivens
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:13 am

Re: Jamie Snow Public Discussion Forum

Postby tam » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Niteangel wrote:Is there more details about this case? All I know is that years later he was accused of the crime based on an eye witness statement, and that this person hadn't recognised him right after the murder (and the other details you gave about the eyewitness).


Niteangel - please see the extended case summary here: http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/wp-conten ... 7-2-14.PDF

New evidence explained in a quick video here: http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/new-evidence-explained/

We do not have everything posted publicly, so if you have questions, please feel free to ask.

tam
tam
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Sarah » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Please join us at the Appellate Court in Springfield on May 12 @ 11am. More arguments on the Jamie Snow case - more new evidence! Details here:

http://blog.freejamiesnow.com/jamie-snow-back-in-appellate-court-may-12th-please-join-us-in-springfield/


Jamie Snow – Back in Appellate Court May 12th. Please join us in Springfield!

What will be argued?

This time around, we are presenting “Brady” evidence. Which means evidence that was favorable to the defendant, but was withheld from him prior to trial. So what do we have?

Polygraph: This is actually a polygraph worksheet that was obtained through FOIA requests from supporters. The actual polygraph is Jamie Snow’s – 1994. In the notes on the worksheet, “Star witness” Danny Martinez says in reference to the suspect that Snow was not the person he saw.

This evidence was never turned over to Snow. In the state’s reply brief, they make a few very thin arguments.

1) They question whether the “28 year old white male suspect” was actually Jamie Snow. However, the state neglected to redact Snow’s name on the second page of the report. Guess they missed this part?

2) The state goes onto concede that “under the assumption Snow was the subject of the polygraph, ” the witness saying the defendant “is not the person he saw” seems like a “shorthand way of explaining that Martinez did not identify defendant in 1991 when defendant stood as part of an in-person lineup that Martinez viewed.” There is absolutely no evidence that Martinez was referring to the 1991 lineup in which he did not identify Snow, or any of the other photo array’s over the years in which he failed to ID Snow.

3) Finally, the state explains that Martinez was NOT a critical witness. “Therefore, the record rebuts defendant’s characterization of Martinez as a “critical” witness against him.” And bolsters Luna’s ID at “a lot stronger than Martinez.” Recall, Luna was the 14 year old boy who ‘closed his eyes and imagined each of them doing it, and Jamie Snow best fit.” One of the few the state didn’t ask to ID Snow in court, and also one that happened to give an affidavit recanting his ID. How convenient to be able to rewrite history, eh? If only the rest of us had those magical powers.

In addition to the above claims, 2 failed polygraphs from jailhouse informants, and an affidavit from one of these informants wives is being presented. As with the above, the state is claiming, had this evidence been presented at trial, it would not have changed the outcome.

Unlike previous arguments before the appellate court, we feel these arguments will be based on Brady material, or material that was not disclosed to the defense prior to trial. And also based on whether or not this new evidence would have changed the outcome of the trial.

We sincerely hope that you will join us at this hearing on May 12th at 11am in Springfield to support Jamie Snow and The Exoneration Project.
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:41 am

Listen to our latest radio show discussing Jamie's case.

http://www.spreaker.com/user/injusticeanywhere/the-jamie-snow-case-overview-update
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Sarah » Tue May 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Jamie Snow Murder appeal to be heard Tuesday
Posted on May 11, 2015

By Joe Ragusa

SPRINGFIELD – A man currently serving a life sentence for the murder of a Bloomington gas station attendant in 1991 will have his case heard by an appellate court Tuesday.

Jamie Snow was convicted in 2001 for the death of Billy Little on Easter Sunday 1991. Little died from a gunshot wound suffered during a robbery.

Tara Thompson, an attorney with the University of Chicago’s Exoneration Project, said Snow is innocent.

“(Snow) has continued to fight and to seek information through the Freedom of Information Act that shows more information about what was happening during the investigation of his case than he originally received at trial,” Thompson said.

That includes testimony from witnesses said Snow was not at the scene of the crime – a direct contradiction of other witnesses, including Danny Martinez, that said Snow was the man who fired the fatal shot. Thompson said one of the witness statements could have been from Martinez saying Snow wasn’t at the scene, but the names were redacted by authorities.

Snow has said he was at home eating dinner with his children at the time of the murder. His appeal has been denied several times, including once from the Illinois Supreme Court in 2012.

The appeal will be heard by the Fourth District Appellate Court at 11 a.m. Tuesday in Springfield.

Joe Ragusa can be reached at joe.ragusa@cumulus.com.


http://www.wjbc.com/2015/05/11/murder-appeal-to-be-heard-tuesday/
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Sarah » Tue May 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Jamie Snow makes new bid for hearing on DNA testing

BLOOMINGTON — The fight by a Bloomington man convicted of murder in 1991 to have a hearing on evidence he claims will prove his innocence moves to the 4th District Appellate Court on Tuesday for argument.

Lawyers for Jamie Snow argue that information from polygraphs taken by several witnesses was not disclosed to the defense during Snow's 2000 trial.

Snow is serving life in prison in the death of Billy Little, a gas station clerk killed on Easter Sunday in 1991 during an apparent armed robbery.

In their appellate brief, lawyers with the Exoneration Project with the University of Chicago Law School argue that Snow was denied access to important evidence "that would have changed the outcome of the trial, evidence that impeached the main witness against him and evidence that impeached two other key witnesses in the case."

The defense contends Snow was denied access to statements allegedly made by witness Danny Martinez to a polygraph examiner in 1991 — eight years before Snow was charged with murder. Martinez went on to identify Snow as a suspect in 2000 after he saw a photograph of an earlier police lineup.

In a response filed by the state's attorneys appellate prosecutor's office, the state argues that the polygrapher's notes are not new, reliable evidence and should not lead to additional hearings in Snow's case.

The polygraph results from Martinez and a second witness, Steve Scheel, were obtained by the defense through Freedom of Information Act requests during the post-conviction process. Scheel had previously admitted that his trial testimony against Snow was false, said Snow's lawyers.

Snow also has asked a lower court for DNA testing on bullets and clothing collection in the investigation. Proceedings have been stalled for about two years in the lower court while lawyers waited for a decision by a now-retired judge in the 8th Judicial Circuit on the DNA testing.

Snow's case was moved outside McLean County because of a conflict with 11th Judicial Circuit judges.

Snow's admissions to people in Bloomington and Florida that he had killed a man during an armed robbery support the conviction, the state argues in its appellate filing.


http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/snow-makes-new-bid-for-hearing-on-dna-testing/article_24f3b788-eafc-57d7-acbc-bcada50a78d9.html
User avatar
Sarah
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3542
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 11:23 pm

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Mon May 18, 2015 12:26 am

Jamie Snow Appeal Should Leave Many Asking Why He Remains In Prison

http://groundreport.com/jamie-snow-appeal-should-leave-many-asking-why-he-remains-in-prison/
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:46 am

Injustice Anywhere has launched a petition asking McLean County State’s Attorney Jason Chambers to allow DNA testing in the Jamie Snow case.

Jamie Snow was wrongfully convicted in 2000, of a 1991 “cold case” murder and armed robbery of a gas station attendant in Bloomington, Illinois. Snow is an innocent man who remains in prison while DNA evidence goes untested in his case, even though not one shred of physical evidence has ever linked Snow to the crime.

For nearly 8 years the McLean County State’s Attorney’s Office (SAO) has fought DNA testing in this case, despite the fact that the University of Chicago’s Exoneration Project has agreed to pay for ALL DNA testing at NO COST to McLean County tax payers. The petition simply asks Jason Chambers to allow the Exoneration Project to pay for the DNA testing. There is absolutely no logical reason for Chambers to continue blocking the tests. There is no doubt that if this crime had occurred today, that the state would test every single piece of physical evidence collected from the crime scene.

The petition provides detailed information about the Jamie Snow case and also includes an audio message from Snow. Please take a moment to read the petition and listen to Snow’s audio recording. You can click on this link to view the petition: https://www.change.org/p/mclean-county-state-s-attorney-jason-chambers-support-dna-testing-for-jamie-snow#petition-letter
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:07 pm

Jason Chambers posts misinformation on Facebook to defend his opposition to DNA testing in Jamie Snow case

http://www.groundreport.com/jason-chambers-posts-misinformation-on-facebook-to-defend-his-opposition-to-dna-testing-in-jamie-snow-case/
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:37 am

Any time a prosecutor opposes DNA testing, bells go off in my head.
User avatar
Desert Fox
 
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:50 pm

Re: Jamie Snow Case Discussion

Postby Bruce Fischer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:56 pm

Jamie Snow 7th Annual Postcards in the Park event to take place this Sunday

Image

http://wrongfulconvictionnews.com/jamie-snow-7th-annual-postcards-park-event-take-place-sunday/
"This could happen to any one of you. If you don't believe it could happen, you are either misinformed or in a state of deep denial" -- Debra Milke
User avatar
Bruce Fischer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4459
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm
Location: USA


Return to Jamie Snow Case

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests