Mary Jane Veloso

These cases are suggested by forum members for research and information. Injustice Anywhere has not reviewed the details of each case and does not necessarily endorse any claims made within this section. Cases we currently advocate for can be viewed in the "Injustice Anywhere Featured Cases" section, located in the board index.
Forum rules
These cases are suggested by forum members for research and information. Injustice Anywhere has not reviewed the details of each case and does not necessarily endorse any claims made within this section. Cases we currently advocate for can be viewed in the "Injustice Anywhere Featured Cases" section, located in the board index.

Mary Jane Veloso

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:39 pm

Filipina migrant worker Mary Jane Veloso faces execution by Indonesian firing squad, convicted of being a drug mule.

#SaveMaryJaneVeloso
(on Facebook, see:) Save the Life of Mary Jane Veloso
http://migranteinternational.org/2015/04/24/savemaryjaneveloso-aquino-govt-lying-through-its-teeth-even-indonesian-lawyers-dismayed-with-ph-govt-response-on-mary-janes-case-migrante/

The Aquino government has not done all it could in aid of Veloso

Veloso has been transfered to "Execution Island" in Indonesia, but the mandatory 72 hours notice of execution has yet to be given.

An Open Letter to President Joko Widodo @jokowi_do2 of Indonesia

As Filipino migrant workers in Canada and as advocates for migrant workers all over the world, we earnestly make our appeal to His Excellency, President Joko
Widodo to have compassion for Filipina migrant worker Mary Jane Veloso. We ask His Excellency to please pardon and save the life of Mary Jane, who has been convicted of drug trafficking by the Indonesian Supreme Court and now awaits her dismal turn on death row.

As we watch and read all the appeals of Mary Jane’s family, her friends and advocates for her pardon and release, we tremble for her. We see her as one who has the utter faith and simple hope of an innocent person. In her own account of the events that led to her arrest, her complete trust in a neighbor who recruited her for work abroad made it easy for drug traffickers to trick her into going to Indonesia, not knowing she carried heroin hidden in a bag given to her.

We also appeal to your sense of justice, President Widodo, and ask that you show as much justice to Mary Jane as you would surely accord to a citizen of your country, whether in Indonesian courts or in foreign courts. We make our appeal, knowing that justice cannot be said to take place unless an innocent person receives the benefit of the appropriate rules and procedures of court and the aid, above all, of a lawyer’s skills and support.

We ask, in addition, that the President consider the advantages of having the state’s police undertake an investigation based on Mary Jane’s accounts about her recruiter’s instructions regarding her visit to Indonesia. Aside from potential proof of her innocence, such investigation could actually help in the fight against drug trafficking in Indonesia.

We hope, above all, Mr. President, for your generosity and clemency for a person who is one, among millions today, who are forced to find work abroad despite the many risks and dangers which can, and will , inflict havoc in their lives, in complete indifference to their humanity.

Tess Agustin
Chairperson, MIGRANTE Canada
    “The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Re: Mary Jane Veloso

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:44 pm

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/121331/mary-jane-veloso-moved-to-execution-island/

There is reason to believe that Veloso is a victim of human trafficking, rather than a drug mule:

Veloso’s lawyers filed the second appeal in the Supreme Court Friday morning, arguing that she is a victim of human trafficking and should be protected, Jose said.

The first appeal questioned the accuracy of the translation in the court proceedings in her case, but it was rejected by the Supreme Court.

Submitted with the second appeal was the copy of the report of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) that Veloso was a victim of an illegal job recruiter identified as Maria Cristina Sergio, her godsister.
    “The only way I can pay back for what fate and society have handed me is to try, in minor totally useless ways, to make an angry sound against injustice.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby LarryK » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:01 am

Then to be executed for being a crime victim--it's revolting.
The brain is not configured in a way that makes obedience through logical, language-based propositions possible during distress and suffering. -- James Wilder, "Neurotheology and the Life Model"
LarryK

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:19 am

LarryK wrote:Then to be executed for being a crime victim--it's revolting.

There is a large, international business in transporting economic migrants around the world. One hopes that most of these businesses are reputable, producing win-win situations for labourer/employer.

Yet the international scene is rife with abuse. Whole boats collapse underneath economic migrants in the middle of the Mediterranean. The exporters of these migrants promise them the world - including the claim that their passage is legal, and safe.

Mary Jane Veloso is simply the tip of the ice-berg, really.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:53 pm

I believe the 72 hour countdown to the execution has begun.

President Joko Widodo of Indonesia is the only one who can stop this.

http://www.jokowidodo.org/
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:20 pm

The Indonesian Internet is heating up, urging the President of Indonesia to spare Mary Jane Veloso.... She is scheduled to be shot April 28.

http://time.com/3834113/mary-jane-veloso-indonesia-philippines-death-row-jokowi/

The hashtag #MaryJane was the No. 2 trending topic on Indonesia’s Twittersphere on Friday morning, hours after Veloso was transferred to the execution island of Nusakambangan.

Indonesian celebrity chef Rahung Nasution launched a tweet storm on Friday morning, detailing how Veloso ended up in an Indonesian prison and how the Indonesian government handled her case. “Jokowi is not battling drugs. He is executing poor women, like the migrant workers in Saudi Arabia!! #MaryJane,” Rahung tweeted, referring to the two Indonesian domestic workers executed in the Middle East country last week.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Sarah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:31 pm

This leaves me with a heavy heart.
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:12 pm

The method of execution in Indonesia:

Five riflemen stand about 5 metres from the condemned. Two have blanks. The condemned can chose to sit or stand. If the three shots don't kill the condemned, then the commander is required to finish her with a head shot.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:47 pm

Philippine President Aquino promises to speak to the Indonesian President about the impending execution of Mary Jane Veloso; to pull him aside at a summit meeting in Malaysia.

http://globalnation.inquirer.net/121539/aquino-to-meet-widodo-appeal-veloso-case/
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:01 pm

It's about the supremacy of law.

http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/indonesia/91342-jokowi-mary-jane-veloso-execution?utm_content=buffere7e15&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

President Widodo does not recognize his own role as final arbiter of death, to be part of Indonesian law.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Mary Jane Veloso was not executed today in Indonesia, but the other 8 were.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/apr/28/bali-nine-andrew-chan-myuran-sukumaran-executed-indonesia-mercy

There is news from a spokesperson for Indonesia’s attorney general, however, that Mary Jane Veloso was spared after a woman who allegedly recruited her to act as a drug courier gave herself up to police in the Philippines on Tuesday.

The spokesperson said in a text message to media:

There was a request from the Philippine president regarding the perpetrator who’s suspected of committing human trafficking and surrendered in the Philippines.

MJ is needed for her testimony.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:51 am

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:31 am

Updates on Mary Jane Veloso who was spared execution by firing squad at the last minute by Indonesian President Joko Widodo. She was scheduled to be executed in Nusa Kambangan together with the Bali Nine duo from Australia, Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran; Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte; an Indonesian and four Nigerians at 1:00 am on 29 April 2015. Officially, her execution was only postponed.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/520982/pinoyabroad/news/cbcp-exec-seeks-continued-prayers-for-mary-jane-veloso

A Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines official over the weekend sought continued prayers for Mary Jane Veloso, the overseas Filipino worker facing execution for a drug-related offense in Indonesia.

Earlier, the DOJ approved the filing of illegal recruitment, estafa, and human trafficking charges against Maria Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao.

Sergio and Lacanilao were accused of duping Veloso into bringing heroin into Indonesia.

According to Santos, the DOJ's decision "is a solid and substantial evidence in favor of Mary Jane’s case."

He also described it as "tangible proof that she is an innocent victim," and that Veloso was "falsely promised and abused by drug couriers.”

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/521282/pinoyabroad/news/phl-indonesian-authorities-to-meet-after-ramadan-on-mary-jane-veloso-case-dfa

Officials from the Philippines and Indonesia are scheduled to meet after Ramadan to discuss “developments” on the case of death convict Mary Jane Veloso, whose execution was stayed in April following appeals from the Manila government.

At the same time, Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose belied claims of a local migrant worker group that Veloso is among the new batch of death row prisoners who will be executed by firing squad.

“These claims of certain groups are baseless and mere speculations,” Jose told a press briefing Monday. “Our embassy in Jakarta has not received word from the Indonesian government about this.”

http://migranteinternational.org/2015/07/09/savemaryjane-update-migrante-welcomes-doj-resolution-on-cases-vs-sergio-etal/

“We have maintained at the onset that the charges against Sergio etal are solid. We celebrate this good news with Mary Jane, the Velosos, and all supporters of the #SaveMaryJane campaign around the world. We vow to remain vigilant as we await the trials and the possibility of Mary Jane herself testifying as a witness. The fight continues until Mary Jane is permanently removed from the death row,” said Sol Pillas, Migrante International secretary-general.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:37 am

Yes, injustice advocacy works.

But today Mary Jane Veloso's legal options are narrowing.

http://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.ca/2015/08/indonesia-legal-options-to-save-mary.html

Here execution stayed in April 2015, with new vindicating evidence found for her back in The Philippines, she still is at risk of future execution.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Sarah » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Bill Williams wrote:Yes, injustice advocacy works.

But today Mary Jane Veloso's legal options are narrowing.

http://deathpenaltynews.blogspot.ca/2015/08/indonesia-legal-options-to-save-mary.html

Here execution stayed in April 2015, with new vindicating evidence found for her back in The Philippines, she still is at risk of future execution.

"legal options are narrowing'. That is really scary. I thought she had a real chance to at least have her sentence reduced.
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:50 pm

It looks like the arraignment of Mary Jane Veloso's original recruiters in The Philippines is coming up, and it an be seen as positive for Veloso. Her execution is indefinitely stayed, but can be lifted at any time.

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2015/08/19/1489880/lawyers-confident-arraignment-velosos-recruiters-proceed
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Fro what I read, Indonesia likes to execute foreigners?
Desert Fox

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Fro what I read, Indonesia likes to execute foreigners?

From Wikipedia:

In January 2015 six people (among them one Dutchman, one Brazilian, one Vietnamese, one Malawian and Nigerian) were shot for drug-related crimes. In April 2015, another eight men, including several Nigerian nationals, one Brazilian and two Australian citizens were executed, also for drug trafficking. Indonesia is well noted as "a strong advocate against the death penalty for its citizens abroad."[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Indonesia

Actual executions are not common, but the whole issue in the country seems to be shrouded in secrecy.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:47 pm

A lot of hypocrisy there
Desert Fox

Postby Samson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:09 am

I have taken a close interest in this case. MJ Veloso is completely innocent, and while it is inconceivable she will now be executed, the battle will be to extricate her from jail. It seems the Bali jails are humane places, so that is good. But why keep a striving mother from her children? This is an injustice described by strict laws that effectively say ignorance that you are carrying drugs is no excuse. But this is not to be confused with the substantively different ignorance of the law is no excuse. I hope the discussion continues here, Bill and DF and Sarah.
Justice is an issue not a word. Find one issue that isn't fair and change that, and that's justice.
Samson

Postby Desert Fox » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:20 am

Let us assume that she is 100% guilty, drug laws are simply insane. . . .
Desert Fox

Postby Samson » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:Let us assume that she is 100% guilty, drug laws are simply insane. . . .

Agreed, but we should identify the issues. I read everything I could about Mary Jane, leading up to the 2 of 9 Bali executions, and also our Tony de Malmanche, who copped 15, will be out in 10 for being duped like MJ. These people are birds of a feather, naive and well intentioned. Like all of us huh.
Justice is an issue not a word. Find one issue that isn't fair and change that, and that's justice.
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:36 am

Lurking behind all this is that Philippines exports 4,000 people a day - yes, that's a day - as foreign workers to the various foreign worker-markets in the world. Recruiters of all manner of morality are busy in Philippines satisfying this insatiable appetite for cheap, obedient labour worldwide.

Mary Jane Veloso was one of them, recruited to go to Indonesia.

To be clear, 3/4s of these labour-exports are win-win situations. A Philippine worker sacrifices 5 to 10 years overseas to send back money to support family. Since year-2000 the U.N. has been coordinating countries to receive these workers, while taking the normal immigration (work leads to citizenship) stream off the table. For instance, in Canada, Temporary Foreign Workers can only work here for four years, then have to leave for at least another 4. The live-in caregiver program which DID lead to Canadian citizenship has just recently been cancelled because of that. (Apparently they can pay Canadian taxes but are not good enough to be actual Canadians.)

One-quarter of recruiters are unscrupulous... as seen in the Mediterranean where migrants in Africa are offered boat passage, a European passport and a job - none of which are there in Europe waiting, as the migrant has spent life savings for it. If the boat survives the passage.

This volume of international movement of people who are already victimized is ripe for the more unscrupulous to hitch a ride, in the sense of either unwittingly stowing illicit drugs on to migrants, or to bribe them to do it. Either way, the migrant bears the risk.

As it has panned out for Mary Jane Veloso, even the recruiters have turned themselves in back in Philippines - presumably their conscience has got the better of them.

But with 4,000 people a day exported from Philippines to all over the world, there will be more cases like this.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:17 pm

From al Jezeera:

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2015/08/saving-mary-jane-150819102034403.html

Her lawyers argue Mary Jane is not a criminal but a victim of human trafficking.

Like so many other Filipino workers forced to leave home to find work, they say she was poor, vulnerable and deceived.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:31 am

More on this vexing case of a ruthless Asian government ignoring the obvious, the poor are duped.

http://bulatlat.com/main/2015/09/02/hou ... y-lawyers/
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:01 am

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Sarah » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:07 am

WOWSA! That seems impossible. Their heels were so dug in deep over the Bali 9! I wish this could have saved them.
Perhaps this will save Mary Jane, who I understand is most likely even actually innocent. Thanks for the update!
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:49 am

I'd not seen this before, but it is an extended story of the behind the scenes work including Migrante International as well as the National Union of Peoples Lawyers of Philippines - the photos are heartbreaking.

Here we are 4 1/2 months past that stay of execution, and the wheels of Indonesian justice grind slow. Somewhere along the line, the problem of international human-trafficking needs addressing.

I'm also loathe to post anything from the Daily Mail, but this is the Daily Mail Australia. Does that help?

Spared 30 minutes from execution: The inside story of how a Darwin woman saved a death row inmate due to be shot alongside Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran
Filipina woman Mary Jane Veloso had her execution delayed
The last-minute reprieve came after a Darwin lawyer made an 11th-hour bid

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3150692/Is-dead-No-s-alive-woman-saved-Filipina-death-row-inmate-Mary-Jane-Veloso-firing-squad-30-MINUTES-led-Andrew-Chan-Myuruan-Sukumaran.html
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:52 am

Only a grudging respect for this woman.... With only hours to spare before Mary Jane Velosos's execution, Filipina Maria Kristine Sergio (centre) gave herself up and was escorted by policemen inside a police headquarters in Quezon city, east of Manila, Philippines

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 am

The trial of Mary Jane Veloso's "recruiters" - human traffickers - began in Manila on Nov 11. Whether innocent or guilty, the trial threatens to pull back the curtain on the murky world of Filipino migrant works and those who recruit/export them.

http://bulatlat.com/main/2015/11/11/trial-of-mary-jane-recruiters-begins/

A huge mitigating circumstance for these two is that they turned themselves in - their admissions caused Veloso's Indonesian execution to be stayed with 1/2 hour to spare.

The trial for Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao continues.

In a joint statement, (Veloso family Lawyer Edre) Olalia and NUPL assistant secretary general for legal services Ephraim Cortez said the lawyers of the accused “continue to unscrupulously dribble the proceedings in the human trafficking case filed by Mary Jane and her family.”

Olalia, during the hearing, referred to this as “dribbling the case” and “legal shopping.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:09 am

Sarah wrote:

WOWSA! That seems impossible. Their heels were so dug in deep over the Bali 9! I wish this could have saved them.
Perhaps this will save Mary Jane, who I understand is most likely even actually innocent. Thanks for the update!

Stay tuned, Sarah. This will lift the lid on what's going on for 100,000s of Filipinos - 5,000 a day (yes, that's a day) - go overseas to work. This movement of migrant workers is an industry attracting both big corporations, as well as opportunist recruiters with few scruples.

Technically, though, all of this is not directly related to the subject of IA. Well,when Mary Jane is freed, it won't be.....
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:45 pm

News today about the prosecution of Mary Jane Veloso's recruiters. I don't know what they are referring to here. Can anyone help?

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/546016/news/pinoyabroad/mary-jane-veloso-s-lawyers-in-phl-ask-court-to-junk-recruiters-mr
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:46 pm

This just came through:

#SaveMaryJane supporters welcome Pres. Widodo’s signing of Convention Against Trafficking

Supporters of the #SaveMaryJane campaign welcomed Indonesian Pres. Joko Widodo’s recent signing of the ASEAN (Association of Southeast Asian Nations) Convention Against Trafficking in Person (ACTIP), saying that the move is one step towards attaining justice for drug trafficking victim Mary Jane Veloso.

Widodo signed the said document together with other leaders of the ASEAN. The ACTIP will focus on curbing and fighting trafficking in the region, especially of women and children.

Widodo’s signing of the Convention came in light of reports that Indonesia has announced a “moratorium” on executions to focus on the country’s economy.

“These are all very welcome developments and, hopefully, indications that Pres. Widodo continues to hear our plea for Mary Jane and all other victims of trafficking who are presently on Indonesian death row. We pray that Pres. Widodo will make good his commitment to fight trafficking by evaluating cases such as Mary Jane’s. Pres. Widodo can set an example in the region by granting clemency and pardon to Mary Jane, a victim of trafficking,” said Mic Catuira, Migrante International deputy secretary-general.

Consequently, Catuira said, it is now more than imperative for the Philippine government to ensure that the trafficking and illegal recruitment cases filed against Mary Jane’s traffickers in Philippine courts embark without further delay. “The resolution of these cases will prove once and for all Mary Jane’s innocence. It has been eight months since Mary Jane’s temporary reprieve, and still the trials are in their preliminary stages.”

Scheduled arraignment for Mary Jane’s traffickers on cases of large-scale and syndicated illegal recruitment will not be until February 2016, following series of delaying tactics by the defense. Meanwhile, the qualified trafficking case filed by Mary Jane herself and the Veloso family is yet to roll in court.

“Indonesia’s reported ‘moratorium’ is a welcome Christmas gift for Mary Jane and her family. We wish for positive developments on Mary Jane’s trafficking case before her 31st birthday on January 10,” Catuira said. ###
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:29 pm

An update from Garry Martinez about the present status of Mary Jane's case in Indonesia, with the connection to the Maria Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao case back in The Philippines:

http://pinoyweekly.org/new/2015/12/kumusta-na-ang-kaso-ni-mary-jane-veloso/

Garry Martinez is the head of Migrante Internationale, and also a victim of human trafficking. Maria Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao's case in Philippines is connected, as it was Sergio who turned herself in at the last minute last April, saving Veloso from an Indonesian firing squad.

Indonesia has a law against prosecuting a victim of trafficking, and it was that with spared Veloso - the only time (apparently) Indonesia has called off an execution.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:23 am

End of 2015 news about Mary Jane Veloso:

http://www.manilatimes.net/breaking_news/mary-jane-veloso-still-hoping-for-freedom/

Mary Jane Veloso, the condemned Filipina in Indonesian death row, is welcoming 2016 with high hopes that “sooner or later she will be totally free and meet her young boys again,” a private lawyer pursuing her case said.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:36 am

I am pretty sure that this means that the defence request to dismiss charges against Mary Jane Veloso's recruiters/traffickers has been denied:

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/550217/news/pinoyabroad/ca-junks-tro-plea-of-alleged-mary-jane-veloso-recruiters

For Mary Jane's life ultimately to be saved, these accused need to 'fess up all the way.

In a two-page resolution, the CA Special 17th Division said suspects Maria Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao failed to show that there was an urgent need to issue a temporary restraining order against the criminal case and their arrest.

"A mere possibility of an irreparable damage without proof of an actual existing right is not a ground for injunction. We find that petitioners failed to discharge this burden," read the CA ruling.

"There is no clear showing that petitioners have sufficiently alleged a clear and unmistakable right and that there is an extremely urgent and paramount necessity for the issuance of a TRO," it added.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 am

For some reason the Philippine press is starting to issue stuff about Mary Jane Veloso. This is a report on rights' groups within Philippines being impatient with the slow legal process, and what appears to be frivolous attempts by the alleged recruiters/traffickers to stall their proceedings.

Meanwhile Veloso lingers, still on death row in Indonesia.

http://bulatlat.com/main/2016/01/07/freemaryjane-mary-jane-veloso-supporters-call-for-vigilance/

MANILA – The supporters of Mary Jane Veloso, the Filipina on death row in Indonesia, calls on the public to support efforts to #FreeMaryJane, as they lament the slow court proceedings on her case, which they attribute to “dilatory legal acrobatics” from Mary Jane’s recruiters.

Recently, the Court of Appeals denied the petition for a temporary restraining order on the court proceedings against Mary Jane’s recruiters, Maria Kristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao.
    Mary Jane’s execution in Indonesia was stayed at the eleventh hour on April 29, 2015. She has repeatedly asserted that she was only deceived to carry the 2.6 kilograms of heroin and that she was victimized by Sergio.

Sergio and Lacanilao are facing two sets of charges: the first complaint, large-scale, syndicated illegal recruitment, was filed by other women who said they were victimized by the accused, and the other, human trafficking, was filed by the Veloso family in relation to Mary Jane’s case.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Suddenly, a flood of info about Mary Jane Veloso.

Despite Indonesia starting another round of executions, Veloso's lawyer says that she is not included, and that her stay of execution remains in effect for the time being.

http://www.ucanews.com/news/death-not-imminent-for-philippine-woman-imprisoned-in-indonesia/74908

A Filipino woman on Indonesia's death row for drug smuggling does not face imminent execution even after the Indonesian government announced on Jan. 4 that it will continue to execute drug dealers."As far as we know, it is still status quo," said Edre Olalia, lawyer of Mary Jane Veloso, who was given a stay of execution last April pending legal proceedings in the Philippines. Olalia said the Indonesian government's announcement "refers to a general policy" about new executions in general. Indonesia's National Narcotics Agency has announced that of the 55 drug convicts on death row in Indonesia, 14 are awaiting execution.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:35 pm

Mary Jane Veloso's children will visit her in prison, the day after her 31st birthday.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/550491/news/pinoyabroad/mary-jane-veloso-s-kids-to-visit-her-in-indonesia

Mary Jane Veloso, the Filipina on death row in Indonesia for drug smuggling, will have a chance to see her children on Monday, a day after her 31st birthday, migrants' rights group Migrante said Friday.

"The Veloso family and Mary Jane's children are set to visit in Yogyakarta jail on January 11," said Migrante chairperson Connie Bragas-Regalado in a statement.

On January 10, the Save Mary Jane Alliance will celebrate Veloso's birthday with a Mass, symbolic action and gathering in Nueva Ecija, her home province, Regalado said.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Bill, thanks for keeping this going, I follow MJV too.

Here is one I have not heard of that may interest you in your neighbourhood. (though Canada big place :) )

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11573193

Number 5.

5. Peter Beckett
One-term Napier City Councillor Peter Beckett is accused of murdering his Canadian wife on a fishing trip. Other charges were filed after he allegedly tried to arrange the murder of five witnesses, including a policeman who investigated his case, a lawyer and his wife's parents. Laura Letts-Beckett drowned in what was originally believed to be a boating accident, she couldn't swim and was not wearing a life jacket at the time. It was later alleged Beckett pushed his wife overboard at Shelter Bay, northeast of Vancouver. His trial is set to begin Monday in the Supreme Court in Kamloops.
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:17 pm

The United Nations hosts yearly conferences on "Migration and Development", where non-refugee-movement of persons between "sending countries" and "receiving countries" is coordinated.

Aside from the economic benefit to many migrant workers, there are many landmines of pitfalls. The Mary Jane Veloso case of a Philippina migrant worker in Indonesia, still on death-row for drug-trafficking highlights one.

However, as the link below attests, there are 126 Indonesian-migrant-workers on death row in Malaysia, highlighting a well-hidden problem. The UN co-ordinates countries in ways to make money from the movement of workers, and seldom are the individual-rights of those workers addressed. Until high-profile cases like Veloso's come to the fore.

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2016/02/05/055742556/Hundreds-of-Indonesian-Workers-Face-Death-Penalty-in-Malaysia
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Movement in the case against recruiters Cristina Sergio and live-in partner Julius Lacanilao, accused of illegally recruiting Mary Jane Veloso, a Filipina on death row in Indonesia.

http://bulatlat.com/main/2016/02/11/court-enters-no-guilty-plea-for-mary-jane-recruiters/

Sergio and Lacanilao are charged with qualified human trafficking, simple illegal recruitment, and estafa. Apart from cases involving Mary Jane, the two are also charged with large-scale illegal recruitment filed by three other victims.

Mary Jane’s execution was temporarily stayed at dawn of April 29 to give way to the court proceedings against her recruiters Maria Kristina Sergio and live-in partner Julius Lacanilao, whom the Filipina in deathrow said recruited her and victimized her into bringing the 2.6 kilograms of heroin to Indonesia.

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:28 am

Bill, I am following this case. I followed in real time the executions and her reprieve. As a general comment, we must always rely on the state to operate in the interests of all citizens.
Therefore the state must NEVER KILL. As a rider, I am not sure that simple precept declares that assassinations are wrong. eg Osama bin Laden.
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:31 am

Samson wrote:Bill, I am following this case. I followed in real time the executions and her reprieve. As a general comment, we must always rely on the state to operate in the interests of all citizens.
Therefore the state must NEVER KILL. As a rider, I am not sure that simple precept declares that assassinations are wrong. eg Osama bin Laden.

The only thing which would have made the OBL assassination "right" is if it, in real-time, significantly disrupted what amounts to enemy operations and planning.

As an aside, dealing with drug offenses using capital-punishment is the ultimate failure of a society to deal responsibly with drug-abuse within. When one declares war on drugs, drugs always win because they always have the strategic advantage - a base of addicted followers. For instance, I just heard a top Washington State law-official comment after a significant amount of time of legal marijuana in the State. He said that counter to his expectations, marijuana use is now on the decline, particularly among those he'd have thought were vulnerable populations - like teens.

However, for Mary Jane Veloso the larger issue is different. It is the way that international migrant labour is organized - all the way from the United Nations, even to legitimate employment-migration brokers. There is no indput at any level from migrants themselves; as to what safeguards and rights need to be in place for them.

Without second-guessing the veracity of the charges against them, in this employment-migration climate there is always going to be the recruiters Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao's of the world. To maximize their own profits, they are always going to be tempted to "game the system" by sticking a little extra into their human-trafficked's luggage...... Sergio and Lacanilao are the small-fry, mom and pop operators in this game where large corporations get away with stuff simply because of their size and influence on their own local government.

What's happening to Veloso is happening to millions world-wide.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 am

Bill Williams wrote:
Samson wrote:Bill, I am following this case. I followed in real time the executions and her reprieve. As a general comment, we must always rely on the state to operate in the interests of all citizens.

The only thing which would have made the OBL assassination "right" is if it, in real-time, significantly disrupted what amounts to enemy operations and planning.

As an aside, dealing with drug offenses using capital-punishment is the ultimate failure of a society to deal responsibly with drug-abuse within. When one declares war on drugs, drugs always win because they always have the strategic advantage - a base of addicted followers. For instance, I just heard a top Washington State law-official comment after a significant amount of time of legal marijuana in the State. He said that counter to his expectations, marijuana use is now on the decline, particularly among those he'd have thought were vulnerable populations - like teens.

However, for Mary Jane Veloso the larger issue is different. It is the way that international migrant labour is organized - all the way from the United Nations, even to legitimate employment-migration brokers. There is no indput at any level from migrants themselves; as to what safeguards and rights need to be in place for them.

Without second-guessing the veracity of the charges against them, in this employment-migration climate there is always going to be the recruiters Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao's of the world. To maximize their own profits, they are always going to be tempted to "game the system" by sticking a little extra into their human-trafficked's luggage...... Sergio and Lacanilao are the small-fry, mom and pop operators in this game where large corporations get away with stuff simply because of their size and influence on their own local government.

What's happening to Veloso is happening to millions world-wide.

And then it is a small step to analyse child labour in China and minimum wages in New Zealand. Our key dairy industry is broken, because all farmers are losing money, and this is serious. It costs more than $5.15 to produce a kilo of solids, and the return is less than $4.This is our single biggest export item. But don't worry says the minister, tourism is making up the trade imbalance.
So let us parse that. Chinese are the wealthy tourists, and their wealth is derived from exploiting cheap and unregulated labour.
Not quite correct I know, because the Chinese are dragging themselves north on the moral compass. But New Zealand farmers are killing themselves meanwhile.
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:00 pm

Mary Jane Veloso's crime? Trusting the wrong people.....

http://bulatlat.com/main/2016/03/29/mary-jane-trusted-the-wrong-persons/
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:11 pm

Mary Jane Veloso Ph cases update
29 Mar 2016

RTC Br. 37, Baloc, Nueva Ecija

Mary Jane's elder sister Maritess was presented by NUPL private prosecutor Atty. Ephraim Cortez as the first prosecution witness in the qualified human trafficking, simple illegal recruitment and swindling cases. against the accused illegal recruiters.

Maritess recounted in vivid detail - at times tearfully - the circumstances before, during and after Mary Jane's recruitment, arrest, detention, conviction, sentencing and running reprieve from execution by firing squad.

She narrated how Mary Jane told her again a day after the reprieve almost a year ago that she was innocent.

Maritess also positively identified the accused common law partners in open court as the ones who set Mary Jane up and who boasted about being part of an international drug syndicate.

The witness also presented original pictures showing her and Mary Jane together with the Velosos, jail guards and Ph government representatives when they visited her inside Jogjakarta prison. She also presented her passport entries showing her travels to Indonesia to visit Mary Jane in jail and in the execution island in Nusakambangan, Cilacap. These stand alone documents debunk outlandish arguments of the accused that the arrest, conviction and continuing imprisonment of Mary Jane are matters that still need to be proved by official documents despite overwhelming public knowledge and notoriety.

Mary Jane's sister withstood attempts by the accused to puncture her candid testimony, sticking to her petrified account of what her sister experienced and told her.

The prosecution will present its next witness on April 28 after presenting another witness in the large scale illegal recruitment case against the same accused. #

NUPL
Private Prosecutors

Reference:
Atty. Edre U. Olalia
Secretary-General
+639175113373

Atty. Josalee S. Deinla
Assistant Secretary-General for Education
+639174316396

--

National Secretariat
National Union of Peoples' Lawyers (NUPL)
3F Erythrina Bldg., Maaralin corner Matatag Sts. Central District,Quezon City, Philippines
Telefax no.920-6660
Email addresses: nupl2007@gmail.com and nuplphilippines@yahoo.com
Follow us on twitter @nuplphilippines and facebook @https://www.facebook.com/nuplphilippines
Visit the NUPL website at http://www.nupl.net/
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:02 am

Update on Veloso, a year after her postponed execution in Indonesia.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/a ... n-reprieve

A slow-motion trial in Philippines holds the key....
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:50 pm

‪#‎freemaryjane‬
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 pm

On the eve of the first anniversary of Mary Jane Veloso's near execution in Indonesia, her mother positively identified in court the two alleged recruiters blamed for sending her to Yogyakarta Airport with heroin in her luggage.

On Thursday, April 28, Celia Veloso took the stand for the prosecution during the trial for the human trafficking case filed against Maria Christina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao at the Baloc Regional Trial Court Branch 37 in Nueva Ecija.

She followed daughter Maritess, who testified as the prosecution's first witness on a hearing on March 29, according to the National Union of People's Lawyers.

The NUPL said both Celia and Maritess positively identified Sergio and Lacanilao, who the group said "kept a cocky poise while side commenting, snickering and shaking their head" during the trial.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/564346/news/pinoyabroad/mother-identifies-mary-jane-veloso-s-alleged-recruiters-in-court
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:48 am

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sun May 01, 2016 10:56 pm

Veloso is not part of the next round of Indonesian executions according to the country's Attorney General.

http://manila.coconuts.co/2016/04/30/mary-jane-veloso-not-part-indonesias-next-round-executions-attorney-general
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu May 05, 2016 4:47 pm

Bring Back Mary Jane
Home Already

Press Statement
5 May 2016

Bring Back Mary Jane
Home Already

More than a year since her reprieve from execution and in light of new media reports that new executions of still unspecified individuals are set to resume in Indonesia at a still indefinite date, Mary Jane Veloso's family, friends, supporters and lawyers remain guardedly hopeful that she will not be included in the list even as we are deeply sad for those who will be.

We hold on to the fact that the Indonesian government will rightfully, patiently and reasonably await the resolution of the cases here in the Philippines against her accused illegal recruiters who framed her up reportedly in conspiracy with an international drug syndicate.

We urge the defense, mindful of the own rights of the accused, to cooperate in order to prioritize the hearings and expedite the proceedings. We pray for the court to use all its powers and exercise its sound discretion to accelerate the ongoing trial in order to render justice for all.

We ask the outgoing Philippine administration as well as its successor to aggressively push for the quick prosecution and conclusion of the trial and to finalize the mode and manner of how, when and where Mary Jane will testify forthwith.

At the same time, we also ask the Philippine government to reopen official channels and strongly appeal for clemency based on humanitarian grounds and considering that she has been in prison for 6 years already.

We cannot twiddle our thumbs and be obsessively compulsive with the coming elections and leave nobody looking after Mary Jane while she is waiting on death row .

Again, we implore that a keen sense of urgency must now move us. Time continues to tick.

Once more we plead, after 6 years as a victim of human and drug trafficking, send Mary Jane back home already to her little kids.# (e)

NUPL
Philippine Private Counsel
of Mary Jane & Veloso family

Edre U. Olalia
Ephraim Cortez
Ma. Cristina Yambot-Tanseco
Minerva Lopez
Josalee Deinla

Reference:

Atty. Edre U. Olalia
NUPL Secretary-General
+639175113373

Atty. Josalee S. Deinla
Assistant Secretary-General for Education
+639174316396
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sun May 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Please from Migrante International to presumptive Phillppine President Rodrigo Duterte to appeal anew for her clemency on his planned state visit to Indonesia upon assuming office.

https://migranteinternational.org/2016/05/15/velosos-to-duterte-please-appeal-for-clemency-for-mary-jane-on-planned-indonesia-visit/

For his part, Migrante International Chairperson Garry Martinez, called on Duterte to fulfill his promise of making OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) his top-most priority. “Marami pong mga OFW na katulad ni Mary Jane na nabibiktima ng mga sindikato ng droga pero hindi nabibigyan ng hustisya. We call on Pres. Duterte to make a strong and urgent appeal for clemency for Mary Jane when his state visit to Indonesia pushes through. Clemency and pardon for Mary Jane should also be one of the main bases for the strengthening of our diplomatic ties with Indonesia.”
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Sun May 15, 2016 7:25 pm

I don't wish to be the kiss of death for poor Mary Jane, but I predict she will never be shot. (I predicted the same for Chan and Sukumaran)
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 am

As Indonesian executions are set to resume for 2016, Mary Jane VELOSO is not one of them. Indonesia still claims to be waiting on the outcome of the Philippine trial of the two people who recruited Veloso for overseas work.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/07/22/ ... executions
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:58 am

Bill Williams wrote:As Indonesian executions are set to resume for 2016, Mary Jane VELOSO is not one of them. Indonesia still claims to be waiting on the outcome of the Philippine trial of the two people who recruited Veloso for overseas work.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/07/22/ ... executions

Tony de Malmanche has sensibly decided to not appeal his sentence.
Clearly he was pseudo lovestruck. Our justice minister Amy Adams is a modern Madame Defarge. She is not for bending, a cold hearted practitioner of legal principle, applauding the construct particularly to pacify the masses and chill the hearts of the quasi innocent hopeful.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/wanganui-chro ... d=11675955
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Mary Jane VELOSO was asked three and only three questions by her public defender to prepare for trial in Indonesia. What's your name, how old are you, why did you smuggle drugs?

At trial her translator botched a technical issue. When asked, "Do you wish to dispute this court?" Thinking she was already in trouble she said, "no." She'd just plead guilty.

In April 2015 she was a day away from execution when her traffickers back in Philippines turned themselves in.

Now Veloso gets to speak.

http://bulatlat.com/main/2016/08/19/court-allows-mary-janes-written-deposition/

The way the Philippine government became aware of Veloso's plight, was when it was announced she was scheduled to be executed by Indonesia in 2015. Migrante International upped the pressure, because the Indonesian court had not heard anything about the human trafficking aspect of the case.

The reason the alleged traffickers turned themselves in was once this hit Philippine news, it both exposed the Philippine government's inaction.....

..... but also exposed the alleged traffickers to vigilanteism.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Next month Philippine President Roderigo Duterte will be raising the issue of Mary Jan Veloso in a visit to Indonesia.

http://www.journal.com.ph/news/nation/duterte-prays-for-veloso
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:01 pm

He is the same one who has been promoting vigilante killing of drug dealers. . . .
Desert Fox

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:He is the same one who has been promoting vigilante killing of drug dealers. . . .

He must be convinced of her innocence!
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Bill Williams wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:He is the same one who has been promoting vigilante killing of drug dealers. . . .

He must be convinced of her innocence!

Just a little nervous with him and being such a loose cannon.
Desert Fox

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:05 am

A personal appeal from Mary Jane Veloso to President Rodrigo Duterte.

Mary Jane's personal appeal to Pres. Rodrigo Duterte, recorded from a phone call to her family last July 31, 2016. #SaveMaryJane

Watch on youtube.com
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:22 am

Fresh from telling American President Barack Obama to go to hell, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte signals that he's going to play stateman with Indonesian President Joko Widodo regarding Veloso. Duterte will be calling for mercy......

http://www.manilatimes.net/duterte-to-appeal-veloso-case/284218/

If given the opportunity, Duterte may visit Veloso in prison.

http://www.rappler.com/nation/144883-duterte-mary-jane-veloso-indonesia
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:30 pm

Mary Jane VELOSO is still in peril, Indonesia says she's overlooked for execution as long as the Philippine legal process against her traffickers is still going on.

http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/as ... executions
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:32 am

Catholic Bishop in Philippines line up behind Mary Jane Veloso.

http://www.manilatimes.net/bishops-ask-prayers-for-mary-jane-veloso/286374/
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Mary Jane Veloso, happy birthday, January 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_Veloso
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 am

Earlier this year, a Philippine court denied the request that Mary Jane Veloso be allowed to testify by videolink from her Indonesian prison against alleged human traffickers Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao. Sergio and Lacanilao are facing those charges in Philippines after turning themselves in - at the last hour in 2015 which saved Veloso from an Indonesian firing squad. Since, the trial in The Philippines has dragged on from from technicality to technicality. Veloso herself is still in danger of execution at short notice depending on the schedule issued by Indonesia. Key is the disposition of the Philippine trial of the two who alleged had put her in harms' way in 2010.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/906683/veloso-family-asks-ca-to-allow-mary-janes-deposition
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Samson » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:36 am

Bill Williams wrote:Earlier this year, a Philippine court denied the request that Mary Jane Veloso be allowed to testify by videolink from her Indonesian prison against alleged human traffickers Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao. Sergio and Lacanilao are facing those charges in Philippines after turning themselves in - at the last hour in 2015 which saved Veloso from an Indonesian firing squad. Since, the trial in The Philippines has dragged on from from technicality to technicality. Veloso herself is still in danger of execution at short notice depending on the schedule issued by Indonesia. Key is the disposition of the Philippine trial of the two who alleged had put her in harms' way in 2010.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/906683/veloso-family-asks-ca-to-allow-mary-janes-deposition

Bill, I don't think she will die.
Executing women after legal process is unusual outside of China, where they love shooting female drug mules who had no life before the alleged crimes .
It should be gender neutral of course, but Mary Jane is obviously unwitting in this case.
Portugal shines light on medacalising drugs, New Zealand is destroying a generation by bonfiring marijuana, and letting Chinese methamphetamine replace a harmless pastime.
China is a criminal organisation taking control.
Samson

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:04 am

#Savemaryjaneveloso #stophumantrafficking

Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Postby Bill Williams » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 am

Bill Williams wrote:Earlier this year, a Philippine court denied the request that Mary Jane Veloso be allowed to testify by videolink from her Indonesian prison against alleged human traffickers Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao. Sergio and Lacanilao are facing those charges in Philippines after turning themselves in - at the last hour in 2015 which saved Veloso from an Indonesian firing squad. Since, the trial in The Philippines has dragged on from from technicality to technicality. Veloso herself is still in danger of execution at short notice depending on the schedule issued by Indonesia. Key is the disposition of the Philippine trial of the two who alleged had put her in harms' way in 2010.

The Philippine government continues with its policy of not annoying Indonesia over Mary Jane Veloso's plight. This from last May:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/693909/ph- ... ll-go-free

As far as I know, Veloso sits in limbo. The Philippine Supreme Court has disallowed the opportunity for Veloso to testify by video link at Cristina Sergio and Julius Lacanilao's human trafficking trial in The Philippines, since acc. to them they have a right to face their accuser. But since Veloso sits on Indonesia's death row...... there it is.
    Martha Gellhorn
Bill Williams

Return to Possible Wrongful Convictions: Member Submissions