Sarah
Site Admin

Re: IA Wrongful Conviction Bill

Postby Sarah » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:37 am

Sarah
Site Admin

Postby TruthMatters » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:21 pm

sarah, what is the IA wrongful conviction bill? Is my computer just not pulling it up?
TruthMatters

Postby Sarah » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Sorry, yesterday I created some threads I haven't filled in yet.

The Fix the System area will be to work on systemic problems. The hope is we will create a bill to be passed in all the states and that other countries could use as a guideline.

It would include things such as requiring interrogations to be taped and compensation guidelines.

We need help with all the individual areas that should be included. This will be a huge undertaking.

Early on when we changed from IIP to IA we thought there would only be 1-2 cases to work on at a time and the rest would be work on systemic issues. It hasn't worked out that way. Cases found us quickly and could be endless really. We have been working only on individual cases up until now. In the long run I think we would help more innocent people and future possible victims by reducing problems in the system that wrongly convicts and is unable to quickly correct mistakes.
Sarah
Site Admin

Postby TruthMatters » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:40 am

Thank you for the explanation! I will be happy to help in any way I can.
TruthMatters

Postby B. Peixoto Family » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Friends in Massachusetts,
House bill 1638 was proposed to establish the MA Innocence Commission. We are currently gathering support for this tragically overdue bill here in MA which calls for the establishment of a post-conviction review unit. There are currently 12 jurisdictions with prosecutor integrity units. In Brooklyn, NY there is an ongoing probe of 90 murder cases by such a unit. Just recently, a 7th man was released since this unit was established in January of this year.

We learned of this bill after it had failed in its first run through the House this past June. We will rally for support at the start of the next session in January of 2015.
"There is no justice in the courts, only law"
B. Peixoto Family

Return to Fix the System